• ...and so much more!
  • Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Concealed, open carry, doesn't matter. It all depends upon the individual and his/her awareness. The individual needs to be fluid in the carry, always incharge of the surroundings.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    No matter how you carry (open or concealed) you have to be conditioned for situational awareness. A lot of people aren't, and that's when issues can happen. I carry in both manners, depending on where I am, and never had a issue
    So you didn't really read the first post?
    Concealed, open carry, doesn't matter. It all depends upon the individual and his/her awareness. The individual needs to be fluid in the carry, always incharge of the surroundings.
    So you didn't really read the first post?
    So, if you don't want to argue why the heck did you post in this thread!

Probably racing to 50...which the second guy has done...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    To be honest, I wish everyone open carried. If everyone did it, it'd not be a big deal. People would see that they're constantly surrounded by just your average Joe and that they're armed. The guy who opens and holds the door open for the stranger at the store, the lady who says 'bless you' when the person in front of her sneezes at the bank, the young married couple who stop on the sidewalk to admire the dog being walked down the street.

If everyone who carries OCed, people who don't carry would stop being afraid of it. And if everyone else did, people like me would be much less hesitant to do it in public too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    To be honest, I wish everyone open carried. If everyone did it, it'd not be a big deal. People would see that they're constantly surrounded by just your average Joe and that they're armed. The guy who opens and holds the door open for the stranger at the store, the lady who says 'bless you' when the person in front of her sneezes at the bank, the young married couple who stop on the sidewalk to admire the dog being walked down the street.

If everyone who carries OCed, people who don't carry would stop being afraid of it. And if everyone else did, people like me would be much less hesitant to do it in public too.

Don't be hesitant. I OC all the time and have many positive encounters. Most folks either don't notice or just don't care. I do notice some folks giving an inquisitive look occasionally, but I just smile and say Hi. All in all I feel that I am a positive influence on public opinion.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Any type of nylon holster without a stiff body and good retention, that are generally made for different sizes of guns not specific guns. Holsters that are molded from solid Kydex or Nylon for specific pistols that offer good retention/level 2 or 3 retention are preferred.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Any type of nylon holster without a stiff body and good retention, that are generally made for different sizes of guns not specific guns. Holsters that are molded from solid Kydex or Nylon for specific pistols that offer good retention/level 2 or 3 retention are preferred.

A good leather pancake holster also works well.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had a Desantes leather pancake holster when I first started carrying and after a year it had no retention and once whwn i feel the gun hit the ground.

I personally don't prefer a thumb break.

My choice is the Galco Matrix M7.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What do people consider a bad holster for OC?
    For starters, those floppy nylon ones. If you can't run/jump without losing your gun, it is a bad holster (for most ANY purpose).

Most folks prefer some sort of retention: a snap, button, strap, whatever. I liked my leather with thumb-break, until the leather started to get really worn. My current "plastic" with a release button seems to work pretty well so far.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I had a Desantes leather pancake holster when I first started carrying and after a year it had no retention and once whwn i feel the gun hit the ground.

I've noticed Desantis leather holsters become soft rather quickly compared to other, more expensive leather holsters. I thought they were a good leather holster when I first started carrying, but now not so much. My next non-custom leather holster will be a Galco to try out.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I've noticed Desantis leather holsters become soft rather quickly compared to other, more expensive leather holsters. I thought they were a good leather holster when I first started carrying, but now not so much. My next non-custom leather holster will be a Galco to try out.

Dang, I hate hearing that about Desantis because I just bought a Speed Scabbard for my Legion P226 SAO. I've been using a Galco Combat Master for about a year and it's been fantastic and I had hoped the Desantis would be comparable.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a thread on the Indianapolis subreddit with a user asking about OC in Indy. A few people have already responded to them saying how trashy it is and giving generally negative feedback.

Maybe some actual gun owners should shed some light on the topic?

reddit.com/r/indianapolis/comments/4n9qsj/is_open_carry_that_uncommon_in_indy/

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Dang, I hate hearing that about Desantis because I just bought a Speed Scabbard for my Legion P226 SAO. I've been using a Galco Combat Master for about a year and it's been fantastic and I had hoped the Desantis would be comparable.

Hopefully you have a different experience. I've only had 2 holsters from them and after a year of use they seemed worn out. I know there will be a difference between a $30 holster and an $80 holster, I just expected more since they get such good reviews online.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hopefully you have a different experience. I've only had 2 holsters from them and after a year of use they seemed worn out. I know there will be a difference between a $30 holster and an $80 holster, I just expected more since they get such good reviews online.

I guess I'll know in a year or so.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    There's a thread on the Indianapolis subreddit with a user asking about OC in Indy. A few people have already responded to them saying how trashy it is and giving generally negative feedback.

Maybe some actual gun owners should shed some light on the topic?

reddit.com/r/indianapolis/comments/4n9qsj/is_open_carry_that_uncommon_in_indy/

I signed up just to respond to that.

Top Bottom