• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wait there is a sarcastic comment reprimanding a newer INGO member? What's next, a color of font to display sarcasm?

icon_lol.gif

I rarely use purple to denote sarcasm, I prefer the element of sarcastic surprise!

Besides, it's nobody's business if I'm being sarcastic.

:flasher:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    There is a book released that Amazon also carries about how to explain open carry to your children. It might be a good read, or maybe a book some might want to get and donate to a location that would spread credible information rather than the fear the anti's try to generate. Either way, it's worth a look. Oh, and several anti gun people have been frequenting the Amazon reviews on it to try to slander the book, so anyone who wants to give some rebuttals or even upvote or downvote some of the ridiculous comments that imply we are all nuts who are paranoid might want to give an opinion too.

I don't sell the book or get any proceeds, but since few are out on the topic, and we are trying to give a good impression to those who know nothing about it or are on the fence it might not be a bad thing. I left a review and a few comments myself. I also purchased the book on Kindle simply to support the cause and **** off the liberals.

My Parents Open Carry: Brian Jeffs, Nathan Nephew, Lorna Bergman: 9781618081018: Amazon.com: Books

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    There is a book released that Amazon also carries about how to explain open carry to your children. It might be a good read, or maybe a book some might want to get and donate to a location that would spread credible information rather than the fear the anti's try to generate. Either way, it's worth a look. Oh, and several anti gun people have been frequenting the Amazon reviews on it to try to slander the book, so anyone who wants to give some rebuttals or even upvote or downvote some of the ridiculous comments that imply we are all nuts who are paranoid might want to give an opinion too.

I don't sell the book or get any proceeds, but since few are out on the topic, and we are trying to give a good impression to those who know nothing about it or are on the fence it might not be a bad thing. I left a review and a few comments myself. I also purchased the book on Kindle simply to support the cause and **** off the liberals.

My Parents Open Carry: Brian Jeffs, Nathan Nephew, Lorna Bergman: 9781618081018: Amazon.com: Books

That's a pretty good one. It got some negative press, I think about a year ago, and sales went up quite a bit. Brian Jeffs is an active member of Michigan Open Carry. He may have been a president or VP at some point. Anyway, you can interact with him yourself & thank him for his book on https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganOpenCarry/

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven't posted in this thread in 6 months so here's my update: All my experiences openly carrying have been overwhelmingly positive. I have yet to be confronted or verbally abused in any way. As for negative reactions, maybe a surprised look or two and one young couple moving their toddler to the opposite side of their table in a restaurant (followed by cordial conversation with them later). Other than just going about my business on a daily basis, the only OC "demonstration" I've done lately was to carry my Tavor and P320 during an overpass rally on west 56th St. over I-465 a few weeks ago. That was a great experience including some honks and waves from friendly LEOs driving past us on the overpass. No getting proned out or curbstomped, no interrogations, nothing. Just like it should be.

Carry on, life is good (sorry, Hockok45 for the plagiarism)!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I should have posted this, but, it was unintentional/accidental, and I just didn't think to. I had my first experience open carrying, and as just stated, it was unintentional. It was a recent Sunday afternoon, and I was still in my church clothes, except for my outer shirt, which had been worn untucked to conceal the stainless steel slide Ruger SR9c that I always carry. (I assume all of INGO knows I carry an SR9c; I only mention it because it's somewhat relevant, as you'll see.) Because it is so much more comfortable when driving (I travel for work), I have been wearing a custom-made OWB Kydex holster that my dad had made for me at a recent Indy 1500.

Anyway, it's the afternoon, after church. I'm in the garage, reorganizing my toolbox or something. I've taken off whatever shirt I wore to church, so I just had on a tucked-in T-shirt, leaving the OWB holster clearly visible. My wife comes into the garage, and asks me to get her a drink from Starbucks. So, I jump in the car and take off - not even really thinking about not being concealed, until after I'd left. So, I thought: oh well. I've already left the house.

I decided to stop quickly in Target (across the parking log from the Starbucks in Plainfield) to find something we'd been looking for. I went in, found what I was looking for, paid, and left. No issues. I then went inside Starbucks, stood in line, paid for her drink, waited for it. No issues. As I turned to leave, a young man (20s or so) said, "Excuse me, sir. Is that a Smith and Wesson?" (I assume he thought that, because of the stainless slide?) We spoke for about 30 seconds about my pistol, and the one he was interested in. And then I left, and went home.

That's it. That's the story. Actually, I assume that 99.999% of all open carry experiences are equally mundane.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    why carry open when you have the option of almost always being able to do concealed. no brainer

Apply a little more brain to it and you'll be able to answer that question for yourself.

hint: actually read the original post at the beginning of this thread.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I should have posted this, but, it was unintentional/accidental, and I just didn't think to. I had my first experience open carrying, and as just stated, it was unintentional. It was a recent Sunday afternoon, and I was still in my church clothes, except for my outer shirt, which had been worn untucked to conceal the stainless steel slide Ruger SR9c that I always carry. (I assume all of INGO knows I carry an SR9c; I only mention it because it's somewhat relevant, as you'll see.) Because it is so much more comfortable when driving (I travel for work), I have been wearing a custom-made OWB Kydex holster that my dad had made for me at a recent Indy 1500.

Anyway, it's the afternoon, after church. I'm in the garage, reorganizing my toolbox or something. I've taken off whatever shirt I wore to church, so I just had on a tucked-in T-shirt, leaving the OWB holster clearly visible. My wife comes into the garage, and asks me to get her a drink from Starbucks. So, I jump in the car and take off - not even really thinking about not being concealed, until after I'd left. So, I thought: oh well. I've already left the house.

I decided to stop quickly in Target (across the parking log from the Starbucks in Plainfield) to find something we'd been looking for. I went in, found what I was looking for, paid, and left. No issues. I then went inside Starbucks, stood in line, paid for her drink, waited for it. No issues. As I turned to leave, a young man (20s or so) said, "Excuse me, sir. Is that a Smith and Wesson?" (I assume he thought that, because of the stainless slide?) We spoke for about 30 seconds about my pistol, and the one he was interested in. And then I left, and went home.

That's it. That's the story. Actually, I assume that 99.999% of all open carry experiences are equally mundane.

You went to 2 places that "request" you don't carry there? :(

And I'm surprised a 5 year old girl didn't take you out first!

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I open carry everywhere I go. Never have I been asked to leave anywhere...yet. I do get looks and from time to time I do notice, especially when the person blatantly stares at my firearm. It was worse when I carried my RIA 1911, not as bad now that I daily a G22. I've gotten more "thank you" and "I feel safer" comments than anything.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Why worry about the manner in which other people choose to carry? No brainer.

Apply a little more brain to it and you'll be able to answer that question for yourself.

hint: actually read the original post at the beginning of this thread.

Why go through the trouble of concealing, when there really isn't much of a need?

Or, JFC, and be thankful you won't get pinched even if you accidentally OC in this great State.

He wasn't into this thread at all. He was making a run and got cut down by the bully Mouse.

Top Bottom