Elkhart/Bristol, IN

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If they're still outside when you ventilate them... Chances are quite high you're gonna have a bad time with the legal system. Meaning an even WORSE time with the legal system than if they were inside.

Because, in general, if they're still outside they're not nearly as much of a threat because they're still outside. Still with me? Broken windows? So? They're still outside. I'd say that if you know you're about to get firebombed or have them shoot up the house you can't legally shoot them.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Not that I would ever fire a weapon through a door but I wonder if the homeowner would be charged in a different locale?

The homeowner would have better chance of not being charged, or of being acquitted if he was charged, if he were in Texas. There have been numerous "intoxicated fool pounding on the door at O-dark-thirty" incidents, and prosecutors and juries have not looked favorably on the pounding fool or his survivors.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It has also happened in Indiana with no charges filed.

As a gun owner, they represent a difficult situation that I will hopefully never encounter.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's a tough one. While I can't imagine ever shooting through the door, I do wonder what I'd do if there were someone I don't know banging on the door, not listening to you and then breaking the glass. Few people know the full details, so we can only speculate what might have been going through the mind of the homeowner. On one hand, he may full well have known that it was not an attack, but just a couple of drunk kids at the wrong house and then shot when the broke his window. Or, he could have really been fearful that they were up to no good and the breaking of the glass signaled to him the beginning of a forced entry. I'm guessing nobody but the homeowner knows what was going through his mind and even he may not remember everything. Sad and stupid all rolled into one story.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Could this be an unintended consequence of the State's magazine limits?

If the homeowner is not certain how many bad guys are trying to bust into his house and he knows he only has ten rounds he needed to make sure they did not breach the door to do him harm. We are not all midnight internet marksmen so it may take more than one shot to stop each intruder.

Bad state to defend yourself in, if a righteous shot hope the homeowner at least keeps his house after paying attorney fees.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I thought you had to take your double barrel shotgun, go outside, and fire two blasts in the air. :dunno:

Best song ever ... :):

[video=youtube;uv66RiFC4T0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv66RiFC4T0[/video]

Cummins513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Lowell
    Engaging in a target you cant see is a bad idea anyways, even if there was a person with intent to do harm you can't verify that the background is clear of innocent bystanders.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Engaging in a target you cant see is a bad idea anyways, even if there was a person with intent to do harm you can't verify that the background is clear of innocent bystanders.

Or that the target went down.
    You can't assume that your attacker wasn't wearing a vest, or was right behind the door, or was alone etc ...

[video=youtube;7rr88Szc5q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rr88Szc5q0[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Top Bottom