The New Christmas Tree. What say you function test!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I miss a real tree that only lasts 2 weeks and its done and gone. CKW will put the tree up in mid-November if I am not looking.....:faint:

A real tree with lights the size of an 1157 brake light bulb and tinsel.

Huge bulbs and metal tinsel on a real tree.

The best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I was a kid, we used to cut a tree from our own property. My sisters and I would go out around Thanksgiving and scout the property. When we found the "one" we tied a ribbon on a branch. Then, we went out on my Mom's birthday in mid December, cut it down and brought it in.

My wife and I got a live tree whenever we could. Since we have had kids, we have always had one. We used to go to one of the tree farms in Wanatah. Then, we saw a commercial for Hensler's nursery closer to Plymouth. We've gone there ever since. In recent years, I have upgraded from a bow saw to using my cordless Sawzall. It was a great move.

I have always gotten the tallest tree I could....but I am stepping back on that one. A couple of years ago, I got an 11 foot tree. That created decorating issues. We've dialed it back to about 9 feet.

Oh, and multi-colored all the way. I like an eclectic tree with the kid's home made ornaments, ornaments from various places, weird ornaments (I have a "Wrath of Khan ornament that I love) and whatever. I will NEVER agree to a theme tree or "decor" tree or whatever.

80064272_10218529367519834_2226421796825989120_n.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid, we used to cut a tree from our own property. My sisters and I would go out around Thanksgiving and scout the property. When we found the "one" we tied a ribbon on a branch. Then, we went out on my Mom's birthday in mid December, cut it down and brought it in.

My wife and I got a live tree whenever we could. Since we have had kids, we have always had one. We used to go to one of the tree farms in Wanatah. Then, we saw a commercial for Hensler's nursery closer to Plymouth. We've gone there ever since. In recent years, I have upgraded from a bow saw to using my cordless Sawzall. It was a great move.

I have always gotten the tallest tree I could....but I am stepping back on that one. A couple of years ago, I got an 11 foot tree. That created decorating issues. We've dialed it back to about 9 feet.

Oh, and multi-colored all the way. I like an eclectic tree with the kid's home made ornaments, ornaments from various places, weird ornaments (I have a "Wrath of Khan ornament that I love) and whatever. I will NEVER agree to a theme tree or "decor" tree or whatever.

80064272_10218529367519834_2226421796825989120_n.jpg

I'm right there with you Hough. We've got a mix of really old family stuff, kid-made stuff, a bunch from my old job where they would give us a really nice ornament every year for Christmas, even some of the "stained glass" ones that I made almost 40 years ago. They aren't glass, but you made them by filling the forms with colored plastic beads and baking them to melt the plastic to fill in the patterns. They're still some of my favorites.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm right there with you Hough. We've got a mix of really old family stuff, kid-made stuff, a bunch from my old job where they would give us a really nice ornament every year for Christmas, even some of the "stained glass" ones that I made almost 40 years ago. They aren't glass, but you made them by filling the forms with colored plastic beads and baking them to melt the plastic to fill in the patterns. They're still some of my favorites.

Same opinion as well, a tree should be a gaudy eclectic beautiful mess. I find the austere trees with white lights, and sparse coordinated ornaments an affront.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to put the tree up to the accompaniment of the Grinch. It's probably been 40-45 years since I've had anything to do with a live one, not because I'm some kind of tree hugger, the plastic ones just don't tie your schedule down. My personal record was taking the tree down on December 19th, because it had gotten a little unkempt out in the garage, but I still wanted to have it up. My schedule had been messed up because reasons. When I had to deal with multiple strings of lights, I would spool them around my hand and put each string in a seperate plastic bag with the plug end sticking out. That way I could test them without taking them out. Saved a lot of untangling time.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I prefer the colored lights and decorations that have been made or gifted that have some meaning as does the wife. 7ft max for us since any taller and it touches the ceiling.

I have a great aunt/uncle in TN that are very blessed to have a rather large home. She starts decorating about now as she sets up 11 trees & 11 rooms in different themes and colors for each room. She maybe obsessed lol

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looks like the color option is the winner. Christmas has taken over the covid year. The village is now up.

Top Bottom