• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am doing more research on the Colt Bisley and the contest it was made for.
    I have found this reference that was written in the early 1900s. https://sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/book-pistol-revolver-table-contents/bisley-shooting/
    From the comments, single action revolvers were already considered obsolete.
    It also sounds like the contest was a timed event during which the targets were only visible for three seconds. The ranges given are 20 and 50 yards. (Metric lengths were not adopted until the 1970s.) From my reading of it, the shooter had to rest the pistol on a shooting rail, then raise and fire when the target was presented. The writer claimed that three seconds was more than enough time to raise, aim, and shoot. It sounds like the pistol could already be cocked as they were allowing semi-automatics at the time. Only one hand could be used and no part of the hand or shooting arm could be supported with anything other than a wrist rest. It also appears that the top shooters had to compete in a second match at 50 yards.
    Does anyone have information to confirm this?
    I would assume Bisley-style matches were held in America, but I can't find anything to confirm this.
    Any experts out there?

Top Bottom