• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I like that article, but it all hinges on your defensive situation being caused by assailants who are strangers. I don't have figures but aren't a lot of violent crimes committed by people who knew the victim? It seems to me like if someone you know is determined to attack you, and they know you have a weapon, they will likely plan for that and use it to your disadvantage. Or they will attack you when they know you aren't carrying.

I can count on one hand the number of people who know I conceal carry. If, heaven forbid, I am assaulted by someone who knows me, maybe the fact that they don't know I have a weapon will come to my advantage. Just my $0.02.

How is it them thinking you are a sheep for the slaughter going to be to your advantage? Wouldn't being seen as a harder target be of a better advantage?

El Pistolero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2015
    Fishers
    How is it them thinking you are a sheep for the slaughter going to be to your advantage? Wouldn't being seen as a harder target be of a better advantage?

Yes it might be a bigger advantage, which is basically what the article says. But what I mean is the circumstances when someone who knows you and is determined to harm you may plan around the fact you carry a weapon if they know you carry one. For instance planning to attack you by pinning down your gun arm and things like that.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Yes it might be a bigger advantage, which is basically what the article says. But what I mean is the circumstances when someone who knows you and is determined to harm you may plan around the fact you carry a weapon if they know you carry one. For instance planning to attack you by pinning down your gun arm and things like that.

Do you know of any such attacks happening?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I like that article, but it all hinges on your defensive situation being caused by assailants who are strangers. I don't have figures but aren't a lot of violent crimes committed by people who knew the victim? It seems to me like if someone you know is determined to attack you, and they know you have a weapon, they will likely plan for that and use it to your disadvantage. Or they will attack you when they know you aren't carrying.

I can count on one hand the number of people who know I conceal carry. If, heaven forbid, I am assaulted by someone who knows me, maybe the fact that they don't know I have a weapon will come to my advantage. Just my $0.02.

You might want to consider getting better friends........or moving. :rolleyes:

I got one word for you - SituationalAwareness

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Just a guess, but I would imagine that primarily refers to violent felons shooting each other (which accounts for 2/3 of all firearms-related homicides). So, if you aren't a violent felon, and you don't know any violent felons, that probably doesn't apply to you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Avoidance is key. As Chip mentions, don't associate with violent felons.

Additionally, a large percentage of violent encounters are domestic. So, a) don't rough up your significant other, and b) if your significant other has a propensity to rough YOU up, get out of that relationship.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been debating on whether or not to CC or OC, but this article makes some very good points. I'll most likely be carrying openly most of the time.

Welcome to INGO. Method of carry is a very personal decision and one which becomes less debated, at least from my point of view, the discussion cools off a bit when the weather does. Good luck.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If you've been following the OC legislation moving along in Florida, the Sheriff's Association has come out against it. Some argue, this is against the wishes of the majority of sheriffs in the state.

This link is an article penned by one such Sheriff and advocate of OC.

A good read, I think.

Florida Sheriff: "My support of Open Carry goes even deeper"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Goes against the wishes of the public servants? What about the wishes of the people?

Trust me, we don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I'd bet that most people (by pure numbers) would oppose the right to OC. I, personally, don't like it, but it's not my place to tell people how they should carry.... just as long as they are prepared to deal with the headaches that come along with it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Trust me, we don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I'd bet that most people (by pure numbers) would oppose the right to OC. I, personally, don't like it, but it's not my place to tell people how they should carry.... just as long as they are prepared to deal with the headaches that come along with it.

I have been OCing as long as I have been carrying, 6 years or so. I must be one of the lucky ones.
    I have never had a negative comment, I have had LEOs see me in Kroger, and even been behind me in line.. walked past a group of BGPD in a Speedway, and the only comment was "How do you like your XD?"

I have had "citizens" ask what I am carrying, but have only seen a couple weird looks that I recall..

So far, so good

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have been OCing as long as I have been carrying, 6 years or so. I must be one of the lucky ones.
    I have never had a negative comment, I have had LEOs see me in Kroger, and even been behind me in line.. walked past a group of BGPD in a Speedway, and the only comment was "How do you like your XD?"

I have had "citizens" ask what I am carrying, but have only seen a couple weird looks that I recall..

So far, so good

I hope your luck holds up. I've unfortunately had to deal with OC'ers on several occasions due to somebody having an issue with the way they carried.

Top Bottom