The Official Status Update Thread - Part 181: Happy Labor Day, INGO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Im in the market for some new gun cleaners and lube... Any suggestions?

Eds Red cleaner, formulas everywhere on the internet. My favorite lube is a mix of STP and Molybdenum Disulfide, only thing for old stainless from the 70s but works most anywhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Eds Red cleaner, formulas everywhere on the internet. My favorite lube is a mix of STP and Molybdenum Disulfide, only thing for old stainless from the 70s but works most anywhere.

Permatex moly assembly lube for stainless pieces. The red stuff. The only issues I have had is cold weather use. It will slow the slide down unless you mix it with Hoppes oil. About 50/50 works pretty well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i have Nib BCG and trigger in my ar15. You think rem oil is good enough. I know it dont take much for NiB

I run the permatex on the contact points of the BCG's in all of my AR's. It is more a personal preference than a requirement but I run them pretty hard. My buddys run them pretty hard. I just like to feel confident they are well lubed. Again, personal choice.

CornMuffin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I run the permatex on the contact points of the BCG's in all of my AR's. It is more a personal preference than a requirement but I run them pretty hard. My buddys run them pretty hard. I just like to feel confident they are well lubed. Again, personal choice.

cool ill check out the permatex, and see what i think.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Permatex moly assembly lube for stainless pieces. The red stuff. The only issues I have had is cold weather use. It will slow the slide down unless you mix it with Hoppes oil. About 50/50 works pretty well.

I picked up the stainless lube from an old Automag buddy and used it on early Mini-14s. Back then I was told stainless just wasn't as "slick" as regular steel, particularly when hot, and would have galling problems which I knew Automags had and had seen on early Mini-14s. Times have changed a lot since then so it's pretty outdated, but I still have several cans of STP.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    cool ill check out the permatex, and see what i think.

It is in the permatex section at the auto parts store. 1 bottle will last you a life time. I run it on all the slides. Except in cold weather as I stated earlier.
    There are other specialty products out there gun related and I have and have used a lot of them. I build engines and I had some of the permatex on the lube shelf. I gave it a try and I just like it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I picked up the stainless lube from an old Automag buddy and used it on early Mini-14s. Back then I was told stainless just wasn't as "slick" as regular steel, particularly when hot, and would have galling problems which I knew Automags had and had seen on early Mini-14s. Times have changed a lot since then so it's pretty outdated, but I still have several cans of STP.

If you look at the new Lucas oil treatment and compare it I swear it is just a repackaged STP.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    STP also makes great case lube for reloading, I bought a bunch at an auction in the late 80s along with some Chlorodane and other chemicals, still using them, probably will out last me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    STP also makes great case lube for reloading, I bought a bunch at an auction in the late 80s along with some Chlorodane and other chemicals, still using them, probably will out last me.

I have assembled more engines than I can remember using STP and white Lithium. I even coated the oil pump innards and distributor drive gear with it. Just a light coating until it was primed up before I fired it up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom