• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I was in class at Ivy tech(crj major) the day the VT massacre happened, the next day one of my professors turned us on to Students for concealed carry on campus. Fobus had a pretty good deal for holsters for members of the group too....:)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The most that will happen is that you would be expelled. There is no law in Indiana that does not permit on campus carry.

I wonder if the NRA would help with a lawsuit if someone got expelled. It seems the policy flies in the face of the state constitution.
    After all, many of the schools are public institutions.
    As a student at PUC why should I give up my rights to pacify someone else. To me they are using the same arguements used in the south in the '60's (it's our school we can use whatever policy we want).

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    ...why should I give up my rights to pacify someone else. To me they are using the same arguements used in the south in the '60's (it's our school we can use whatever policy we want).

The problem is a conflict of personal property rights vs. the right for a person to bear arms. To me, a private individual has every right to ban others who have no ownership claim (not named on the deed, as a trustee, etc.) in the property from bringing whatever onto the property. This includes a private business that tells employees they can't keep guns in their vehicles.

I fully expect the US Supreme Court to rule on this issue in the future, especially with some states telling private businesses they must allow their employees to bring guns onto the property. Unless the states have given these businesses blanket immunity, and/or provided funds to beef up security in case an ex or just fired employee starts shooting, I can see why businesses would be against such a ruling.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The problem is a conflict of personal property rights vs. the right for a person to bear arms. To me, a private individual has every right to ban others who have no ownership claim (not named on the deed, as a trustee, etc.) in the property from bringing whatever onto the property. This includes a private business that tells employees they can't keep guns in their vehicles.

So let's say i bought some IUPUI stock... Hell i don't know if they sell stock.

But if i had the 4 million dollars to slap my name on a fancy parking garage, i still doubt they would allow even an affluent individual, with his name on one of their own buildings, to carry on campus.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    So let's say i bought some IUPUI stock... Hell i don't know if they sell stock.

But if i had the 4 million dollars to slap my name on a fancy parking garage, i still doubt they would allow even an affluent individual, with his name on one of their own buildings, to carry on campus.
    if you had an extra 4 mill laying around you could just carry and make the charge disappear if you ever got caught.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    IU, Purdue, IUPUI, Ivytech, ISU, PUN, IUN, PNC,etc., are all public institutions. Private schools can do what they want, but I am paying for PUC twice, once in income tax and once in tuition. This allows them to violate my rights under the US and Indiana constitutions?

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Did you attend school last year?

Police make arrest in IUPUI robberies

I remmember what I was thinking when I heard about the robberies. I didn't know they found the guy though.

I'm taking night class at the BS building and at Cavanaugh, and it sometimes is a bit of a walk in the dark at night.

What time do you arrive? If you get to campus after 4:00PM you can park in the garage connected to the Student Center for free and then use the tunnel from CA to Student center! Maybe not much of a shorter walk, but at least you don't have to go outside!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Probably sound advice. However, I've talked guns with many a people in class, in groups and even with my professors. I'm writing on the 2A for one class (30-40 pg paper). I don't think talking can get you searched, and no way a professor will touch me. Police get called, tell them you'll leave, but you don't consent to a search.

:twocents:
    Im on the IUPUI campus for the next 4 years. I wont carry because I would be getting kicked out of a professional school if I was ever found out. However, I have noticed a rather strong police presence on the campus, from squad cars roaming the parking lots (not looking to give tickets, they have other people to do that), there are several officers on bikes, and a few walking around. Id say it seems to be a rather safe campus, at least there are a lot more officers on this campus than on Purdue's, even though it is still full of a bunch of unarmed fish in a barrel. I'll just have to duck and cover and I hope the bullets bend around me :):

Agan_08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Salem/Muncie
    wrote my final speech in COMM 210 at Ball State on gun control and CC... amazing how so many people who know absolutely nothing about firearms are ready to just jump on the anti-gun bandwagon

UIndyKenneth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Kokomo, IN
    Fairly certain you'd be VERY hard pressed to find ANY university nationwide that would explicitly allow or remain mute on the subject of firearms on campus.

I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out because I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread at this time of night, but there are a few universities around the country that allow it. The state of Utah has a law that keeps colleges from telling their students that they aren't able to do it if I recall correctly.

leb1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My biggest thing is I still have to make it to and from campus and I don't want to have to go home to get my sidearm before I do anything else. And when you look at going to and from campus anything could happen there so are you just D*** if you do and D*** if you dont?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My guess is if you were caught carrying on campus, you would be subject to academic expulsion. Provided you poses a valid LTCH, you could be advised of trespass, since this is a school policy rather than state law. Again, this is my best guess, and I do not claim to be a 2nd amendment attorney.

Top Bottom