• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I always make sure my liberal friend knows Ive got my gun. Hopefully it will help him understand its not the GUN thats the problem, but at the very least, it bothers him, and I like that.

The first time we went fishing I kept it CC and didnt tell him till we were loading up and headed out. It kinda threw him for a loop. Its amazing the dream world they live in.

It's like with babies. Out of sight, out of mind.

IndianaLead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    I can see the arguments for both sides and on very rare occasions I do open carry, but mostly I carry concealed, partially to avoid the extra hassle of freaking people out, but if I'm to be completely honest with myself, I think I just prefer knowing that I'm going to be underestimated. Sort of a "why show your cards" attitude. - Bryan @ Indiana lead

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I can see the arguments for both sides and on very rare occasions I do open carry, but mostly I carry concealed, partially to avoid the extra hassle of freaking people out, but if I'm to be completely honest with myself, I think I just prefer knowing that I'm going to be underestimated. Sort of a "why show your cards" attitude. - Bryan @ Indiana lead

If you were a bad guy. Who would you go up against. Someone who is armed or someone who looks unarmed?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If you were a bad guy. Who would you go up against. Someone who is armed or someone who looks unarmed?

Exactly. We all enjoy being underestimated in cards and taking the suckers for all they're worth, but regarding my personal defense, I'd like them to fold and move on - always.

IndianaLead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Or you could make the argument that having an obvious weapon displayed might make you the most likely threat to the bad guy and thus his first target. Just depends on the venue. To each his own.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Or you could make the argument that having an obvious weapon displayed might make you the most likely threat to the bad guy and thus his first target. Just depends on the venue. To each his own.

It would be a pretty easily refuted argument.

Even the dumbest bad guy knows I'm not going to threaten him if he simply leaves me alone and moves on to another victim or area.

IndianaLead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Of course I read the first post, protius. I found the essay to be well thought out and articulate. Very convincing, especially for the average "walking the street" situation. However, as I mentioned, the decision for me depends on the venue. I spend most of my time in banks and other secured facilities, which to my mind would attract a more planned criminal venture and thus make me more comfortable with the decision to carry concealed. On the street, frankly, I haven't decided which method I prefer yet. I'm more comfortable carrying concealed at the moment, but that's mostly habit. I assure you I will be taking this essay's arguments under advisement as I decide where to carry openly going forward. -Bryan @ Indiana Lead

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Of course I read the first post, protius. I found the essay to be well thought out and articulate. Very convincing, especially for the average "walking the street" situation. However, as I mentioned, the decision for me depends on the venue. I spend most of my time in banks and other secured facilities, which to my mind would attract a more planned criminal venture and thus make me more comfortable with the decision to carry concealed. On the street, frankly, I haven't decided which method I prefer yet. I'm more comfortable carrying concealed at the moment, but that's mostly habit. I assure you I will be taking this essay's arguments under advisement as I decide where to carry openly going forward. -Bryan @ Indiana Lead

It is protias. There is no u. ;) What does carrying in a bank have to do with anything? I and thousand of others have carried openly in banks with no issues. What do you mean by secured facility? Aren't those generally GFZs? Why break the law? GFZ is still a GFZ no matter how you look at it. I either don't carry in them or avoid them at all costs.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I dont understand why when someone says if you CC, your more likely to be targeted, its treated like a truth. But when someone says, in certain places, being OC will make you the first target, its immediately met with rebuttal.

You all seem to think that intimidation is some magical power that stops everyone from hurting you, but you arent considering the fact that there are certain situations you could find yourself in, where the bad guy is not intimidated at all by you having a firearm, and will target you first.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS IN ANY WAY COMMON, dont get me wrong! Most people who will mug you or do something similar, are looking for the easiest target.
    But I think what IndianaLead is trying to say is, what if your caught in the middle of a bank robbery, or a convenience store holdup. Your not a cop, and its not your job to stop the bad guys from stealing money, but now your in it, and your armed, and they know it. NOW YOUR INVOLVED, whether you want to be or not.

This is all Im saying. There is a time when CC is best, and a time when OC is best, and anyone who tries to tell you one is always better than the other is narrow minded and/or short sighted.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I dont understand why when someone says if you CC, your more likely to be targeted, its treated like a truth. But when someone says, in certain places, being OC will make you the first target, its immediately met with rebuttal.

You all seem to think that intimidation is some magical power that stops everyone from hurting you, but you arent considering the fact that there are certain situations you could find yourself in, where the bad guy is not intimidated at all by you having a firearm, and will target you first.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS IN ANY WAY COMMON, dont get me wrong! Most people who will mug you or do something similar, are looking for the easiest target.
    But I think what IndianaLead is trying to say is, what if your caught in the middle of a bank robbery, or a convenience store holdup. Your not a cop, and its not your job to stop the bad guys from stealing money, but now your in it, and your armed, and they know it. NOW YOUR INVOLVED, whether you want to be or not.

This is all Im saying. There is a time when CC is best, and a time when OC is best, and anyone who tries to tell you one is always better than the other is narrow minded and/or short sighted.

Interesting thought but -

Where's a link to these storys that show all the criminals targeting all the the Open Carryers?

And who said CCers are likely to be targeted?

In any case - This is the Open Carry Argument. Not the Concealed Carry Argument. :):

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

How many times have OCers been targeted first?

Who's intimidating who? I don't intimidate anyone. If someone wants to get their panties up in a wad for a piece of metal and composite plastics, that's their problem.

So if a place is getting robbed, you are in the middle of it no matter what. The difference is being armed or a possible victim. Would you like to become a hostage or save your butt for being the in wrong place at the wrong time? How many times do CCers get targeted because they appear to be unarmed? It is in the range of 2500 per day. And how many OCers?

Who said one method is better than another? I carry both ways, but moreso OC for sure comfort (yes, many different types of comfort).

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Rapist, murderers and other really bad people are predators. And as predators I don't think a lion tries to take out the biggest fastest and healthiest prey in the group. They always pick out the weakest. People tend to do the same. I've never heard of a oc'er being targeted for a crime. Other then Officer Snuffles trying to stomp on his 2nd Ammendment rights!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom