• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Any thoughts on what the next real US crisis will be? How are you prepping for it?

I'm leaning towards another financial crisis or a or series of small events that will trigger a deepening of the current financial crisis.
    I'm no economist so I can only guess at how the US plans to take care of the debt.
    I'm betting that whatever is done will sting us somehow so we have been diligently learning to maintain a comfortable lifestyle on less income.

IMO, the elections this November will be interesting but I think our course was set in November, 2012.
    Half the country likes things this way and the bulk of the rest are too mesmerized with fantasy football and stars-that-dance to care.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Any thoughts on what the next real US crisis will be? How are you prepping for it?

I'm leaning towards another financial crisis or a or series of small events that will trigger a deepening of the current financial crisis.
    I'm no economist so I can only guess at how the US plans to take care of the debt.
    I'm betting that whatever is done will sting us somehow so we have been diligently learning to maintain a comfortable lifestyle on less income.

IMO, the elections this November will be interesting but I think our course was set in November, 2012.
    Half the country likes things this way and the bulk of the rest are too mesmerized with fantasy football and stars-that-dance to care.

Right now we're prepping mostly for winter. Ran out of wood last year, so I'm working on having almost twice as much this year. Getting a new battery for the Gen. Stocking up on Kerosene. My wife's been canning lots and lots of stuff; green beans, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, pears, apples, apple sauce, chicken, pork, etc.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Communication Breakdown

One concern of mine is communication breakdowns which would trigger some financial issues too. Imagine the panic that would ensue if folks are without their cell phones or internet for 20-30 minutes a day at unknown times. Businesses would be unable to process financial transactions and folks would starve with no cash in their pocket to buy Big Macs. Consider the panic that exist when the INGO boards go down.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My prediction: The next real crisis we will face in the US is sending another "bought and paid for" congress to DC in November.

I have no faith in the American voter anymore.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One concern of mine is communication breakdowns which would trigger some financial issues too. Imagine the panic that would ensue if folks are without their cell phones or internet for 20-30 minutes a day at unknown times. Businesses would be unable to process financial transactions and folks would starve with no cash in their pocket to buy Big Macs. Consider the panic that exist when the INGO boards go down.

I think if the event is severe enough, our paper money won't be worth a roll of Charmin.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This isn't necessarily large-scale, but I expect third-country-passport-holding ISIS fighters to start lone-wolf or small cell attacks in the US. The reaction by our gov't would probably be large scale, and potentially more disruptive than the terrorism.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This isn't necessarily large-scale, but I expect third-country-passport-holding ISIS fighters to start lone-wolf or small cell attacks in the US. The reaction by our gov't would probably be large scale, and potentially more disruptive than the terrorism.

Same as the body's own immune reaction to poison ivy or bee stings is worse that the actual (or immune-system imagined) damage, I'm afraid you are correct. The reaction will be much more damaging that the provocation. After all, the .gov MUST be seen as "doing something."

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County

+1. It is difficult to change laws without a crisis. "They" will use the lone-wolf incidents to pass laws that will protect us. They have known about terrorists coming into the U.S. through our southern border, but they did not stop them.

This is only my opinion, but I am pretty sure the anti-gun crowd is not happy that the first terrorist performing a beheading in the U.S. was stopped by a "Hero" with a gun. They will probably try to down-play the Hero title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feHbP4k_tdk DHS whistleblower

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Financial. The total societal debt shows that our economy is one big Ponzi scheme. If it doesn't bust like a bubble, the other option is a couple more decades of what we have had the past few years: that the cost of living continues to increase relative to income. Either way, the government will have to increase its power to try to maintain control of resources. If you wish to live well and somewhat independently, I think it's best to be debt-free, and either produce much of your own food or have some skills to trade for doing so. I'm not saying there won't be food to purchase, or even given by the government, but it's more likely to continue to be mass-produced and of declining nutritional value.

More immediately, though, our personal efforts are focused on the reality we are underprepped for things like a week-long blizzard or ice storm. Those do happen in the midwest.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Right now we're prepping mostly for winter. Ran out of wood last year, so I'm working on having almost twice as much this year. Getting a new battery for the Gen. Stocking up on Kerosene. My wife's been canning lots and lots of stuff; green beans, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, pears, apples, apple sauce, chicken, pork, etc.

This, winter last wasn't fun. Generator is up to scratch and the tank is full of propane. Plenty of wood and food, I'm good.:)

Top Bottom