Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Heavenly Feijoa Tripel
    New Belgium Brewing
    Fort Collins, CO
    9% abv

A collaboration between NB & Brasserie Dieu du Ciel Brewery, from their lips of faith series. Malt nose with a hint of fruit; the feijoa fruit! Clear dark scarlet/amber color with a loose bubbly head. Bold sweetness but lightly malty flavor up front. A bit tarty but not as sour as much of the LoF series tends to lean toward. I've yet to have the opportunity to taste feijoa fruit alone but I think I would certainly like it if it's anything like the refreshing mid tones of this brew. I've always liked tripels and this is a nice new take on a tripel; sustained fruit sweetness that sits on the sides and back of the tongue instead of a typical herbal and/or heavy malty super sweet tripel. The addditon of hibiscus keeps tempo with the overall flavor and mouth feel; like the bridge of the brew. An experience like a tart strawberry, just less of the berry. Something different that's worth as try.
    :twocents:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Banana Bread Beer
    Well's & Young's Brewing Co
    Bedford, UK
    5.2% abv

Pours a deep hazy archaic amber with little to no head. Brewed with fairtrade bananas, the pleasant banana smell drives all the way up until the sweetness touches the tongue. Average to watery mouthfeel. Steady even maltyness, and finishes with taste of the bread; sweet bread. Well engineered! Not a session beer, but more like a novelty accent or something used in a multi-course meal. Hmm, a quick light sip across the tongue reminds me of and tastes just like... a candy perhaps you've had as a child...circus peanuts!!! No doubt.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Chalet party shop in Goshen, IN.

Dang. I'm not allowed to go there any more. Apparently, SOMEONE in my household thinks it's more important to pay for trivials like "food" and "mortgage" before "wasting it" at an epic craft beer store. :xmad:

I say that I don't need electricity that bad.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    John Henry West Indies Pale Ale
    Cold Spring Brewing Company
    Cold Spring, MN
    9.4% abv

Far far from any semblance of a "pale ale!" Pours rich deep and dark. Light ultra fine cream head. Aged on dark rum oak spirals. Not to be confused with a porter. Sweet buttery nose with a bit of soap. You'll know its high octane when you drink it, but it doesn't punch you in the face like most. It doesn't linger on the palate but rather finishes quite clean, like an ale, for such a dark beer. The buttery light top & sweetness of molasses sustain for a tasty meal of a beer. I enjoy this beer named after one of my favorite American folk heroes of all time. Strong, honest, & righteous, this beer will kick the crap out of any mechanized mass produced corporate beer out there! :yesway: :patriot:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Dang. I'm not allowed to go there any more. Apparently, SOMEONE in my household thinks it's more important to pay for trivials like "food" and "mortgage" before "wasting it" at an epic craft beer store. :xmad:

I say that I don't need electricity that bad.

Right on, I hear you. Luckily my other half supports and encourages the occasional treat of trying new and different brews. Isn't beer food after all?

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Got Two Hearted in my kegerator last week. Delicious.

DISCLAIMER: Disregard the Bud Light tap handle in the background. I have never and will never have Bud-Anything in my kegerator. That is, unless they magically produce good beer.

-Dobber

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Wish I could join in on the snobbyness but beer and my waist line don't quite agree with each other.

That's a myth. :)

Regarding Bell's, the only thing that has ever wowed me about any Bell's brew I have tried is the price. Don't get me wrong, they are a decent beer but there's nothing that makes me see one and say oooh gotta get it.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Regarding Bell's, the only thing that has ever wowed me about any Bell's brew I have tried is the price. Don't get me wrong, they are a decent beer but there's nothing that makes me see one and say oooh gotta get it.

Definitely not in a bottle. I'll give you that for sure. The value comes in the kegs. They do these "skinny quarter" barrels that run about $95. I can't fit a full 1/2 barrel in my kegerator. It's Bell's skinny quarters or craft brews by the 1/6 barrel. Those run anywhere from $80-$150 just for the ~5 gallons. One day I'll graduate to a deep well fridge big enough for 1/2 barrels for now I'll take what I can get.

-Dobber

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    For what its worth: The Rock Bottom Brewery on West 86th in Indianapolis has some of the greatest microbrews on the planet. Their brews are specific to their location only and have won many awards. My personal favorite is the Naked Oatmeal Stout. I was also a fan of the Bourbon stout but it was a short run. Deep, dark, rich, complex, layers of flavors. Wish I had one right now. Everything they brew there is good with a nice variety, seasonal changes, etc.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For what its worth: The Rock Bottom Brewery on West 86th in Indianapolis has some of the greatest microbrews on the planet. Their brews are specific to their location only and have won many awards. My personal favorite is the Naked Oatmeal Stout. I was also a fan of the Bourbon stout but it was a short run. Deep, dark, rich, complex, layers of flavors. Wish I had one right now. Everything they brew there is good with a nice variety, seasonal changes, etc.

Can you review one of their beers and post it up?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Arctic Panzer Wolf & Zombie Dust.

I've had neither and heard of only one, but my daughter promised to tell me when ZD was available at the bar she sometimes tends. She called this morn. Available on tap today @ the The Sinking Ship on College in Broad Ripple. Opens @ noon. I will be there sometime today, probably this afternoon. I will be sitting @ the bar holding a bunch of arugula in one hand, and the communist manifesto in t'other. I'll be wearin a sailor's cap have an anchor tattoo on my left arm.

Att: Bluto.

p.s. Looks like I'll be there @ noon with daughter.

The Zombie Dust is gone!

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Definitely not in a bottle. I'll give you that for sure. The value comes in the kegs. They do these "skinny quarter" barrels that run about $95. I can't fit a full 1/2 barrel in my kegerator. It's Bell's skinny quarters or craft brews by the 1/6 barrel. Those run anywhere from $80-$150 just for the ~5 gallons. One day I'll graduate to a deep well fridge big enough for 1/2 barrels for now I'll take what I can get.

-Dobber

yeah corny's. I'm working on my keezer build now. I home brew too. I've had two different Two Hearted clones I thought were better than the real Two Hearted. Bell's got the panties in a bunch and threatened to sue one of the suppliers over the name of the clone recipe. Ever since, Bell's has just been a turn off for me.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So I don't really know how I missed this thread guess I don't really come to the break room often. Love all kinds of beer with the exception of the mass produced crap(I'm sure y'all know the ones I'm talking about). So I picked up a six pack of New Belguim Rolle Bolle the other day and while I'm not usually one for this type of beer I found it to be quite nice. Just looking to see if anybody else had tried this and if so what did you think?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So I don't really know how I missed this thread guess I don't really come to the break room often. Love all kinds of beer with the exception of the mass produced crap(I'm sure y'all know the ones I'm talking about). So I picked up a six pack of New Belguim Rolle Bolle the other day and while I'm not usually one for this type of beer I found it to be quite nice. Just looking to see if anybody else had tried this and if so what did you think?

I picked up a six pack of this new seasonal as well the other week and was surprised. The soursop and munk fruit they use to brew it gave the beer a light creamy texture, a hint of sour/bitterness, but a crisp finish to it. I really enjoyed it and will definately have more.

I was never a big fan of New Belgium untill i recently toured the brewery in Fort Collins, CO in March. They take no shortcuts and the employee owned company takes great pride in the beer they make. Some other NB favorites of mine are Shift, Dig, and Blue Paddle.

apfroggy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Franklin
    I've decided I'm going to make Fridays my official beer tasting night, the diet will have to deal with it for one night.

Anything in particular anyone is looking for a review of?

I'm partial to Stouts and then IPA's, I will try whatever though.

Top Bottom