• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Rope is now a racist symbol, even when it's just being used to hoist construction materials.

A ‘Noose’ Was Found In A Harlem Park. NYPD Hate Crimes Unit Investigates, Discovers Innocent Origins

A random piece of rope was left behind by a crew doing construction work in a Harlem park. Before having any facts at all, several politicians tripped over themselves to denounce this traumatic event, including Andrew Cuomo.

Even after finding out it was essentially construction debris, several in the area describe being "shaken up" by the event.

NBC New York reported that people in the neighborhood are “feeling a little shaken up” even after learning the real story behind the “noose.” Someone visiting the park took a photo of the rope on June 13, causing the outrage. The rope has since been removed and the incident was investigated by the New York Police Department’s Hate Crimes Task Force investigated the noose and determined it was not a hate crime.

“The NYPD Hate Crime Task Force investigated this incident thoroughly. According to the park director, it was left over from a construction scaffold that was removed in the fall. The rope was used to hoist construction materials,” the task force tweeted.

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer immediately called the incident “despicable” before any investigation began.

“It’s disturbing that there are people out there who would do this, but we have seen these past few weeks that there are so many more who are against what this hateful symbol stands for,” she tweeted. “Our diversity makes us strong.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo also immediately jumped on the picture and claims of racism, releasing a statement about the “noose.”

“I am disgusted by the recent discovery of a noose — the epitome of hatred and an evil icon of our nation’s racist past — in Harlem’s Marcus Garvey Park,” the statement read. “New York is no place for hate, and the progress we’ve made as a society will not be undone by the work of a few cowards.”

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Rope is now a racist symbol, even when it's just being used to hoist construction materials.

A ‘Noose’ Was Found In A Harlem Park. NYPD Hate Crimes Unit Investigates, Discovers Innocent Origins

A random piece of rope was left behind by a crew doing construction work in a Harlem park. Before having any facts at all, several politicians tripped over themselves to denounce this traumatic event, including Andrew Cuomo.

Even after finding out it was essentially construction debris, several in the area describe being "shaken up" by the event.
    Once again, the demand for racism exceeds the supply.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    45i1o3.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Ha, had something similar happen while up in MI working at U of M. Someone reported a noose left at their desk so that prompted endless e-mails from administrators about diversity and tolerance until it was discovered it wasn't at someones desk but just a piece of string left in a storage room.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ha, had something similar happen while up in MI working at U of M. Someone reported a noose left at their desk so that prompted endless e-mails from administrators about diversity and tolerance until it was discovered it wasn't at someones desk but just a piece of string left in a storage room.

My wife works up at IU. They're getting ready to have a "training session" regarding this stuff. This post and her talk about this training they're going to make everyone sit through makes me wonder: At what point do people get tired of being beaten over the head with how bad they are and they have to shut up, listen, and then mend their ways before they start resenting it?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife works up at IU. They're getting ready to have a "training session" regarding this stuff. This post and her talk about this training they're going to make everyone sit through makes me wonder: At what point do people get tired of being beaten over the head with how bad they are and they have to shut up, listen, and then mend their ways before they start resenting it?
    10 years ago?

Seriously. I am so glad businesses have made SO much money, and are paying their employees SO well, they can now spend time and money solving all of the worlds woes.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Can't name a specific date, but it is already long past. The race card is badly overdrawn.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Many moons ago, I learned how to tie a noose. It just seemed like a cool knot, and I wanted to learn how to tie it. When I did, it happened that I worked at a hospital, and I got a length of traction rope (the stuff they use to hang weights to create traction on an extremity) that was being pitched out. It was too short to use for a patient, but too long for me to just leave it. So I practiced the knot until I knew how to do it right, and left the rope in that knot, and hung it from my rear view mirror in my car. Someone asked me once, "Why do you have a noose in your car?", and I calmly said, "Bad kids." and chuckled at the double-take.

Fast forward a few years, and I had a coworker at a different job, in a different place, who asked me the same question and got the same answer. No doubletake... She just got all offended and took it as a personal affront to her that I "should have known" would happen because she's Black.

I can see how it would be the impetus for thoughts of things that happened long ago. I can see even how someone might take offense, if their total focus and self-identity started and ended with being Black.

Here's the thing, though:

I don't give a da*n what your skin color is. I have a good, working brain, and I can think for myself. Don't put words in my head that aren't there, and don't assign thoughts to things to which they don't apply.

Needless to say, the noose stayed right where it was, and I told her if she didn't like it, don't look.

I eventually removed it of my own volition.

Today, someone would probably try to use it to lynch me, and I would have to shoot them. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    10 years ago?

Seriously. I am so glad businesses have made SO much money, and are paying their employees SO well, they can now spend time and money solving all of the worlds woes.

Can't name a specific date, but it is already long past. The race card is badly overdrawn.

Ehh... I don't think we're there yet. Too many of us are still acquiescing and playing along like sheep. I'm talking about when people actually start refusing to play along. No, we're really not there yet.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When they have nothing to lose.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Starting at 6 or 7am on Tuesday November 3, 2020 (or earlier if their state has early voting)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Many moons ago, I learned how to tie a noose. It just seemed like a cool knot, and I wanted to learn how to tie it. When I did, it happened that I worked at a hospital, and I got a length of traction rope (the stuff they use to hang weights to create traction on an extremity) that was being pitched out. It was too short to use for a patient, but too long for me to just leave it. So I practiced the knot until I knew how to do it right, and left the rope in that knot, and hung it from my rear view mirror in my car. Someone asked me once, "Why do you have a noose in your car?", and I calmly said, "Bad kids." and chuckled at the double-take.

Fast forward a few years, and I had a coworker at a different job, in a different place, who asked me the same question and got the same answer. No doubletake... She just got all offended and took it as a personal affront to her that I "should have known" would happen because she's Black.

I can see how it would be the impetus for thoughts of things that happened long ago. I can see even how someone might take offense, if their total focus and self-identity started and ended with being Black.

Here's the thing, though:

I don't give a da*n what your skin color is. I have a good, working brain, and I can think for myself. Don't put words in my head that aren't there, and don't assign thoughts to things to which they don't apply.

Needless to say, the noose stayed right where it was, and I told her if she didn't like it, don't look.

I eventually removed it of my own volition.

Today, someone would probably try to use it to lynch me, and I would have to shoot them. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

We made them in grade school it was cool. We were emulating the hangman in the old western movies. I led a sheltered life in a very classically liberal Democrat home and never even heard of lynching (other than cattle rustelers) until I was in the Army.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom