• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Headed to the range today since it was 50°. Took my Savage MKII and a large variety of ammo to see what it likes best. Set up at 50 yards and had sandbags for a rest. I have a fixed 4x scope atop the rifle.

Got settled in and then did 5 shot groups.

The Savage really likes the Stangers'. By far the best group. The standard velocity CCI, Winchester Super X and Armscore were pretty bad. I didn't even try my bulk ammo.

Anyway. Had a nice time. Helped a guy with a BCI Defense .300 BO. It wouldn't load another cartridge after each shot. I let him use my BCG and it ran fine. His bolt was really gritty and didn't want to rotate. So I stripped it, cleaned it up a bit and lubed it. The rifle didn't miss a beat after that.

Another member showed me a Walther Model 2 .22lr bolt/semi auto. Although I didn't know it was a semi auto till I researched it when I got home. Cool Pre-war rifle.

:yesway: for helping someone

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Finally had time to get a quick range trip in today. Took my AR with the used TRS-25 red dot and a Rossi .243 Winchester single shot my dad bought me for my birthday last month.

I had just installed a Bushnell Banner 3×9 scope on the Rossi so I needed to sight it in.

Here's the Rossi.

Here's the results from 50 yards off of a sandbag using factory Federal 100 gr. softpoints. (The circled holes are my groups)

Not too bag considering the trigger is real heavy.

Here is my groups from my AR with the TRS installed. Again from 50 yards. I was really happy with how it did. (The 4 hole group right above center and the 2 hole group towards the top are mine. The other 2 are my wifes holes. See below for that story)

The rifle is a PSA upper 1:7 twist on an Anderson lower with a PSA LPK.

I finally got my wife to tag along. She has no problem with guns but never shot them (except my .44 magnum right after we met 17 years ago. I still feel bad about that one.)

She had never shot a rifle before and I asked her if she wanted to try. She agreed after a little provoking. I gave her the usual rundown on safety and only loaded 1 round in the mag. I told her to put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger. She missed the bullseye by about 3 inches. She took a couple more shots after that. Here is her first shot.

[video=youtube_share;SjUXlVaDUuQ]http://youtu.be/SjUXlVaDUuQ[/video]

Good range day. Just wish I had more time there.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Headed out with my wife and kids for day one of my vacation. My wife was able to shoot her brand new rifle. (It's her first gun she's ever owned and about the 3rd one she's ever shot) My daughter (almost 9) is in love with my 10/22. She is really good with it. My boy (almost 7) still has a little bit of a hard time with it but he made it work.

Turns out my wife is a great shot.
    nvCMCtv.jpg

Both of them shooting.
    h8gUDDB.jpg

My daughter.
    G6FOsqB.jpg

My wife trying a SR22.
    KVs9zvC.jpg

I didn't shoot much. I did try my wife's new Savage and put about a 3/4" 5 shot group @ 50 yards. Nice gun.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I must have just missed you today. I got there late this afternoon and just got home. Bummer we did not meet up. Great shooting!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We left about 3:30 I think.

We were there a little after 4:00. I when with my cousin Bobby. I think you met him on the trip we made when you test shot your AR. This was my range trip this year. I finally got the Mauser I fixed up last fall to the range. It shot excellent. I will be updating my Mauser thread in the Gunsmithing forum in a little bit.

Top Bottom