• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    Every single time I try to call BGF I get this recorded message. :xmad:Surely you are missing out on a ton of business as a result.

Do you buy a lot of guns over the phone? Any time I'm in a gun store, the only calls I ever hear (and granted, it's a small subset of calls) are from people wanting price checks so they can shop around without leaving the couch. I wouldn't even bother installing a phone for that if it were my business.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You guys employees? Or just feeling froggy? Or? My point is if you run a business of any kind it's a good idea to have multiple lines open. I can tell you that BGF has lost my business on multiple occasions because they are telephone challenged. You know who does answer the phone? Bradis.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Anyone who is saying it's ridiculous to not give business to a gun store because they don't answer their phone is a complete moron and unable to understand basics customer service. Can't answer your phone? Hire someone else. Can't afford it? Then you'll loose business and continue to drive yourself downhill. Afford to afford to answer your phones by saving money elsewhere... Can't do it? You should't run a business.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    No **** the line was in use biscuit. I've been calling the number on their website, which I'm assuming is the right number.

Yep, that's the right phone number. I don't know how many phone lines they have going into the store but they do have several phones in the back (office and range) and Michelle is usually on her phone doing business, ordering merchandise and helping customers and Janet Burge is often calling in back ground checks so even if no one is on the phones up front, they are in the back.
    But I'll take a look next time I'm in there if I ever get a chance and see how many phones lines they have, my part time job has turned into more like a full time job and I don't have an opportunity to get in there early to clean before they open in the morning much anymore.
    I've even missed the last three shooting matches because of it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I say this as a longtime customer of bgf who is a spender and not just a looker. Several times I have called and the phone line is busy for several minutes. If I call it's to see if a specific item is instock because my gas and time and limited mobility due to health keep me from making a trip just to check. It's not that much gas but it is inconvenient just to show up and wait to be helped and then be told no it's not instock. It's 2014 and we use phones. Sometimes I have found items instock that I was told on the phone that they didn't have. Anymore I just go in if I need it quick, otherwise I buy online or if I'm feeling good I go to USDS which is my favorite "shop", bgf is my favorite range. SO I can say yes it's deffinately cost them business. Most accessories I've needed recently over the last few months they bgf haven't had so I have to go elsewhere. For a shop with a full wall of AR's I'd like to see a wider range of accessories, and having the ones they do have where I can actualy see them without straining my neck while bending over a counter squinting my eyes to read labels that are somewhat in the dark. I guarentee you that if more people could easily see those AR goodies you'd sell a lot more instantly. Sometimes I see their busy and I don't even bother to ask for assistance just to see what something is or how much it's priced. And turn the AR's on the rack sideways so people can see what they are. Just a sales suggestion and free tip. Maybe a suggestion box would help them out?
    Do they do the 4473's online? Another shop recently did one for me online and I thought it was the coolest thing. That would free up phone lines.
    listening to customers (besides your friends) suggestions is good. I wish them the best. If we get a response here I hope it's from someone in charge and not someone who I've never even seen at the shop. Were trying to give you our money

Last edited:

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    OMG get these guys a kleenex. It is obvious that those that whine and complain the most, has never owned and ran a retail business before. To cater everyone's whim, BGF would need a store and employee's the size of Gander Mtn. And price everything like GM. It is no mystery that I am a fan of BGF. I am in their books enough to get a visit from ATF. Their customer service and friendly atmosphere is very hard to beat. No matter how hard BGF tries, the whiners and nit-pickers can't wait to get on INGO and create a stir. Do they have the nads to bring their complaint to store personnel? ......no. I was in BGF Saturday. There was 5 sales personnel and 12-15 customers. I heard the phone ring countless times. Everyone of the sales people were busy with someone. I waited 20 minutes to get waited on. I waited my turn. You know, like an adult. I put a Glock 19 Gen4 in layaway for my wife's Mother's day gift. Everyone is happy. Some of you people have too much time on your hands.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I stopped by BGF & Range this afternoon (Sunday) and found out that they have two phone lines, one is a FAX line. I don't know if it is a dedicated FAX line or if they can use it for voice also.

You know, you can send them an email, that way they can get to it when the're not busy with other customers or after store hours.

I was talking to some of the counter guys today also and they said that they are reluctant to search for items for phone inquiry's when they are helping other customers especially if they have a gun out from the display case but they do the best they can. I can understand that.

I know they want to expand their product line and add on to the store, but, one step at a time, their still growing.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    OMG get these guys a kleenex. It is obvious that those that whine and complain the most, has never owned and ran a retail business before. To cater everyone's whim, BGF would need a store and employee's the size of Gander Mtn. And price everything like GM. It is no mystery that I am a fan of BGF. I am in their books enough to get a visit from ATF. Their customer service and friendly atmosphere is very hard to beat. No matter how hard BGF tries, the whiners and nit-pickers can't wait to get on INGO and create a stir. Do they have the nads to bring their complaint to store personnel? ......no. I was in BGF Saturday. There was 5 sales personnel and 12-15 customers. I heard the phone ring countless times. Everyone of the sales people were busy with someone. I waited 20 minutes to get waited on. I waited my turn. You know, like an adult. I put a Glock 19 Gen4 in layaway for my wife's Mother's day gift. Everyone is happy. Some of you people have too much time on your hands.
    Obviously your customer service skills suck with an attitude like that. And if I got treated in the manner you just posted if never step foot in there again. I have voiced concerns in person. They don't really care and feel they know what's best. I'm not skeer'd big boy, like you imply. If I have a problem I voice it and especially when I'm spending my money I expect the best and nothing less. There's many others that are chomping at the bit to earn business and build ranges. I hope the owners at BGF ddont take your pompous attitude and ignore their customers.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

The nads? Are you for real guy? I was simply trying to bring to BGF's attention their lack of effective telecommunication. I have tried to bring it to their "store personnels" attention (via phone) but... Why are y'all so offended by my post? Damn man, some of you ingoers can't wait to flex your interwebz muscles. Maybe unplug for a bit? Go have a beer, take a walk and breath some fresh air. Go make love to your lady or something. *****! Life is to short to hang out online being a dik.

I dont give a **** about bgf. They have missed out on thousands of my dollars just in recent months simply because their customer service sucks. In person and on the phone. I have been in there a total of six times. One of those times I did get excellent customer service. From a little kid. He didn't really know what I wAs talking about but he was happy to run to the back and ask his dad. His dad couldn't be bothered to actually come out front and talk to me but hey, it was cool seeing the kid trying so hard to please. His dad could learn a thing from him. Another time the woman behind the counter was to busy eating to deal with me. All the other times I couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge me. Cash in hand, ready to buy. I'm actually glad BGF treated me the way they did because I have since found other way better shops and resources to meet my needs.

I was was just trying to help. Good communication is customer service 101. Every body through the door, every phone call and every email is potential dollars in your pocket. Find out who your customer is. What they want and how you can give it to them. It's called INFORMATiON CAPTURE!

And for for all you grumpy cats trolling threads like this with something sh!tty to say? Dude, get a hobby. BTW, all those fun things I mentioned above? The fresh air, beer sexy stuff? I did all that this weekend. It was a good weekend.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Why are y'all so offended by my post?

It might be because your experience has been so extremely different from ours that it honestly doesn't seem genuine. Not trying to insinuate or anything, it just seems like you must be talking about some other store even though I'm sure that's not possible. I would love to see BGF update the website to say that email is the preferred contact for price/availability questions as it is becoming obvious that they are far too busy providing a great in store experience a lot of times to answer these questions on the phone. Totally agree about Bradis and USDS as well. We are very fortunate in Indy to have so many great shops to choose from.

croy

Master
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I can see this from both sides. Im sure they get alot of price checkers and ammo flipper calls which I'm sure gets annoying. But from the customer side of things if your looking for a particular gun you don't want to drive 20 minutes one way to find out they don't have it. When I was looking for my HK45 and I wanted to see what one felt like I went to Elmores without calling because I figured they had one. Not only did they have one, they had almost the exact model I wanted. I drive minimum 35 mins to any decent LGS.

It's 35 mins to ITP
    Probably about the same to BGF I've only been there twice
    50-60 minutes to Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis
    40 minutes to USDS

USDS gets 99.9% of my business unless its a hard to find item. I use ITP mostly for range and QCG. Last time I shot indoors I went to BGF.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Oh I detect 2 impatient children with their panties in a wad. I guess I'm just too old-school. I was taught not to interrupt, and wait my turn. Even to let someone in front of me. By your responses, I'd say your parents lacked parenting skills.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm not here to bash a LGS, argue points of maturity, how to run a business, etc.
    I have stopped going to BGF due to these same concerns. Not the phone but the customer service has been a bit "lacking" the past couple of months.
    But when I go to a LGS I like to look around and make out my wish list/xmas list.
    The last 3..THREE...times I went in I couldn't get waited on and I received a very casual response to my presence in their store.
    Just saying it on here since it's been brought up.
    I'm not whining or crying about anything but I can attest to their losing business due to a couple of trips with "less than desirable" results. Sorry BGF but IF it were my business I would like to know about these things and I'd rectify these issues.
    Thank you for being a nice LGS and I'd like to be a customer again.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Oh I detect 2 impatient children with their panties in a wad. I guess I'm just too old-school. I was taught not to interrupt, and wait my turn. Even to let someone in front of me. By your responses, I'd say your parents lacked parenting skills.
    Oh yes. Now with the personal attacks because you can't argue the facts we've presented.

i think the lack of a proper response from BGF to the concerns of their customers in their paid advertisers forum on a gun board for customers says it all! I hope they change their ways or my money won't be crossing their threshold again.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Obviously your customer service skills suck with an attitude like that. And if I got treated in the manner you just posted if never step foot in there again. I have voiced concerns in person. They don't really care and feel they know what's best. I'm not skeer'd big boy, like you imply. If I have a problem I voice it and especially when I'm spending my money I expect the best and nothing less. There's many others that are chomping at the bit to earn business and build ranges. I hope the owners at BGF ddont take your pompous attitude and ignore their customers.

I expect you're a real treat as a customer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yu don't have to own a business to know that when your potential customers can't reach you, they don't become your customers. That's not whining and complaining, that's business. I've never been to BGF so I have no dog in this fight.

Top Bottom