• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wayner430

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I very much agree with the argument that open carry is a deterrent to criminals. The majority of criminals are VERY opportunistic and a potential robber seeing an armed individual is just like a potential thief finding a locked car. They find the risk and effort suddenly outweighs the reward. My only true concern with open carry is with individuals who may appear cocky while openly carrying. Cockiness can represent overconfidence and wrecklessness, which are scary attributes for a gun owner to possess. Openly carrying with such an appearance may cause anxiety and tension in the environment you are entering. Extra anxiety and tension are the last things I want to add to a potential attack/robbery. I guess the points I'm trying to make are that i agree with open carry because of its all around effectiveness, both psychologically and physically. I just feel that if you DO openly carry you need to also be very aware of the manner in which you publicly present yourself.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I very much agree with the argument that open carry is a deterrent to criminals. The majority of criminals are VERY opportunistic and a potential robber seeing an armed individual is just like a potential thief finding a locked car. They find the risk and effort suddenly outweighs the reward. My only true concern with open carry is with individuals who may appear cocky while openly carrying. Cockiness can represent overconfidence and wrecklessness, which are scary attributes for a gun owner to possess. Openly carrying with such an appearance may cause anxiety and tension in the environment you are entering. Extra anxiety and tension are the last things I want to add to a potential attack/robbery. I guess the points I'm trying to make are that i agree with open carry because of its all around effectiveness, both psychologically and physically. I just feel that if you DO openly carry you need to also be very aware of the manner in which you publicly present yourself.

Good post :yesway:

And welcome to INGO:ingo:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Good post and welcome to :ingo:

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Interesting. My wife was also very fearful of guns due to upbringing. But somehow I convinced her to attend a 2-day basic handgun defense class with me, and that calmed her fears.

It was a very high quality class (in my opinion) and very well done. She has her LTCH also, but keeps it in the drawer. And like your situation, she doesn't seem to mind when I CC. I don't OC yet, but considering it.

My wife has done some shooting, thanks to same great friends and their wives. She has a little less fear than she has had, but is till somewhat uncomfortable. We had an incident happen shortly after I started carrying which convinced her a well trained, level headed, smart person carrying a weapon can indeed stave off what may have turned out to be a very violent attack, but with a weapon at my side, said attacker decided that his day would be much better spent running back to his car a burning rubber farther down the road, and a thankful wife who was kept safe actually got a laugh out of the guy, "running like a girl," as Mr ruger came out to show a few teeth.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Interesting. My wife was also very fearful of guns due to upbringing. But somehow I convinced her to attend a 2-day basic handgun defense class with me, and that calmed her fears.

It was a very high quality class (in my opinion) and very well done. She has her LTCH also, but keeps it in the drawer. And like your situation, she doesn't seem to mind when I CC. I don't OC yet, but considering it.

My wife has done some shooting, thanks to same great friends and their wives. She has a little less fear than she has had, but is till somewhat uncomfortable. We had an incident happen shortly after I started carrying which convinced her a well trained, level headed, smart person carrying a weapon can indeed stave off what may have turned out to be a very violent attack, but with a weapon at my side, said attacker decided that his day would be much better spent running back to his car a burning rubber farther down the road, and a thankful wife who was kept safe actually got a laugh out of the guy, "running like a girl," as Mr ruger came out to show a few teeth.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My IWB spare mag holster is literally a pain. Or rather, the S&W M&P 40c spare mag is a pain. The butt of the mag digs into my side.
    If I OC it, it's not jammed into my side.
    The M&P pistol doesn't really bother me so much IWB.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom