• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Ron Paul is awesome. He has a great record during his service in Congress.

Unfortunately he is not the party choice for the GOP and any vote for him (or any other 3rd party choice) would translate into a vote for Obama because it would take a vote away from McCain.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    He is the first politician I have EVER given money to. It is sad that most of the American people are busy debating the tiny differences between the two parties, rather than the huge problems with both of them. He is supposedly going to have a big announcement at 4:30. Not sure what.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Paul lost me when asked if he knew how much revenue would be lost if he abolished the IRS. His response, "Ummm... a lot". That told me he had no concept about what he was talking about and that he had given no thought to how he would accomplish that goal. In other words, he knew a few buzz topics would excite certain people even if he had no idea how to pull it off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8RsAroH6Pw[/ame]

The other problem I had with him is his idea of pulling our troops out of every country and closing all our bases world wide. While I agree we need to get out of places like Kosovo and Iraq, just closing up shop and putting hundreds of thousands of professional soldiers out of work over night isn't a good way to stimulate the economy or to secure our interests globally. He also wanted to close a bunch of bases domestically.

I could go on, but there's a reason they called him "Dr. Nuts". I wish we had a Consitutionalist candidate that shared some of his view points, especially regarding the role of government... but he wasn't the right choice.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I could go on, but there's a reason they called him "Dr. Nuts". I wish we had a Consitutionalist candidate that shared some of his view points, especially regarding the role of government... but he wasn't the right choice.

Just once I'd like to see a third-party candidate who is actually a viable contender. It seems like every time we get one that's even close, these stories of bizarre behavior start to crop up. Remember Ross Perot?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I do like a lot about Ron Paul, but I don't like his desire for the United States to become an isolationist. In my personal opinion, that is extremely naive.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Just once I'd like to see a third-party candidate who is actually a viable contender. It seems like every time we get one that's even close, these stories of bizarre behavior start to crop up. Remember Ross Perot?

Oh yeah, I was suckered in by Perot. I actually voted for him, and wish I hadn't. But I was young and idealistic. I've longed for a 3rd party candidate since I could remember. I've always hated our two party system, it totally cripples our political system.

But yes, the 3rd party candidates always wind up being a little nutty it seems.

I wanted to like Paul, but after listening to him quite a bit, I came to realize pretty quickly the guy was off his rocker. He has some good ideas, but they get lost in some of his crazier ones... he would not be an effective President.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Cynthia McKinney and Ralph Nader? That's not naivete, that's insanity. He's gone completely off the deep end. I liked Ron Paul before I worked in Congress. After seeing how he operated, all talk and no action, I came to a completely different opinion. He never tried to advance any legislation, he never tried to work together with anyone to promote any issue. He was not a leader in any way.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I agree to some degree, full-auto. However, can you tell me that we wouldn't be in better shape after eliminating the IRS? Eliminating the Department of Education (that has done nothing but assure every child is left behind the same amount, since its founding in 1980.) What people don't get is that we spend government money like typical Americans, more than a dollar spent for every 1 dollar we have. It is going to bite us in the ass HARD.

The biggest issue I have is getting back to a gold backed dollar. All we have now is funny money, that government can print whenever they want to spend more. Our government is like a spoiled child and its people are crappy parents with no idea how to discipline. A very nice suit still costs 1 ounce of Gold. Just like it did in 1900. I'm fine that Ron Paul has some weird ideas, because the stranger ones can't get through with the checks and balances.

He doesn't agree with the war on drugs. That single thing has eroded our 4th amendment rights more so than anything up until the last few years. Now the biggest erosion are people pissing all over the Constitution in the name of the war on terror. I don't agree with hard drug use and the problems it is causing, but I also don't agree with the wrong houses getting raided by SWAT and people killed. The "war" is going too far.

I wish he was a better speaker and leader, because his ideas are sound for the most part. He predicted the housing issue 8 years ago. He predicted the Georgian issue years ago as well. He is a smart man. I can respect that for almost everything, he hasn't wavered from his beliefs for many decades. It is hard to find a politician that you can say that about over the span of 4 years, heck 10 minutes for some.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I agree to some degree, full-auto. However, can you tell me that we wouldn't be in better shape after eliminating the IRS? Eliminating the Department of Education (that has done nothing but assure every child is left behind the same amount, since its founding in 1980.) What people don't get is that we spend government money like typical Americans, more than a dollar spent for every 1 dollar we have. It is going to bite us in the ass HARD.
    Oh, trust me, I despise the IRS as much any anyone. I do think we should go to either a flat tax or a national sales tax and do away with the IRS as we know it and the tax code. That's not my issue with Paul, my issue is the guy is all talking points (designed to excite people like us) and absolutely no substance. He has no plan to do any of the things he talks about. You can't vote for a man just because he throws a couple of catch phrases at you that get you excited, look more deeply at the man and you will realize he's an empty suit.

The biggest issue I have is getting back to a gold backed dollar. All we have now is funny money, that government can print whenever they want to spend more. Our government is like a spoiled child and its people are crappy parents with no idea how to discipline. A very nice suit still costs 1 ounce of Gold. Just like it did in 1900. I'm fine that Ron Paul has some weird ideas, because the stranger ones can't get through with the checks and balances.
    He's unable to deliver on his ideas. Can you name one thing he's done as a Congressman that you believe indicates he could deliver on any of his ideas?

He doesn't agree with the war on drugs. That single thing has eroded our 4th amendment rights more so than anything up until the last few years that people are pissing all over the Constitution in the name of the war on terror. I don't agree with hard drug use and the problems it is causing, but I also don't agree with the wrong houses getting raided by SWAT and people killed. The "war" is going too far.
    I don't agree with the war on drugs either. Ron Paul isn't the only guy who thinks the war on drugs is a painful joke. The problem with Paul is, he's unable to deliver on anything. He has no plan, all he has are a set of talking points that get you excited. Watch the video I posted above. When pressed to answer questions about his ideas, the man has absolutely no idea how to deliver on any of them.

If you want a guy who is universally disliked by both sides of the House, who has a reputation as being a nut on Capitol Hill... who hasn't accomplished anything while in the Congress... well, I think we can do FAR better than him.

I will give him credit for making some good points, but we need a guy who can deliver on them.

semiauto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Ron Paul is the man... I wish he would have got the republican bid. Unfortunately, some of his ideas (like abolishing the IRS, as mentioned above) are a bit hard to conceive, even in one's own imagination.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I will give him credit for making some good points, but we need a guy who can deliver on them.

I'd settle for 4-8 years of nothing being done. 4-8 years of gridlock would be heaven sent after dealing with the past 20 years of bushes and clinton.

I'd much rather see someone who does nothing in office than someone like mccain. Mccain gets things done. Unfortunately almost all of it is liberal insanity or an out and out violation of his oath to uphold and defend the Constitution i.e. it's treason.

Mccain/finegold, mccain/liberman all his work with the kennedys. Do we really want someone like that in the white house?

I'm voting for Bob Barr, hoping obama loses and mcAmnesty has a grabber on inaguration night.... and that the riots are contained to major cities.

Top Bottom