• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think TJ was right on the latter, if you don't also point the gun in an unsafe direction or muzzle yourself then it is only a violation of one of the rules of the game and just a procedural. I can get to the DQ on the holstering (or breaking the 180), because the muzzling exception for drawing and carrying the gun before the beep assumes any appropriate safeties will be engaged (and I can really see somebody getting hurt, we all have nerves at this sometimes and it is easy to miss your grip even when you are not antsy I'm remembering the guy that threw his gun on the draw during the March classifier).
    I could still be wrong about the DQ, don't have anything written in stone just several opinions, would be interesting to ask what the head cheese at Sellersburgh thinks.

Oh, other thing I noticed Sat. Some folks with good trigger jobs (maybe) are slamming the slides down hard during show clear, I need to remember to tell them they don't have to do that, may just be a 1911 thing though.

Oh, me getting a DQ was all my own fault, not unfair. I ain't all a perky about it, but I did screw up.

I think you're right about the DQ. All the verbiage in the rulebook talks about weapons being holstered with all safeties on, according to design. With a single action pistol, it's a must.

I made an effort Saturday to see what guys shooting guns with external safeties were doing when holstering. My squad was filled with USPSA guys, one of them a 3 divison GM. Without exception they all not only engaged their safeties but did so at eye level of the SO so he could see what they were doing. Never had noticed that little ritual before.

I'd say Leigh Ann would DQ for breaking the safety rule for holstering, procedurals for other.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    All this talk about DQing for a minor but serious offense makes you want to practice every motion of your processes from the Load and Make Ready commands to the Unload and Show Clear command. It would suck to DQ yourself when you are trying to do some simple and mundane task that you do a hundred time a match. I don't think I'm close but it would suck to have a minor mental error take you out early.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I made an effort Saturday to see what guys shooting guns with external safeties were doing when holstering. My squad was filled with USPSA guys, one of them a 3 divison GM. Without exception they all not only engaged their safeties but did so at eye level of the SO so he could see what they were doing. Never had noticed that little ritual before.
    You know, I might just start doing my that... Doesn't seem like a bad idea and I think I kinda already do that for the most part.

On a side note, I'm fairly happy with my score from Saturday. There were a few more downs than I'd hoped for, but my accuracy was far & away better than anything I've previously done. I think I even beat a few SS shooters, if I remember correctly.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You know, I might just start doing my that... Doesn't seem like a bad idea and I think I kinda already do that for the most part.

On a side note, I'm fairly happy with my score from Saturday. There were a few more downs than I'd hoped for, but my accuracy was far & away better than anything I've previously done. I think I even beat a few SS shooters, if I remember correctly.

Dude, you shot a heckuva match on Saturday. I think the biggest thing you need to take out of that is that you CAN shoot...a slight bad habit or hitch in your step and it can cause havoc all around. You proved to yourself that you earned your classification and didn't luck into anything. Keep up the good work!

lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    Great match on Saturday. There were some real fun stages (except for that pesky Ice Cream stage, who came up with that one...sheesh). Like always, there were some stages that my brain decided to go to sleep on, but this was a really fun setup for only 65 rounds or so. Kudos to all at WSSC.

And, to make things even better I was able to score more boxes of ammo over the weekend than I have been able to since October/November of last year.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Great match on Saturday. There were some real fun stages (except for that pesky Ice Cream stage, who came up with that one...sheesh). Like always, there were some stages that my brain decided to go to sleep on, but this was a really fun setup for only 65 rounds or so. Kudos to all at WSSC.

And, to make things even better I was able to score more boxes of ammo over the weekend than I have been able to since October/November of last year.

Glad you had a good time! When I find out just who designed that Ice Cream stage I'll be sure to express your displeasure! I think it was Jeff but you never can be too sure! :D

I would encourage everybody to drop some course of fire feedback when they can; I'm sure both RB and WSSC would like to know what courses of fire people enjoyed (not just shot well on) and those that they didn't like at all! Makes it very easy to keep good stages in the rotation or to start modifying ones that didn't seem to flow as well. I personally think the Hero Rescue stage was, by far, THE shining light there on Saturday. It was obviously put together by a season veteran who is both incredibly adept at gun handling and is also devilishly handsome! Wherever that COF designer may be, I hope he knows how much we appreciate him gracing us with his genius!

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Glad you had a good time! When I find out just who designed that Ice Cream stage I'll be sure to express your displeasure! I think it was Jeff but you never can be too sure! :D

I would encourage everybody to drop some course of fire feedback when they can; I'm sure both RB and WSSC would like to know what courses of fire people enjoyed (not just shot well on) and those that they didn't like at all! Makes it very easy to keep good stages in the rotation or to start modifying ones that didn't seem to flow as well. I personally think the Hero Rescue stage was, by far, THE shining light there on Saturday. It was obviously put together by a season veteran who is both incredibly adept at gun handling and is also devilishly handsome! Wherever that COF designer may be, I hope he knows how much we appreciate him gracing us with his genius!

wow. I wasn't even there but feel like a better human being just having read about it... I bet whoever designed it can divide by zero and summon unicorns! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Me too! Seems like just a real good way to go.
    One of the USPSA folks also told me that you should hit the safety immediately after the barney round (if applicable), I'm going to copy that also. I don't think they call it a penalty if you don't, but I also heard that they call a procedural if your socks don't match your underwear so I'm not taking any chances.

wow. I wasn't even there but feel like a better human being just having read about it... I bet whoever designed it can divide by zero and summon unicorns! :rockwoot:

I could go with 'counts to zero and smells like a unicorn', (rumor has it that they smelled like new purses).

I liked everything on the courses except walking straight backwards on the square stage. Jim was slick enough to catch one person before he had an oopsie with the barrel and I steered one or two folks to the right with my hand. Next time we could make the back line shorter than the front line maybe and get the angles in our favor. That is not fussing, it is just feedback, I thought it was a well designed match.

rhinoroach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Evansville

I would also like to thank the Hero Rescue stage designer. It was obviously designed for a left handed shooter.

As far as as the Ice Cream stage, it had way to many non-threats. I get nervous around non-threats, especially small ones.

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012

Bet it was the first for many to throw a hand gernade in an IDPA match.

lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    I for one really liked the fact that we got to shoot on the move this weekend. It's something I don't practice enough of and am always glad to do more of it. As for the walking backwards, I also noticed a lot of people veering towards the barrel. I know Jay mentioned that came up during set-up. I wonder if just angling the barrels might have worked as well (sort of like a > so that you have longer shots walking towards and to the side but not backwards.).
    At any rate, can't wait for next month. Keep up the great work, it is appreciated.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think the hardest part about the box drill is getting the spacing properly matched up with the round count. On the moving backward segment you almost need double the number of rounds required as the segments where you are moving forward. Most people on our squad were about half way when they fired their 3rd shot. I think if you had 6 rounds on that side it may have helped a bit, too. That has got to be one of the hardest to, for lack of a better word, calibrate since you are dealing with so many different factors...nearly every shooter will take different length strides and shoot at different times...but this has given me a new idea for a COF! Now where is my graph paper?

You missed it! Jim had a live grenade and would throw it at shooters in order to simulate Downtown Chicago! It was great! :D

Top Bottom