• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dude, you do know that the reason we were daylight bombing, despite its higher casualty rate, was using the Norden we were precision bombing (at least that day's version of it). The Eighth Air Force paid in blood to do all possible to minimize unnecessary civilian casualties. What more could we have done in that revisionist version of history you're selling - not prosecute the war on Germany at all?

BUGIO2 is correct. The USAAF specialized in Daylight Precision bombing, (What was considered "precision" at the time.) The RAF specialized in Area Bombing. In early 1942, the Allies decided that the RAF would bomb at night and the USAAF during the day. That way, they could keep up round-the-clock pressure on the Axis.

Air Marshall "Bomber" Harris was the RAF's version of General LeMay. He wanted to bomb the Hun back into the Stone Age. He was convinced that the more hurt you can bring upon your enemy, the sooner the war would be over, thereby saving more lives.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Cool story time. 1985 on the flight line at Mt Home AFB, ID. The Wing was conducting an Operational Readiness Exercise. I am working on the afterburner of an F-111, when the sirens go off and loud speakers call out ALARM RED, MOPP 4, TAKE COVER. I jumped out of the Ardvark and ran to the nearest bunker on the ramp. I dived in and rolled onto my back, looking straight up. As I started putting on my protective mask, a B-52 came screaming over at low level. It raced right down the flight line, with it's bomb bay doors open. I just stopped and took it all in. Beast was loud and shook the ground as it passed overhead. Pretty much knew I was obliterated, if it had been a real bomb run.

Of course, in the real world, things would have to be pretty bad if a Russian TU-95 was able to get directly over an Allied base.

pook-tu-95-cup-version-10-7_4.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Today I'm more inclined to think that " leadership war" makes more sense than "total war", focus on murdering leadership and it inner circle of people. Today a spy with a cell phone can watch a gathering of leadership and from a cafe down the street and call in enough firepower to flatten the building they are in. Destroying an economy and killing millions who often have no control is an outdated concept. Leadership should face the fear of the consequences of war on a very personal level, not the farmer or factory worker.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    But we outlawed assassination because it is uncivilized.

We just need to outlaw war and disarm completely. That will solve everything.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's not revisionist to acknowledge the Area bombing directive to the RAF and the deliberate targeting of civilians? Not selling anything.

[Your quote referenced 'the west' not just the RAF, hence my response. You are correct Harris was using area bombardment but even he was targeting military targets, just that night bombing had predictably large CAP, and remember that Harris was responding to indiscriminate bombing of population centers by the Luftwaffe]

I understand the reasoning of why it happened, I'm just saying it's been whitewashed.

Hopefully you've seen Saving Private Ryan. Do you remember how visceral that first 20 minutes was? People who were there said it was the best attempt at showing what it was like, but wasn't nearly horrible enough. I think all we know of warthat isn't firsthand experience is whitewashed

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Hopefully you've seen Saving Private Ryan. Do you remember how visceral that first 20 minutes was? People who were there said it was the best attempt at showing what it was like, but wasn't nearly horrible enough. I think all we know of warthat isn't firsthand experience is whitewashed

That was an awesome scene. I thought Band of Brothers had more of that realism. Black Hawk Down had some really good stuff too. Like when the 60 gunner couldn't hear anything. If you really want to know what war is like, pay attention to what happens to the animal next time you go hunting. They don't just fall down peacefully. Now imagine that animal is your best friend in the whole world. Now realize that that is as nice as combat can be.

Bottom line, get it over quickly. War is total these days, it isn't heroic combat from the Bronze Age. You're just deluding yourself if you think you can sterilize it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Killing the leadership is one theory on warfighting. And one many like, because it's less "messy".

But one of the theories on the beginning of WWII was that the general population felt that Germany was NOT defeated at WWI. WWI, the Germans surrendered before it had been invaded. They lost little infrastructure. They felt betrayed by "leadership". So, new "leaders" came into power. The nation thought the war was okay.
    So, during WWII, one of the allies worries was that Hitler would surrender "too early", or that German leadership would remove Hitler and then surrender too early. They wanted to pound Germany so bad, that NO one could deny that they were defeated.
    This was not to end WWII... this was to prevent WWIII.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is an interesting take. I've never heard that before, but it makes sense.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Killing the leadership is one theory on warfighting. And one many like, because it's less "messy".

But one of the theories on the beginning of WWII was that the general population felt that Germany was NOT defeated at WWI. WWI, the Germans surrendered before it had been invaded. They lost little infrastructure. They felt betrayed by "leadership". So, new "leaders" came into power. The nation thought the war was okay.
    So, during WWII, one of the allies worries was that Hitler would surrender "too early", or that German leadership would remove Hitler and then surrender too early. They wanted to pound Germany so bad, that NO one could deny that they were defeated.
    This was not to end WWII... this was to prevent WWIII.

I think the German population was done in WWI, though. There were all kinds of home front issues and that led to a lot of Generals' memoirs espousing the "Stabbed in the Back" theory.

But I didn't know that about the fear that Hitler would surrender too soon.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the German population was done in WWI, though. There were all kinds of home front issues and that led to a lot of Generals' memoirs espousing the "Stabbed in the Back" theory.

But I didn't know that about the fear that Hitler would surrender too soon.

There were "home front issues".
    People has suffered shortages in material, shortages in food, and loss of loved ones.
    But, they felt cheated.
    They had not witnessed war.
    Infrastructure was largely untouched.
    It was hard for the "man on the street" to understand things such as army units being at strength but "outmaneuvered", or long term projections of material production.

Top Bottom