• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    My Mosin has given me an infatuation with classic bolt guns. I'm drawn to the Schmidt-Rubin design. The genius straight pull bolt design that I'm told is smooth as glass sounds amazing. I've been looking on Classicfirearms.com at their great selection and now I need some resources. I've read 7.62x54r.net enough to memorize it and want to know if there is a similar resource for Swiss rifles. The little I know from watching Hickock45 shoot one and searching the web is pointing me to the K-31. Anyone have some experiences to share to show their Swiss pride?

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    My Mosin has given me an infatuation with classic bolt guns. I'm drawn to the Schmidt-Rubin design. The genius straight pull bolt design that I'm told is smooth as glass sounds amazing. I've been looking on Classicfirearms.com at their great selection and now I need some resources. I've read 7.62x54r.net enough to memorize it and want to know if there is a similar resource for Swiss rifles. The little I know from watching Hickock45 shoot one and searching the web is pointing me to the K-31. Anyone have some experiences to share to show their Swiss pride?

SwissRifles (link here)

Very short chambered rifle. Very accurate. Mine was about 1 MOA out of the gate with Privi ammo. GP-11 is available but have never shot it. These rifles have never seen corrosive ammo. Bolt is interesting for a novice to reassemble. Quite a different animal to reload for (pay attention to instructions carefully on sizing cases and distance to lands), but mine seems to like H4350 and Hornady Match 168gr bullets in the Privi brass.

Someone once described the K31 action as the result of a Monroe shock absorber having sex with a door latch mechanism. This still makes me smile.

Les

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    Swiss rifles are 1 of the best in the world. Get one you won't regret it and it will become one of your favorite bolt actions.
    WARNING... they are addictive.
    Go to ( swissrifles.com) for good info on them.

2007_0829SR0026.jpg

2007_0829SR0021.jpg

2007_0829SR0027.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like the Swiss rifles also, they're my 2nd favorite behind the Finns. First one I bought, brought it home, wiped out the barrel, then fired five rounds of GP11 into group that you was under 2 inches. That is not extraordinary, that is typical of what I get. A person with younger better eyes than mine can easily do much better.

SwissRifles (link here)
    Someone once described the K31 action as the result of a Monroe shock absorber having sex with a door latch mechanism. This still makes me smile.

Les

Another recommendation for that link.
    Now that you mention it, it does look like that!:laugh:

Last edited:

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I really want to shoot one. I hope someone at the NWI Winamac meet and shoot brings one.
    I've shot a K31 a couple times... wish the sights had windage adjustment like the US rifles of the period, but like most of their contemporaries, they don't. The GP-11 surplus ammo is I think 174gr, can be had for about $.50/rnd, is supposed to be 1 MOA ammo out of the box, berdan primed, and is HOT stuff... a shooting buddy of mine compared the surplus ammo to firing "anti-tank rounds" like the kind that kill on one end and maim on the other. The recoil is pretty stiff, but you don't have to shoot the GP-11 ammo either. He started reloading some lighter stuff for match duty (something with 125gr heads) to make it more pleasant.

But they are smooth, have nice 2-stage triggers, and that 7.5mm Swiss round uses .308 bullets, so if you've already got a 308 rifle that you reload for, all you'll need to do is get brass and dies.

Last I checked a couple weeks ago, you can still get K31s for less than $250 online, so they're not real expensive yet. :twocents:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Everyone should own a k31. I always say it's like shooting a Swiss watch. A wonderful piece of engineering. The surplus GP11 ammo is near if not match grade ammo. Not all but a lot of k31s will have a tag under the buttplate with the soldiers name and town he lived in who was issued the gun. Mine did and I drafted a letter, had it translated into German on the Internet (the Swiss speak either German, Italian or French depending on the area they live ) found his name on the Swiss White Pages and sent the letter. Took a chance he was still living and that I had the right person. Two months later I got a reply from him. Very cool.

mosinfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent rifles. I love mine . I too had a tag under the buttplate. The tag is an owners tag. My previous owner was in a bicycle mountain patrol regiment in 1945. Mine is also a Sig.
    Enjoy, you won't regret it :D:D

Good references for sites to visit and great pics shown by others! :yesway:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I really like mine - it has a scope mounted and is very accurate. As has been stated above the Swiss never used corrosive ammo so all the rifles have great bores. The GP-11 is as good as any match ammo you can buy. There is a website where a gentleman was analyzing the tolerances of random GP-11, it was as or more perfect than any top grade ammo made. Hard hitting pretty flat shooting long range rifle. Takes a little getting used to the straight pull bolt but real neat.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    They had a wall of them at the local pawn shop...I have avoided them due to a buck a around ammo cost(thats what they said.)......50/rd is do-able. I'll have to go take a look.

What is a fair price? Anything to look for to know you're getting a good one?

Actually...I think they have a bunch of M95 straight pull bolts. Seems like the K31 might be a better one to look at.

Last edited:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I have bought the GP11 from J&G. I think current price is 36 bucks for 60 rds. I bought two 60 round packs for $50 each at Acme Friday. I figured once I paid the tab and the freight $ 50 was about right. Once the dust settles from the current panic buying, a man might find a deal for larger quantities.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    These forums are the reason I don't have money. Looks like I'm going to have to be throwing some cash at a Schmidt-Rubin now. Eh, could be worse.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Simpsons Ltd usually has tons of Swiss rifles. If you pick through and avoid some of the costlier options, you can get it down fairly cheap.

Samco has GP11 but they are slower than hell sometimes. Sportsmans Guide, AIM, etc get it in from time to time, too.

I love my Swiss rifles more than the rest - they make me seem better than I am. :)

I have a 1936 K31 with fine-adjust elevation, a 1954 K31 I saved from the scrap heap (was a barreled action when I found it), Also have a 96/11, a K11, and a Bubba'd K11 I rescued from becoming a lamp. It's beyond restoration (was a Century "Alpine" conversion that also had the receiver messed up).... but should make a good shooter eventually.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I love the bolt action surplus rifles, and they seem like great values for the money. I wish I had enough to afford one at the moment since they seem to be getting bought like wild fire. I've got my eye on a mosin, but a schmidt/k31 would be awesome. Hows the ammo availability for the K31 compared to the M44?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I love the bolt action surplus rifles, and they seem like great values for the money. I wish I had enough to afford one at the moment since they seem to be getting bought like wild fire. I've got my eye on a mosin, but a schmidt/k31 would be awesome. Hows the ammo availability for the K31 compared to the M44?
    GP11 military ammo isn't hard to find, but it runs .50/round or more.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Does anyone know a shop, brick & mortar or online, that still has the K31 for sale? I've been looking online for a few days and can't find anything other than some with cracked stocks.

Thanks.

Top Bottom