• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Must have been something shiny in the classifieds.

th

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    simply stated I DO NOT like open carry, the purpose of carrying in the first place is "self defense" why give away the best advantage you have, Concealment, if you find yourself at the wrong place at the wrong time, a criminal will just shoot you first!,

I agree. I OC my extra mags, though, to confuse the perps.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    simply stated I DO NOT like open carry, the purpose of carrying in the first place is "self defense" why give away the best advantage you have, Concealment, if you find yourself at the wrong place at the wrong time, a criminal will just shoot you first!,

I had to go back to this. Your well thought out argument has made me convert to CC only.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I used to get shot first several times each week - a real annoyance - but lately it only happens about every other month or so, not enough for most to bother hiding their gun.

Also, ever since I quit mugging people, I haven't needed the tactical element of surprise much at all.

;)

DaveM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    That's awesome, I wonder how that would work out hooked up behind my wheelchair:D:cool: This is an old thread, but I'll throw in my two cents. Open carry is no more dangerous in my opinion than concealed. Sure, crap happens, but sometimes big rocks fall out of the sky and make holes in the ground or blow out windows when they go boom in the atmosphere. Nobody makes plans for that when they head off for a days work, so why worry about the off chance somebody sneaks up on you and grabs your gun? Watch your surroundings, keep the thing in a decent holster and not hanging out of your pants, and go about your business.

People pay far less attention to a gun on the hip than they do if they see the grip poking out of the backside of your jeans and whatnot. Unless they just want to be a horses behind and bother you, most will at best glance at it and move on. I'm a stupidly easy target being in a wheelchair, and I know it. I've actually had suspicious people back off once they've seen my handgun between me and the arms of my chair.

Does that mean nobody will screw with you if you have a gun on your side? No. But you're more likely to have your would be attacker think "Eh, somebody else will come along soon. Forget it". For every story somebody can Google about some person getting jacked for their gun and shot with it, I can Google just as many showing that having that gun in plain sight made them not worth the extra risk and attention. Again, just my two pennies.

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    [/QUOTE]Does that mean nobody will screw with you if you have a gun on your side? No. But you're more likely to have your would be attacker think "Eh, somebody else will come along soon. Forget it". For every story somebody can Google about some person getting jacked for their gun and shot with it, I can Google just as many showing that having that gun in plain sight made them not worth the extra risk and attention. Again, just my two pennies.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind viewing those links that you can Google showing an exposed firearm made a positive difference.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think you need to give a link of someone OCing being jacked first.

Every link I've seen the person being jacked was CCing.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC

So..."If you’re going to carry a firearm, it is imperative for you to dress to the gun, and ensure that your concealed weapon is indeed concealed"

Just curious, but if it's truly concealed, how is it that someone would know to rob someone of their gun? After actually reading the article and understand that these two instances show a poorly concealed firearm, which point does it enforce?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I wouldn't mind viewing those links that you can Google showing an exposed firearm made a positive difference.

So, is there documentation of every time you make a decision that we can look up on Google? Of course not. It's the same for criminals who pass up visibly armed citizens for an easier target. If you read some of the information out there that you can Google, criminals have been interviewed about how they select their victims and how they react to armed citizens. You can look up that information. I believe John Lott, Jr, who conducted some of those interviews, has sections in his books that reference those interviews.

Bottom line, if you have any understanding of how criminals select their victims, it's pretty obvious that most, not all, are going to pass up a target they consider a tough target. An open carrier, who isn't distracted and is paying attention to their surroundings, is definitely not an easy target and not one that many criminals would try to interact with.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So..."If you’re going to carry a firearm, it is imperative for you to dress to the gun, and ensure that your concealed weapon is indeed concealed"

Just curious, but if it's truly concealed, how is it that someone would know to rob someone of their gun? After actually reading the article and understand that these two instances show a poorly concealed firearm, which point does it enforce?

If you conceal carry correctly, to the point where it's not possible to identify you have a weapon, you look like an easier target to a criminal. I'd rather have a greater chance of my open carried weapon acting as a deterrent, than hoping that once a criminal has selected me as a target that I can draw my weapon from concealment and defend myself.

Top Bottom