• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I know, but you'd think that a newspaper editor would be smart enough to not print an obviously racist statement in an editorial.

Regardless of how I feel about Islamic terrorists, an Ameican citizen who is Muslim is still an American citizen, and deserves all the rights accorded to any one of us. For the Muncie paper to make such an obvious ploy to appeal to ignorance and fear is pretty scummy, if you ask me.

I think you miss-read the statement.

They are trying to say that if the list continues to be publicly available they will be able to tell if someone is discriminated against because they are muslim. They are not condoning denying muslims ltch.

I tis a lame attempt to evoke emotion to their side like most of the letter.

From the editorial:

Unless the bill, HB1068 is amended, this kind of examination of the gun permit process will be closed. It will be impossible for a newspaper -- or you -- to dig for this information.

It also will be nearly impossible to find out whether police or other members are denying permits to legitimate applicants, maybe because of race or names that might denote a Muslim background, for example.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Beebe, PhilOnline EditorPhil Beebe Online Editor 765-213-5820
    Sports editor of The Star Press in Muncie; married to 1987 grad Dawn Roe; we have two kids, Natalie and Drew. (12/99)

Keep up with Phil's Twitter: Phil Beebe (basscatcher) on Twitter

College:
    </SPAN>High School:
    n1421898872_6937.jpg

Gene Williams General Manager/Executive Editor 765-213-5750

Richman, BetsyCustom Publications Manager(765) 213-5806

Why not give Gene and Phil a call? I'm sure they don't mind their information being posted!

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, I did misread that statement. Instead of saying that Muslims shouldn't get permits, they're saying that the ISP might be denying permits to people based on race or religion.

Basically, they're saying that the cops are racist. Awesome.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    They are trying to say that if the list continues to be publicly available they will be able to tell if someone is discriminated against because they are muslim. They are not condoning denying muslims ltch.

I agree that this is the case they are trying to make, but it is so implausible on the face of it to be laughable.

Suddenly we are to believe that the Indy Red Star is deeply concerned about the gun rights of Muslim citizens? They aren't concerned about anyone's gun rights, except to the extent they want those rights stamped out.

If there really was a problem with the ISP denying LTCHs to Muslims, the Red Star's only response would be that they should be denying everyone else's LTCH applications too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to disagree with all of you.;) If I am going to buy a house I want to know where all of the LTCH holders are in a community. Because that is where I want to live! Don't know of a better way to screen the neighbors. If they have a LTCH it is pretty much a given that they are good law abiding citizens with good character.

Yes, whether they ment to or not this paper compared good citizens to child molesters. Guess nobody told them that criminals don't get "gun permits".

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have to disagree with all of you.;) If I am going to buy a house I want to know where all of the LTCH holders are in a community. Because that is where I want to live! Don't know of a better way to screen the neighbors. If they have a LTCH it is pretty much a given that they are good law abiding citizens with good character.

Yes, whether they ment to or not this paper compared good citizens to child molesters. Guess nobody told them that criminals don't get "gun permits".

Hey, now there is a thought. We could start our own community. The only rule in the HOA would be you must posses an LTCH to live there! :rockwoot:
    ----------

Back on a serious note...the writer of the editorial was obviously unaware that their neighbors could own guns without having an LTCH, thus making their reasons for wanting the database public, pointless.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Just another ploy to try and sell more papers...they see that the Bloomington Herald Times made national news and now Muncie wants their piece of the pie. Let them have their 15 SECONDS of fame...the law will be passed keeping the records private and people will stop buying papers because of the internet...NICE TRY MUNCIE STAR PRESS :patriot:

Top Bottom