• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    I found that in that article they mentioned the barrels were heavily worn when shooting steel cased as well as being "shot out" with a very limited number of rounds.

The operative part of the article is the statement about the bi-metal jackets:
    Federal 55gr – Brass-Cased – Copper Jacket
    Wolf 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)
    Tula 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)
    Brown Bear 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Lacquer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)

It is the steel in the jacket that wears the steel of the barrel as the bullet passes through it. If you can take a magnet to the bullet (not the case) and it cannot be picked up, you're probably good to go regarding wear. As others have said, the steel CASE is mostly irrelevant to the barrel, other than maybe beating on the ejector a little harder when kicking out the spent case, should fine especially out of a glock for 450 rounds. Also note though, some ranges don't allow steel case because they don't want to confirm bi-metal jackets that can spark a fire and beat up real estate (that or they want to make money reselling used brass cases for reloading

You've probably got Winchester Forged which is steel case with a brass jacket lead core bullet and is fine for your barrel:
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-usa-forged-9mm-luger-115-grain-handgun-ammunition

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    In the long run I'm sure it wouldn't add up to much but ever since reading this article it really scared me.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The barrels of the test guns were shot out in like 1/3 of the time using steel cased and I shoot for accuracy.

Specifically the gun I don't want to use it in is a new G34 that has about 400 rounds through it. I'm probably being more of a princess about it than I should be but seriously check out that article. It scared me off steel cased on any gun I plan to shoot for accuracy

Granted if I don't sell it I'll keep it around for when I have a cheaper range gun to play with but I plan to shoot competitions with my G34 so I'm trying to baby it a bit

Go back and check that article again. The steel cased ammo they used is bi-metal jacket, it's also dealing with rifle pressures. I read that same article years ago. I was never a fan of steel cased rifle ammo to begin with, but for pistols, it's a different story. You're looking at 55k vs 35k pressure differences and a huge difference in barrels.

It will be fine. Shoot it up.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I always keep some cheap steel around for places that I cant retrieve brass like tall grass or snow or for shooting in the rain. Send it down range.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    The operative part of the article is the statement about the bi-metal jackets:
    Federal 55gr – Brass-Cased – Copper Jacket
    Wolf 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)
    Tula 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)
    Brown Bear 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Lacquer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)

It is the steel in the jacket that wears the steel of the barrel as the bullet passes through it. If you can take a magnet to the bullet (not the case) and it cannot be picked up, you're probably good to go regarding wear. As others have said, the steel CASE is mostly irrelevant to the barrel, other than maybe beating on the ejector a little harder when kicking out the spent case, should fine especially out of a glock for 450 rounds. Also note though, some ranges don't allow steel case because they don't want to confirm bi-metal jackets that can spark a fire and beat up real estate (that or they want to make money reselling used brass cases for reloading

You've probably got Winchester Forged which is steel case with a brass jacket lead core bullet and is fine for your barrel:
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-usa-forged-9mm-luger-115-grain-handgun-ammunition

Yup that's what I bought. That helps quite a bit. I understand better now. Yeah my range doesn't like steel core ammo (and sells the brass casings) but I have another range close by I use that doesn't care what I shoot as long as the receiving end doesn't involve tannerite.

Go back and check that article again. The steel cased ammo they used is bi-metal jacket, it's also dealing with rifle pressures. I read that same article years ago. I was never a fan of steel cased rifle ammo to begin with, but for pistols, it's a different story. You're looking at 55k vs 35k pressure differences and a huge difference in barrels.

It will be fine. Shoot it up.

Gotcha. Appreciate the explanation. The bi-metal jacket thing didn't click for me. Makes a lot more sense now. Lock and load :shoot:

Last edited:

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Eh, I bought a case of Wolf .303 before reading the horror stories of (impressive) keyholing at stupid distances. Took my SMLE MK3 to the range, and sure enough, 4/7 of my first shots were perfect (and I mean dead perfect) keyholes @ 25 yards... If it shoots ok, send it. I'll still likely burn the rest of this at the local quarry, but definitely won't buy any more.

PPU shot perfectly, so it's definitely an ammo issue as opposed to gun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah, anytime I buy some "mistake" ammo, I just buy a gun that it will run in :>)

Ron

Currently looking for a lead compatible 44 mag lever gun for this very reason! Scored a deal on 500 rounds of 44 mag for the desert eagle several years ago but when I got it home it wasn't jacketed. Rats!! Now I HAVE to buy another rifle!:rockwoot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hobby? Guns are deadly weapons. A gun is nothing more than an explosion in a metal box in front of your face. Yes, mistakes can be costly.

Incorrect ammo can grenade your firearm. Reloading mistakes can lead to serious bodily injury or death. Not wearing PPE can lead to long-term damage. Inter alia.

You learned a cheap lesson. Shoot your ammo and take it to heart. Slow down, get it right, you'll be fine.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hobby? Guns are deadly weapons. A gun is nothing more than an explosion in a metal box in front of your face. Yes, mistakes can be costly.

Incorrect ammo can grenade your firearm. Reloading mistakes can lead to serious bodily injury or death. Not wearing PPE can lead to long-term damage. Inter alia.

You learned a cheap lesson. Shoot your ammo and take it to heart. Slow down, get it right, you'll be fine.

What hobby (worth doing) isn't deadly? Most of my guns are hobby guns.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In the long run I'm sure it wouldn't add up to much but ever since reading this article it really scared me.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The barrels of the test guns were shot out in like 1/3 of the time using steel cased and I shoot for accuracy.

Specifically the gun I don't want to use it in is a new G34 that has about 400 rounds through it. I'm probably being more of a princess about it than I should be but seriously check out that article. It scared me off steel cased on any gun I plan to shoot for accuracy

Granted if I don't sell it I'll keep it around for when I have a cheaper range gun to play with but I plan to shoot competitions with my G34 so I'm trying to baby it a bit

The barrels weren't harmed by the case being steel, they were harmed by the bi-metallic jacket of the bullet. Also your handgun is not shooting an overbore cartridge like a 223; it's not slinging lead at 3000fps. You'd do well to wear out a handgun barrel in 10x the round count of an AR15. The rest of your handgun will be falling apart before the barrel is shot out.

Top Bottom