The lowly 380 and why I don't care for larger caliber compacts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure if thats sarcasm lol? I have had extensive handgun practice however. I shoot 2-3 times a week, have been since I was 10 years old or so. Practice makes perfect!

I've been interested in trying out a g42. Hopefully I can get my hands on one soon.

Not at all. I am sincere. I watch guys like you and I realize that some of that stuff they show in Hollywood movies is actually doable. Guys like you make it look easy. I am just learning and each week I do a little better but I have a long way to go. Like last Saturday for instance, as long as I shot slow I was able to get all my shots in the "0" on my IDPA target at 7 yards and I even got a mag in the head shot area at 15 yards. But as soon as I tried to do some fast shooting, I was horrible.

I was like a wide-eyed kid when I watched my first IDPA match! I was genuinely amazed at some of the shooters!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Dupolice!...who cares if its a dupe? didnt see the other post , saw this one....this thread is better anyway...have to put up with this type of crap at work..not going to here...

LOL ok dude.

People complain that people bump old threads, and keep posting the same articles, discussions all the time.
    Then you have other people that complain when you inform them the topic has already been posted/discussed.

You just can't win.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    2-3 times a week is quite a bit of shooting. I am lucky if I can go 2-3 times a month. I don't think I have firdd around since November.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Micro guns are the only option for a concealed carry for some. Having an LCP or even a NAA .22mag as a pocket pistol that disappears in the pocket & undetectable is the only option to those who wish to be armed but have to do it discretely. During warm months I cannot carry my LC9 undetected with dress clothes, the LCP fills that need during those times.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    LOL ok dude.

People complain that people bump old threads, and keep posting the same articles, discussions all the time.
    Then you have other people that complain when you inform them the topic has already been posted/discussed.

You just can't win.

Oops! I thought I was doing something good by searching for an old thread covering the subject I wanted to discuss.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The Glock 42 has got my attention. Not in any hurry to buy one.

XDs in 45 does not excite me. 9mm version I would like to try.
    I may buy a g42 simply because I have a fondness for "well working" 380's.
    I thought the xds 45 was awful, and the grip texture is like putting your hand on rough pavement and having someone jump up and down on it.
    Seriously the worst grip I have ever had the mispleasure of shooting with.
    I shot my brother's Sig and frankly I was surprised at the amount of recoil it had. He said it was because it is a blowback style pistol so they tend to hit a little harder. At least I think that was what he indicated.

I shot a Glock 42 and it felt okay. It is smaller and lighter than the Shield. Would the extra size and weight serve to equalize the felt recoil between these two?
    Extra size and weight will reduce recoil felt, but you are comparing guns chambered in 2 different calibers. If you were ok with the 42, find a shield 9mm to shoot, I'm sure you'll like it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Extra size and weight will reduce recoil felt, but you are comparing guns chambered in 2 different calibers. If you were ok with the 42, find a shield 9mm to shoot, I'm sure you'll like it.

Right. That is what I was looking for. A comparison of the larger caliber, extra weight and size compared to the smaller caliber, lower weight and size. And I am trying to find someone at the range who has a Shield. They must be out there. lol.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It seems that this thread, and article, are justifying carry of a smaller caliber in a similar sized pistol. And just as there are many different choices in guns in various calibers, there are just as many opinions to go with them. I can see the merits of a .380 in a slightly larger than micro platform. My wife first started caring a PK380, and did well with it. After getting a few years of experience under her belt, she felt comfortable moving down(and up) to a smaller platform and more powerful cartridge. Actually, she has many differing options that pretty much span the range of recoil/power issues.

I have seen some complain that the XDs 45 is uncontrollable in any sort of rapid fire. And for some I am sure that is true. I cannot do accurate double taps with my wife's XDs nearly as fast as I can with my 1911, but it is within reason of speed/accuracy for me (and her) that it is a good option. I also carry an LCP, and shoot it with what I consider acceptable accuracy for what it is. I dont expect to be shooting bullseye with it, nor do I expect it to be a competitive IPDA pistol, just something that is easy to carry, and put lead on target in a bad situation. I have let others shoot it, and after 1-2 shots have handed it back, saying "no thanks"

I will not put down someone who chooses to go lighter on caliber and larger in gun because they find it more comfortable. I am sure that if it is what they are comfortable with it will be the best option available to them if that time comes.

I guess the biggest thing I see that could change the argument would be practice. I know that it isnt always just a matter of more practice, but many times I see people opting to go light caliber/bigger gun because they find it easier to control, but also requiring less practice.

Oh, and just to set the record straight, just because you are a body builder/ macho whatever kinda guy you think should make recoil less of an issue, take a look at some of the most famous big gun shooters in the world. I think more often than not, the little guys tend to deal with recoil better than those of us that are "above average" in size.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you 45fan. I think the issue is a more comfortable gun will allow people to practice more often.

It would for me. I shot a Makarov and I am not interested in shooting that enough become proficient with it. Which I believe is part of the reason that so many reloaders load softer than factory loads. They shoot it more accurately, get on target faster and have less fatigue.

I would rather shoot .44 Special's than full house .44 magnums. Except once in awhile for fun. lol.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Not at all. I am sincere. I watch guys like you and I realize that some of that stuff they show in Hollywood movies is actually doable. Guys like you make it look easy. I am just learning and each week I do a little better but I have a long way to go. Like last Saturday for instance, as long as I shot slow I was able to get all my shots in the "0" on my IDPA target at 7 yards and I even got a mag in the head shot area at 15 yards. But as soon as I tried to do some fast shooting, I was horrible.

I was like a wide-eyed kid when I watched my first IDPA match! I was genuinely amazed at some of the shooters!

Strangely enough, when I actually take a lot of time to really focus and line up, I do worse (unless its a fullsize 1911). Its a phenomena I've never understood, but I'll take it I guess. If i ever need to throw lead at a angry crack head that wants to drink my blood, then I guess I know which method works best for me haha.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    It would for me. I shot a Makarov and I am not interested in shooting that enough become proficient with it. Which I believe is part of the reason that so many reloaders load softer than factory loads. They shoot it more accurately, get on target faster and have less fatigue.

I would rather shoot .44 Special's than full house .44 magnums. Except once in awhile for fun. lol.

speaking of russian pistols, I shot a pistol m91/30 the other day. That really sucked. The webbing between my thumb and index finger is still bruised from the bolt.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Great article, glad you shared it. A big round that doesn't get planted has no stopping power. I was at the range last week and a salesman was helping a first-time female and he puts here into a Glock-9mm... I'm observing.... she's having a real tough time loading the magazine to start with due to lack of hand strength. She gets on the line and unloads the magazine all over the target. I'm thinking,...... why not get here acclimated with a 22, 25, 32, or .380?? get her into something she can control and gain experience with before stepping up to a "professional" caliper.

Okay, she's new, what about the other guys at the range walking in with there own 9, .4 and .45 and .357 ---- after paying close attention to how everyone was doing on their targets... it appeared that the 2 out of 11 fellows shooting the larger caliper pistols and revolvers had tight groupings.... about 1/2 the balance of the fellows shots were sufficiently scattered that it was hard to discern which was the intended target(on a 5 circle paper). Okay, I need to pickup some ammo so I go over to the big store in town and while there peruse the showcase and check out a pistol I've been reading about... while I'm doing this a fellow comes in to buy his first firearm and tells the salesguy-- I want a look at a .4 cal pistol,(S&W), while the salesman is retrieving one we are chatting... he's not yet fired a pistol and starts out with .4 cal. The sales guy says: "good choice!" I'm thinking, sales guy might want to suggest getting to the firing range or some training to handle the firearm. Instead, he remarks, what can I do to get you into this piece today? All firearms require training and practice to gain competency and later achieve proficiency-- larger caliper's tend to require more time for placement consistency.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Smaller cartridge alone does not mean easier to shoot. The little 25 autos can be tricky little beasts. Full size 9mm might be intimidating at first but easily mastered. I have seen plenty of new shooters with 40 cal pistols that do fine with a little instruction. But yes 9mm is easier.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    See it all the time. People starting out with firearms that they shouldn't be. Was at the range yesterday and a dad came in with his 12 year old(maybe younger) daughter for her first time shooting. When the guy behind the counter suggested he start her with a .22 instead of the 9mm pistol the dad had, "dad" just said that he would shoot it first so she can get get a feel for it, then help her to shoot it.

Boyfriends, husbands, fathers all sabotaging getting youngsters and the uninitiated into the shooting sports by acting macho. I was teaching a NRA basic class and one guy brought his 4" barrel .357 Ruger with .357 Magnum rounds and had his girlfriend use it for her first time shooting. I was a RO at the time watching her and I could tell she was having a miserable time. I walked over and said, "here, shoot this." It was my S&W Model 617 with a 4" barrel. Same basic weight and feel of the .357 but with .22LR instead. She actually got kind of pissed at her boyfriend for having her shoot the magnum. Oops! I didn't mean for that to happen but the moral of the story is; start new shooters on .22's! The goal is to have them enjoy shooting and have them getting on target so they can feel some success.

And as others have pointed out here, a small cute little pistol that fits well in a smaller persons hands is not always the best way to start a new shooter.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When we offered NRA basic pistol we only used 22 during the class. We had a 22 1911, single action revolver, double action revolver and Sig Mosquito DA/SA auto. Goal is to introduce platforms and marksmanship. Then students could shoot their guns after class.

It is common for people to show up with little guns and revolvers. They usually finish with a Glock or MP that I loan them.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My first gun was a sig p226 in .22. After a couple of thousand rounds I bought a 9mm barrel for it. The transition to 9mm was very seamless. If starting over I would do it again. My edc is a sig p238 which is 380 and I liked it so much I bought a p938 which is 9mm. Follow up shots with the p238 are much quicker and more accurate than with the p938. With time and practice I hope to become more proficient with the p938 but for now I am better protected with the p238.

Top Bottom