• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    My wife went to wally world last night. She said it was a mad house. So busy that they were starting to run out of plastic bags at the check out lines.
    The up side is. I will finally get to try out the snow shoes I bought at a yard sale 2 or 3 years ago. just for fun. I don't plan on going on a walk about.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The worst is having to leave and get to work despite all that chaos. If there's no power my wife is going to be ticked when I leave to come to work. Here's to hoping we have power when it's -17F!

Side note: if you had to choose an adhesive to hold a gas line in place at the bottom of a plastic gas tank on a generator, which type woudl you go with?

Gasoline will eat through just about any adhesive on the market except a few of the high end 2 part epoxy's.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Am I the only one that finds all this consternation a bit over the top? It's January. It snows and it gets cold. Almost every year, we get some 0 and sub-zero weather. I realize they're calling for temps several degrees colder than we've seen in a while but it's not the first time I've seen these temps...and by Wednesday, it'll be back to "typical" winter weather.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Am I the only one that finds all this consternation a bit over the top? It's January. It snows and it gets cold. Almost every year, we get some 0 and sub-zero weather. I realize they're calling for temps several degrees colder than we've seen in a while but it's not the first time I've seen these temps...and by Wednesday, it'll be back to "typical" winter weather.

Welcome to Indiana. You must be new here.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I'm just hoping to get a paid pay off out of it, so, the more hysteria, the better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I grew up in the southern part of the state, winter of 77 AND 78 were awful. 82 had the -60 wind chill. I was home on leave Christmas 2004 when we got 33 inches of snow. REAL cold and LOTS of snow are rare, thankfully. I've seen some rough winters here in the Indy area. Snow + really cold=BAD I don't care who you are. I was stationed in Iceland for 3 years. Very rough weather but +9 was the coldest I saw. -30 wind chill? That's a different story. Roads that drift in a hurry? Oh yeah! Drifts as bad as I saw in Washington County 1977 (and many other years)? Nope!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So the initial Bravo Sierra "15" blizzard crap is now at a regular and expected 6"
    What a hype rumor bunch of crap.

GFGT is right, this is normal save for the extreme low and wind chill.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    LOL! I'm starting to think I'm the only one that's been here more than a winter or two. :lmfao:

If I was single I would love this kind of weather. As a father of three who has a wife that is supposed to drive a long distance to get to work on Monday, it makes me nervous. You want your family to be prepared and taken care of, however with something like this it is just beyond our control. If we lose power for an extended period of time and it's -20°, that is just a recipe for disaster. Add three small children and a wife to the mix along with my meeting to be at the hospital, potentially spending the night so that I can get there for my neck shift, and it makes for a bit of anxiety.

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I remember those late 70s winters well. A chap from KY drove a VW Beetle across the frozen Ohio River.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Probably not going to be as bad as they make it out to be, it seems every year they make most weather that would've been reported as normal years ago seem like a epicly cataclysmic event nowadays.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Honestly, these big snow predictions get me all excited like a little kid, I don't know why, I have to drive in it all day, but I say if it's going to come down, we might as well get a foot! Let the flaming begin!

Top Bottom