• Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks, Dr. M.

Ok, I think I'm finally back on track. After a breast cancer scare and biopsy (negative :) ) and a bad flare of psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia, I finally got back in the pool, only to find that the chlorine was putting my psoriasis in overdrive. Decided to find an alternative to the pool and started attending "Senior Boot Camp". It's a 7:15 am class three days a week that rotates between strength, balance, and cardio. It's a great group of people, and I fit in well because nobody is expected to do everything perfectly. We all just do what we can. After that class I go up to the gym and do about 20-25 minutes of cardio on the Nu-step or elliptical.

I finally started dropping a few pounds again. After getting back up to 258, I'm down to 252. Hopefully I'm on the right track now.

How are the rest of you doing?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I should have joined this thread a long time ago.

I'm currently at 276, down from about 295 a year ago. Even with regular travel, diet has never been an issue (I stay pretty strictly keto). However, weekly travel and an average 70-hour workweek over the past two years have not helped with not being sedentary and working out regularly.

But, my work schedule is finally changing, due to a promotion. I am about 6 weeks into a more regular workout routine. I plan to run a 5K while on a cruise in May, and I have an initial weight-loss goal of 230 pounds. (More important goals, for me, are to eliminate even the mild dose of BP medicine I have relented to taking, and hopefully my gout/uric acid medicine. I would also like to lower my A1c slightly, so that my doctor stops harping on "pre-diabetes" :rolleyes:.)

Basically, I'm a MAFWG trying to ensure I don't become an OFWG.

jeromy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Whiteland
    Snapdragon, the best way to lose weight starts with eating. You can literally shred the weight off if you eat a low healthy diet. I've lost 20lbs is a little less than 3weeks just cutting out carbs and sugar. If you eat about 2cups of lower sugar fruits a day like berries, apples,etc. Then only 2 meals a day consisting of 6 ounces lean meat with 2cups of greens with each meal. You would cut fat quick. The biggest problem with society is we push all the unhealthy foods because they taste so good, but its all processed heavily, convenient, but terrible for our bodies. I will not lie it's super hard to start cutting out carbs completely but give it two weeks and your body will start to get used to it. You also have to cut lactose which means cheese, I know sucks, but lactose cause our bodies to produce insulin which causes our metabolism to slow down. So if you wanted to take this path lactose will have to be cut out almost completely.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Jeremy, I have been eating low carb high protein for over two months now. Virtually no sweets, starches, grains, and lots of meat, dairy, and veg. Diet on its own does very little because my body has become so accustomed to it. The key will be to add exercise.

Sent from my TA-1027 using Tapatalk

jeromy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Whiteland
    Have you tried tricking your metabolism with eating a couple bad meals with a lot of carbs and going right back to eating healthy. It tricks your metabolism to work harder. Then maybe every other week eat two meals with good amounts of carbs to keep your metabolism working.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Jeremy, I have been eating low carb high protein for over two months now. Virtually no sweets, starches, grains, and lots of meat, dairy, and veg. Diet on its own does very little because my body has become so accustomed to it. The key will be to add exercise.

Sent from my TA-1027 using Tapatalk

High protein can also cause problems. The key to keto is being low carb, high fat, and adequate protein (based on lean body mass and activity level). Additionally, the scale isn't always an accurate indicator, since it is unable to detect changes in body composition. If you, for example, replace 1 pound of fat with 1 pound of lean body mass, the scale will see no change (although, you would have improved your health considerably and increased your basal metabolic rate).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m down 146lbs since 11/2018. Like was mentioned above, I cut out all sugars, even a lot of high sugar fruits. Reduced (but did not keto-level) carbs. Reduced calories. A man my size and weight (according to a website or 2 I looked at) said I needed to consume (IIRC) <1750 calls/day (when I was at my higher weights) to lose weight quickly. So that’s what I did. As I lost weight, I had to drop that to <1500cals/day...so that’s where I’m at now.

I use the My Fitness Pal app to track weight and plan meals. I’m an engineer so I like the data gathering portion and planning part of the process :D . Today, as a matter of fact, I had a doctor’s appointment in Bloomington. My wife wanted to meet for lunch...and you know what that means—a prime opportunity to eat too much of the wrong things. I use the app to search restaurant menus and decide what I can eat and how much before I get there. It helps create a “calorie budget”, if you will, and then be able to stick to it.

That worked for me. That last 5 pounds though...It’s taking forever to lose that. :D

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    High protein can also cause problems. The key to keto is being low carb, high fat, and adequate protein (based on lean body mass and activity level). Additionally, the scale isn't always an accurate indicator, since it is unable to detect changes in body composition. If you, for example, replace 1 pound of fat with 1 pound of lean body mass, the scale will see no change (although, you would have improved your health considerably and increased your basal metabolic rate).
    I'm getting plenty of fat also. Not really aiming for pure keto, but it may have to come to that.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I’m down 146lbs since 11/2018. Like was mentioned above, I cut out all sugars, even a lot of high sugar fruits. Reduced (but did not keto-level) carbs. Reduced calories. A man my size and weight (according to a website or 2 I looked at) said I needed to consume (IIRC) <1750 calls/day (when I was at my higher weights) to lose weight quickly. So that’s what I did. As I lost weight, I had to drop that to <1500cals/day...so that’s where I’m at now.

I use the My Fitness Pal app to track weight and plan meals. I’m an engineer so I like the data gathering portion and planning part of the process :D . Today, as a matter of fact, I had a doctor’s appointment in Bloomington. My wife wanted to meet for lunch...and you know what that means—a prime opportunity to eat too much of the wrong things. I use the app to search restaurant menus and decide what I can eat and how much before I get there. It helps create a “calorie budget”, if you will, and then be able to stick to it.

That worked for me. That last 5 pounds though...It’s taking forever to lose that. :D
    Congratulations on the loss, GFGT.

Today was my cheat day because it was infusion day (for my psoriatic arthritis). I always binge on Chinese food before going in. Even so, it was mostly meat and veg, and just a smallish spoon full of rice noodles.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Congratulations on the loss, GFGT.

Today was my cheat day because it was infusion day (for my psoriatic arthritis). I always binge on Chinese food before going in. Even so, it was mostly meat and veg, and just a smallish spoon full of rice noodles.

My cheat day is sunday after church. I love Mexican food and for that one day, I allow myself to eat a few chips and a dab of rice and beans. Fajitas are great for the low carb thing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My cheat day is sunday after church. I love Mexican food and for that one day, I allow myself to eat a few chips and a dab of rice and beans. Fajitas are great for the low carb thing.
    I have discovered the low carb tortillas. I use them for everything, including bacon/egg/cheese breakfast wraps, BLT's, hot dogs, and even pizza. I take the large burrito size, put it on a cookie sheet, spread with pizza sauce, top with mozzarella and whatever else I want, and put it in the oven at 425 for 9-10 min.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have discovered the low carb tortillas. I use them for everything, including bacon/egg/cheese breakfast wraps, BLT's, hot dogs, and even pizza. I take the large burrito size, put it on a cookie sheet, spread with pizza sauce, top with mozzarella and whatever else I want, and put it in the oven at 425 for 9-10 min.
    Interesting. I haven’t seen those. We did find a keto pizza on the internet we like. You get all of the good parts of the pizza without the carbs of the bready-crust. :)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Interesting. I haven’t seen those. We did find a keto pizza on the internet we like. You get all of the good parts of the pizza without the carbs of the bready-crust. :)

https://www.missionfoods.com/products/better-for-you/low-carb-tortillas/

I prefer the whole wheat. Burrito size for pizza, the fajita size for hot dogs, and the taco size for breakfast wraps or BLT's (or any other kind of sandwich). They are not cheap, but they help tie a meal together.

Top Bottom