Indiana has joined them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I, as a civilian working for the DoD, have to abide by the Hatch Act. I can't so much as wear a political campaign button while at work (not that I would anyhow). If I were to post something like that on social media, and my employers found out, I would likely be terminated (and rightfully so). I can't believe she has not been dishonorably discharged.
    I think that kind of attitude makes one unfit for military service.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I read this article this weekend. We get the print version in the mail so it was my Saturday morning coffee read. Very well written. I just wish I could sound as well reasoned when I am discussing this topic in person.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Don’t be defensive. This isn’t personal and it’s not really about you. Everybody is at a disadvantage when our formal institutions perpetuate inequalities.

Don’t say ‘I’m not political’ to excuse yourself from this conversation. Right now, ignorance isn’t an excuse. You can’t unsee what you have seen.

You don’t have to be vocal but do ‘listen’. Listening means being open to hearing what black and minority ethnic people are saying. Be open to their lived experiences (if they choose to talk about them). You would be hard pushed to find a black or Asian person that doesn’t have a personal story of racism.

Work on your empathy. Visualise yourself in the other person’s shoes. Discrimination is dehumanisation and the only way to see a person as human is to empathise with them.

Be uncomfortable.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh

Don’t be defensive. This isn’t personal and it’s not really about you. Everybody is at a disadvantage when our formal institutions perpetuate inequalities.

Don’t say ‘I’m not political’ to excuse yourself from this conversation. Right now, ignorance isn’t an excuse. You can’t unsee what you have seen.

You don’t have to be vocal but do ‘listen’. Listening means being open to hearing what black and minority ethnic people are saying. Be open to their lived experiences (if they choose to talk about them). You would be hard pushed to find a black or Asian person that doesn’t have a personal story of racism.

Work on your empathy. Visualise yourself in the other person’s shoes. Discrimination is dehumanisation and the only way to see a person as human is to empathise with them.

Be uncomfortable.
    Seems to have been scrubbed from the website.
    Maybe the Australian states will resurrect it??

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    How different is the American left and the Taliban or isis? A little less different today.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How different is the American left and the Taliban or isis? A little less different today.

Are you comparing this to destroying statues of Buddha?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

Be uncomfortable.
    I didn't see the article, but I don't have a problem with the quotes you pulled. I agree.

However, I think it needs to be a two-way street. Lower standards for minorities when it comes to college admissions, hiring, and promotions are also discrimination and I would like for them to listen to me about that. Don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've been the victim of it. Be uncomfortable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I didn't see the article, but I don't have a problem with the quotes you pulled. I agree.

However, I think it needs to be a two-way street. Lower standards for minorities when it comes to college admissions, hiring, and promotions are also discrimination and I would like for them to listen to me about that. Don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've been the victim of it. Be uncomfortable.
    I won't be uncomfortable with who I am. You are evil if you are white that was the whole story. That's probably why they pulled it. Do I 100% disagree with them.

When I went to college the admissions office tried to get me to put down mixed race so I could get extra help with college. Since I didn't I did not get the extra help. So I guess that was discrimination. I survived though somehow. Oh I worked while going and paid for it myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom