The number of concealed handgun permits is increasing at an incredible rate.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I will probably get 10,000 different answers on this question but does Ohio now accept our Indiana CCL when driving through Ohio? I live in Indiana but work in Ohio and there is always great disagreement on this because of the new wishy washy way that the state of Ohio re-wrote their reciprocity laws starting this year.

The best source for gun reciprocity info like this is handgunlaw.us. Yes, Ohio now honors Indiana's LTCH. However, be aware that you have to follow Ohio gun laws, not Indiana's while there. Details on their laws are available at the web site.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

...Texas only has 800,000.

Just under 826,000 active licenses as of 31 Dec 2014. It appears that DPS is very busy again this year cranking them out, so would not be surprise if it breaks [STRIKE]900K[/STRIKE] 1M by end of year. ETA: I just looked at the yearly totals for licenses issued, it really took off in 2011, well over 100,000 new licenses per year.

Utah has a total for 603,000 but only 204,000 are resident permits. They are the only state showing a breakdown of resident/non-resident.

That's an interesting stat, 2/3s of their licenses are for out-of-staters. I wonder how many are from Texas. Texas's CHL is (too) expensive, the basic fee is $140 for initial, $70 for renewal, plus about $100 for the class (There are many reduced fee categories tho, like $25 for veterans, zero for active duty military). I know there is a lot of talk about Texas residents getting Utah licenses, or sometimes Florida, or some other (less expensive) state with reciprocity. Some instructors in Texas were advertising this, and it got some legislators panties in a bunch that this was somehow devious and there was a move afoot to make it illegal for a Texas resident to carry on an out-of-state license in Texas. Luckily this was tamped down. Never occurs to them that the real answer might be lowering the fee. (I know, I know, do away with licensing altogether...it's coming, it takes time).

I doubt a huge number of the Texas licenses are non-resident licenses because you have to attend the licensing course in Texas - no out-of-state classes.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    The best source for gun reciprocity info like this is handgunlaw.us. Yes, Ohio now honors Indiana's LTCH. However, be aware that you have to follow Ohio gun laws, not Indiana's while there. Details on their laws are available at the web site.

Seem to recall from another thread (about the time Ohio signed on) that they have this quirky "guilty until proven innocent" law there too regarding defending yourself with a firearm.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I would expect Indiana would be the 3 most blood shed state in the country, according to the anti's logic, if they have a logic.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Just under 826,000 active licenses as of 31 Dec 2014. It appears that DPS is very busy again this year cranking them out, so would not be surprise if it breaks [STRIKE]900K[/STRIKE] 1M by end of year. ETA: I just looked at the yearly totals for licenses issued, it really took off in 2011, well over 100,000 new licenses per year.

That's an interesting stat, 2/3s of their licenses are for out-of-staters. I wonder how many are from Texas. Texas's CHL is (too) expensive, the basic fee is $140 for initial, $70 for renewal, plus about $100 for the class (There are many reduced fee categories tho, like $25 for veterans, zero for active duty military). I know there is a lot of talk about Texas residents getting Utah licenses, or sometimes Florida, or some other (less expensive) state with reciprocity. Some instructors in Texas were advertising this, and it got some legislators panties in a bunch that this was somehow devious and there was a move afoot to make it illegal for a Texas resident to carry on an out-of-state license in Texas. Luckily this was tamped down. Never occurs to them that the real answer might be lowering the fee. (I know, I know, do away with licensing altogether...it's coming, it takes time).

I doubt a huge number of the Texas licenses are non-resident licenses because you have to attend the licensing course in Texas - no out-of-state classes.

IIRC, for the Utah license, the applicant needs to possess a resident license in their home state. So any Texans who want Utah have to go through their home state's process first.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Oh, of course. How could I forget?

Ammosexuals. The whole lot of 'em.

Don't hate on us ammosexuals. We're people too. I've been petitioning the state to let me marry my rifle but unfortunately I have had no luck. I guess I'll have to move to a liberal heaven like California.

I just had to google "ammosexual".

Is there anyplace to order an ammosexual bumper sticker? (it's not for me, it's for a friend...)

Sure it is.

Are you guys goign to make me find the Rainbow Gadsen again?

Let me find the link to the gun site wheere gun owenrs are "making it our word"

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ast-ingoer-would-love-help-spread-word-2.html
    Post 15 of the INGO thread is the flag.
    Link in Post 1 is to the "Standing up for ammosexual rights" thread on Northeast Shooters

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I hope no one finds out about my Ashley Madison account. :nailbite:

Ammosexual seeking casual relationship with 50BMG. Lesser endowed firearms need not apply.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    IIRC, for the Utah license, the applicant needs to possess a resident license in their home state. So any Texans who want Utah have to go through their home state's process first.

That's true now, but it wasn't always that way. Utah changed their law around 2012 to require non-resident first-time applicants to have a license from their home state IF Utah had reciprocity with that state -- otherwise it wasn't required. A home state license would also be required for renewals under the same condition (i.e. reciprocity).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    From: Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States by John R. Lott, John E Whitley, Rebekah C. Riley :: SSRN

Since President Obama’s election the number of concealed handgun permits has soared, growing from 4.6 million in 2007 to over 12.8 million this year. Among the findings in our report:
    -- The number of concealed handgun permits is increasing at an ever- increasing rate. Over the past year, 1.7 million additional new permits have been issued – a 15.4% increase in just one single year. This is the largest ever single-year increase in the number of concealed handgun permits.
    -- 5.2% of the total adult population has a permit.
    -- Five states now have more than 10% of their adult population with concealed handgun permits.
    -- In ten states, a permit is no longer required to carry in all or virtually all of the state. This is a major reason why legal carrying handguns is growing so much faster than the number of permits.
    -- Since 2007, permits for women has increased by 270% and for men by 156%.
    -- Some evidence suggests that permit holding by minorities is increasing more than twice as fast as for whites.
    -- Between 2007 and 2014, murder rates have fallen from 5.6 to 4.2 (preliminary estimates) per 100,000. This represents a 25% drop in the murder rate at the same time that the percentage of the adult population with permits soared by 156%. Overall violent crime also fell by 25 percent over that period of time.
    -- States with the largest increase in permits have seen the largest relative drops in murder rates.
    -- Concealed handgun permit holders are extremely law-abiding. In Florida and Texas, permit holders are convicted of misdemeanors or felonies at one-sixth the rate that police officers are convicted.

Indiana specific information:

Women LTCH holders in Indiana increased from 18.0% in June 2012 to 22.7% in March 2015
    11.62% of Indiana's adults have an LTCH which puts Indiana #3 on the list of the states with the highest population of license/permit holders.,
    Indiana has 595,361 license holders as of June 30th, 2015

Not only is he the #1 gun salesman, but also, the #1 permit salesman too !!!!!

Top Bottom