The next major leap in firearms development?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Matchlock to flintlock, ect, were not leaps in technology. There were several small adaptations and failed designes between them that made the next progression possible.

Percussion to metalic cartridge was also not a "leap" there were many breech loading black powder, and paper cartridge guns between them. Google the Needle gun. These were not all obscure guns either - some were adopted for military service.

Semi-smokeless powders existed durring the switch from BP, so even that was not a "leap".

The first bolt actions were single shot weapons, including the early Mausers. Many of the early bolt actions guns that were repeaters used a tube magazine (Gew, Lebel, Vertelli) .

I think your conception of firearms development as a series of leaps preceeded by obscure or insubstantial prototypes is wrong. You just need to do some more research and get outside the mainstream a little bit.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    My point is that your thread is based on a flawed premise, and as such there will be no "next leap", but a slow progression.

I do appreciate your sarcasm, and weak jab at my inteligence though.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Colt-Patterson revolver was a huge step. The semi-auto was a huge step. Everything else seems evolutionary opposed to revolutionary.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Cool and fun was to bypass nfa laws. Much like the sig arm brace, we will see more technology that bypasses infringing laws utile they are repealed. Then we go caseless.

Top Bottom