• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just for awareness, apparently since late May, 2023, Bob is charging a 4% credit card processing fee. It's being added on to the transaction at the time the card is swiped. There is a handwritten sign flat on top of the area near the cash register. Was in there in April timeframe and picked up a couple of odds and ends and it wasn't being added then.

Went in to pick up a much larger $ transaction today and had I seen it before my card was already being swiped, I probably would have headed to get some cash (just didn't bring it with me as never had a card charge there and while my purchase wasn't small by any means, it wasn't an amount I was going to ask for a cash discount. That said, had I known it was going to be 4%, would have been worth it to spend cash.

I did already negotiate a discount on part of my purchase, but would certainly have liked to not have given some of that discount back.

Anyway, just awareness, if you are planning to buy anything of a decent amount at PSS, take cash and save yourself the new 4% credit card fee.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just for awareness, apparently since late May, 2023, Bob is charging a 4% credit card processing fee. It's being added on to the transaction at the time the card is swiped. There is a handwritten sign flat on top of the area near the cash register. Was in there in April timeframe and picked up a couple of odds and ends and it wasn't being added then.

Went in to pick up a much larger $ transaction today and had I seen it before my card was already being swiped, I probably would have headed to get some cash (just didn't bring it with me as never had a card charge there and while my purchase wasn't small by any means, it wasn't an amount I was going to ask for a cash discount. That said, had I known it was going to be 4%, would have been worth it to spend cash.

I did already negotiate a discount on part of my purchase, but would certainly have liked to not have given some of that discount back.

Anyway, just awareness, if you are planning to buy anything of a decent amount at PSS, take cash and save yourself the new 4% credit card fee.
    That would suck. Seems like most businesses would waive the fee for anything over a certain amount, or else refuse the use of a credit card below a certain amount. I get them not wanting to eat the fee for a small purchase, but not across the board. And the LGS's still wonder why online retailers are eating their lunch?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That would suck. Seems like most businesses would waive the fee for anything over a certain amount, or else refuse the use of a credit card below a certain amount. I get them not wanting to eat the fee for a small purchase, but not across the board. And the LGS's still wonder why online retailers are eating their lunch?
    Yeah, I was not thrilled at all, especially since I had the case at home, just had neglected to take it. Wish it had been posted on the door, as I would have seen it and ran back home to get cash.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Or use a Debit or Pre-Paid Credit Card. They cant charge fees with those cards.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Or use a Debit or Pre-Paid Credit Card. They cant charge fees with those cards.
    Uhm, without a PIN they can. I didn't mention that I had a $50 prepaid credit card that my daughter gave me for birthday. Before I saw the 4% charge, I handed them that first and told him to charge $50 on that. It declined because it was over the amount on the card after the processor added the 4%. Once I figured out what was happening (and they should have realized before) I told them to try it for $48, but even though the previous transaction was declined for over the amount it still ended up authorizing/holding the funds on the card for the $50. I had him give me both declined receipts from the gift card transaction.

And they were like "huh" and mentioned they had another person try and use 4 of them earlier and all were declined... I still don't think he got it when I told him you can't try and charge the prepaid card for what someone tells you is on it and have it try and authorize 4% more as the transaction amount.

The transaction is pending on the prepaid card and will hopefully fall off and replenish the card or I'm going to be really ticked. The CSR at the gift card company said it could be 8 days before it fell off. Funny how that happens with the cards, but I can get a read fund processed to my credit card and have it actually hit before I leave the store with some retailers.

I'm not a big fan of these prepaid cards. Would rather have cash. I don't buy them myself as most that are visa/Mastercard also charge an activation feel

Between PSS'S janky card processor, and their lack of understanding on not being able to charge $52 to a $50 prepaid card and the added 4% fee, I'm in less than a stellar mood. Good thing they had pretty good pricing on the items I was after and I negotiated even a bit more on the optic, or I'd have been really PO'd.

Now here's to hoping I actually get the prepaid gift card charge to fall off without a fight.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Uhm, without a PIN they can. I didn't mention that I had a $50 prepaid credit card that my daughter gave me for birthday. Before I saw the 4% charge, I handed them that first and told him to charge $50 on that. It declined because it was over the amount on the card after the processor added the 4%. Once I figured out what was happening (and they should have realized before) I told them to try it for $48, but even though the previous transaction was declined for over the amount it still ended up authorizing/holding the funds on the card for the $50. I had him give me both declined receipts from the gift card transaction.

And they were like "huh" and mentioned they had another person try and use 4 of them earlier and all were declined... I still don't think he got it when I told him you can't try and charge the prepaid card for what someone tells you is on it and have it try and authorize 4% more as the transaction amount.

The transaction is pending on the prepaid card and will hopefully fall off and replenish the card or I'm going to be really ticked. The CSR at the gift card company said it could be 8 days before it fell off. Funny how that happens with the cards, but I can get a read fund processed to my credit card and have it actually hit before I leave the store with some retailers.

I'm not a big fan of these prepaid cards. Would rather have cash. I don't buy them myself as most that are visa/Mastercard also charge an activation feel

Between PSS'S janky card processor, and their lack of understanding on not being able to charge $52 to a $50 prepaid card and the added 4% fee, I'm in less than a stellar mood. Good thing they had pretty good pricing on the items I was after and I negotiated even a bit more on the optic, or I'd have been really PO'd.

Now here's to hoping I actually get the prepaid gift card charge to fall off without a fight.
    You very well can be right sir?
    I just though I read that even if a debit is run like a CC it still is a debit withdraw at the bank, with a few extra privileges to the buyer.

You can almost always add a surcharge fee to credit card transactions, but many rules control how you do so. Meanwhile, you can never charge a surcharge fee on a debit card or prepaid card transaction.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I get solicitors once a week about changing out credit card machine. They all offer low to no costs for the buisness and the cc co. Feess are passed onto the cardholder instead of the buisness. I don't like and it seems like a lot of places don't disclose you're gonna pay a fee on top of your bill.

I have not switched and probably will not, as cc fees are worked into my pricing, however I do offer a cash discount

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I get solicitors once a week about changing out credit card machine. They all offer low to no costs for the buisness and the cc co. Feess are passed onto the cardholder instead of the buisness. I don't like and it seems like a lot of places don't disclose you're gonna pay a fee on top of your bill.

I have not switched and probably will not, as cc fees are worked into my pricing, however I do offer a cash discount
    This was one of the very few times for this type of purchase (locally owned business and while not a huge purchase, sizable enough) that I didn't take cash and ask about cash discount. I normally always do.

My wife has a small business (where she never really has the option to take cash due to the type of business and the payment being up front remotely before delivery of the service is handled) so I know card fees can add up, but adding them without disclosure would definitely make me be looking for another service provider/retailer, etc.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This was one of the very few times for this type of purchase (locally owned business and while not a huge purchase, sizable enough) that I didn't take cash and ask about cash discount. I normally always do.

My wife has a small business (where she never really has the option to take cash due to the type of business and the payment being up front remotely before delivery of the service is handled) so I know card fees can add up, but adding them without disclosure would definitely make me be looking for another service provider.
    I frequently have purchases of $3500 to sometimes $5000 or more. I couldn't imagine going in and paying my bill then finding out the $3500 was actually $3640.

I guess if I ever switched to one of these CC companies I could cut the price down but in the end the it all becomes the same.

With me though the price your told is what you're gonna pay. No surprises when you get your credit card bill

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    I recently had a retailer tell me that Visa only charges them 3/4 of a % so they don't charge it cause too many customers ask why. She said she belongs to an area retailer association and sometime a few years ago, they suggested charging 3% on your transaction. I remember that as I paid 3% for some purchases. Now it is up to 4%. I usually will NOT pay it but will go get cash. My bank reimburses me for the ATM fee up to 4 withdrawals a month.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Nothing against PSS but adding a percentage to use a card is NOT cool. That goes for any business.

If I want something on Gunbroker and they charge to use a card, I will not buy the item. If I go to a store and they charge to use a card, I’ll walk out.

Build it into your pricing if you need to but charging a customer extra because they want to pay a certain way is against every fundamental principle I have as a business owner. And don’t get me started on suggested tipping amounts at Starbucks !

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    4% is a mighty sum for just using a credit card. Imagine when we get the value added tax of at least 10% on top that when they go to fed coin and start robbing everyone blind.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Understood. It all ends up with the consumer in the end.
    Yes. It doesn't matter if the fee is added before or after. The consumer ALWAYS pays all of the fees, taxes, shipping, etc. Terms like "free shipping" are laughable. The consumer is paying for it whether they realize it or not. If you are comparing prices, the ONLY price that really matters is the final, "out the door" price, including ALL taxes, fees and shipping costs.

Every time someone uses a credit card, value is taken from every penny spent. Do it enough times and that money eventually disappears. Credit card fees are basically a huge scam that banks and card companies have pulled on the public. They are laughing all the way to the bank every time a card is swiped.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I am sure you have all seen/heard the story of 50 dollars spent 20 times electronically and what happens to it. The money goes into JP Morgan or Citi banks pocket. You better off paying cash. Cards erodes the value of money being spent.

In this day and age cards are just how we do business but not saying its the right way.

Top Bottom