The next major leap in firearms development?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If one looks at the history of firearms development, every once in a while a new technology comes along that becomes nearly universal.

If we start at the beginning, the movement of small cannon into hand held weaponry "created" the firearm.

Such leaps are match lock to flint to percussion to metallic cartridge.

Also the transition of smoothbore to rifled.

The invention of repeating firearms, especially the bolt action.

The change to smokeless powders.

The widespread adoption of spitzer bullets.

These transitions aren't ever clean or occur all at once. We end up with halfway technologies like wheel locks along the way, but clear trends in development are easily noted.

What do you think will be the next revolution in firearms technology? Electromagnetic "firearms" (rail guns, coil guns), lasers, caseless cartridges?

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Smart guns', that make (or assist in) necessary 'corrections' in order to land shots on target.

There is already such 'target acquisition' technology on fighters, tanks, etc. And there's already 'similar' technology on things like (somewhat higher dollar) digital SLR cameras, etc.

JMO.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Laser blasters of course...duh!!!

I mean, they have had those for years....a long, long time ago and even in the galaxies far, far away.

We are just soooooo far behind the times on earth.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They've been trying for caseless ammunition for decades. If they ever succeed, I wonder how long before the antis pee their pants at the realization that their pet microstamping has become obsolete.

Trouble with a railgun is getting enough energy into the projectile to make it dangerous. That takes a lot of heavy equipment that's just not going to be portable in the foreseeable future, then there's the matter of a couple orders of magnitude increase in battery capacity necessary. I somehow doubt that's even possible.

We might be able to work up a laser powerful enough to hurt enough to be useful, and small enough to fit in a pistol with a battery pack good for a few shots. No bullet drop! Sniping made easy, no noise!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Near future I would say 3-D printing guns and ammo (casing and projectile) .
    Just imagine you need to "re-load" 100 rounds of .223 for your sat. range day.
    Print up 100 cases and 100 projectiles and load them up in your printing AR lower.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Guns that will only fire for the registered owner.

Registered owner? Registered as in what? With the .gov, perhaps? I like mine with no paperwork, thank you, and I'll maintain control of it myself, without some device that's likely to fail, leaving me disarmed. What are you, some kind of brady bunch shill? If my animosity is somehow misdirected, my apologies, but this is the kind of thing that the wrong kind of people suggest.

Top Bottom