• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    BBSparkle you also are correct..

You are certainly right that a child's understanding and recognizing of people as individuals should be a lesson learned from the parents and from as early an age as possible. Whether it's a direct lesson or not, a child will pick up on how you perceive other people, so parents need to be aware of their own actions. Stereotyping is really pretty useful in a great many situations, but it is one of those things that is easy to take too far.

I dunno if you were just ranting at the liberal policies of years past or what, but to say that a single parent cannot raise a more than productive member of society is to make a rash and completely unfounded generalization. And don't forget to think of the 'village' that helped raise your children. Everyone you consider a part of your life certainly had some influence on them. Maybe people from your church group, lifelong friends, and neighbors who might have helped keep an eye on your kids when playing in the neighborhood. THESE are the communities that are needed to raise the young of our society, and if more people were active in this kind of 'village' we might see less and less government handout programs and children turning to gangs for support.

A small aside for a minute, for a friend of mine not too different from the man in OP.

A friend I met a few years back was working as a server at Steak N Shake. He was a nice, and surprisingly quick, intelligent guy. I found out that he was from California, had been raised by a single mother, and had gotten into some light gang activity/drug dealing. That activity continued once he moved here and eventually led to an arrest [no formal charges, no prison time] that started his wheels turning a different direction. He began working at Steak N Shake and UPS, working 7 nights a week to pay for tuition at IUPUI, for five years until he graduated with a B.A. from the Kelley School of Business. He is now completing his first year at Columbia with the intent of becoming a lawyer [unsure of what type of law, at this time].

The point of mentioning him is, he was raised by a single parent, but he claims the reason for his turn around are the people and friends he met late in his youth, not to mention the folks who left an impression on him at a young age.

It's unfortunate what happened in the OP but it will continue to happen as it's just human nature to fear what you don't know. Simply and instinctual defense mechanism that's there to protect us.

I'm incredibly tired and I'm sure I'll read this later and be embarrassed by how overly long-winded it is. Excuse my lack of brevity. :n00b:
    Thanks for the input, BB. Yes, you are correct-children can be raised properly also in a single parent household-IMO it just makes the job tougher.
    Correct guidance also can be provided by friends/neighbors. As my Kids grew up and were driving, I got several reports on traffic infractions from neighbors/friends. This=a loss in their driving privileges for a time for each infraction. The difference is, I was home/around to do it. Could have been done by their Mother, but I considered that to be my job.
    When one of our children got in trouble/poor grades in school, I was there to "Advise" them that was not proper conduct.
    Yes, it can be done by a single parent, but it would be a lot harder..Bill..:)

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I agree that having a strong male figure is very important in a boy's life. That being said, as a single mom, I can say....don't kid yourself. My boy knows that if he steps out of line, mama will definitely take him down a notch.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I think most young kids don't even recognize race as much as many think. Growing up I never thought much about it. That all changed when I got to high school. Mostly because they way some people acted and treated people.

Sidenote- I am equal opportunity discriminator- I hate most people

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Many people find black guys scary. That's just a fact.

When I was stationed in Germany in the 80s, we used to go out quite often for beers after work. One day I was sitting in a little bar with my platoon sergeant - I was one of his section cheifs - having multiple adult beverages. Elmore was black, about 5'7", maybe 145 soaking wet. At the time I was 6'2", about 230 pounds.

I was talking to someone else, noticed that Elmore was in a heated dispute with a German, pretty big, but soft looking. Apparently, the guy had called Elmore the "n" word. I spoke passable German, so I quickly and angrily tried to tell the guy how bad that word is. Elmore told him he'd kick his *. Anyway the dispute went on, with Elmore offering to take him outside and the guy refusing to fight. Finally the guy blurted out, pointing to me, "I fight him!" So he was more scared of little Elmore than he was of me.

Black guys scare some people.

Epilogue: We went outside and faced off, upon seeing my intent he chose to sprint away.

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    ^^ He heard the rumors that you didn't fight fair (eye gouges, hair pulling, biting, etc.)
    :rofl:

Either that, or he recognized your technique...

karate-kid-crane.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    "There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved." Reverend Jesse Jackson.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved." Reverend Jesse Jackson.

That's just his own guilt over the way he's used and held down the folks who happen to look like him in order to enrich himself and his family. He knows that it's not the white folks who have the best reason to despise him.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Some very well-written responses here. I will say that as described the behavior of the couple towards the coworker is shameful. However, a large fraction of communication is nonverbal. Was the coworker ambling around on an established path or making what could be interpreted as a beeline towards the armed citizen? Was the coworker taking in the sights or was he focused on a point near the couple? You say the gentleman involved was once a less than model citizen. When he went straight did he take with him any of the gangster's "predator" body language such as an aggressive walk or a 1000 yard stare?

I guess I just don't understand what would be running through someone's head to make them act that way. Maybe the couple or one of their acquaintances had been robbed in that place before. Then again maybe there's just no excuse this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-h0eevE_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Wow.

When and where did he say this?

Jackson said this during some remarks at Operation PUSH Headquarters in November of 1993. There was lots of talk about profiling at the time. I believe he was talking about the harm that black street crime does to black society in general. He later said that his remarks were taken out of context, and that the correct context was that violence is the inevitable byproduct of poor education and health care.

Oh-- Edited to add-- It was also in this speech that he made another famous comment:

". . . We've got the power right now to stop killing each other. . . . There is a code of silence, based upon fear. Our silence is a sanctuary for killers and drug dealers. There must be a market revolt. The victim has to rise up."

Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Some very well-written responses here. I will say that as described the behavior of the couple towards the coworker is shameful. However, a large fraction of communication is nonverbal. Was the coworker ambling around on an established path or making what could be interpreted as a beeline towards the armed citizen? Was the coworker taking in the sights or was he focused on a point near the couple? You say the gentleman involved was once a less than model citizen. When he went straight did he take with him any of the gangster's "predator" body language such as an aggressive walk or a 1000 yard stare?

I guess I just don't understand what would be running through someone's head to make them act that way. Maybe the couple or one of their acquaintances had been robbed in that place before. Then again maybe there's just no excuse this time.
    As far as I know, he was following the sidewalk, and was looking at the ground (because he didnt want to step in goose crap).

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This brings to my mind a statement made 13-14 years ago, by a "Lovely" First Lady--"It takes a Village to raise a Child"

To that quote, I say BS!!--It takes TWO committed people to raise children to be productive members of society!:drill:
    Please do NOT ask/expect my Wife+I to continue raising other peoples children through all of the "Hand Out" plans that our Government wants to push.

Thanks--Rant Over..Bill..:ranton:

As was already said your "village" helped you raise your children. If they turned out OK then you need to thank every person that they ever came into conrtact with that were positive role models & be thankful that the good role models outweighed the bad.

Without the "village" that Mrs. Clinton spoke of then the "fear of the unknown" that bapak2ja spoke of is increased exponentially. In a situation where there is not one other person to interact with besides those two parents then every other person is an unknown and, therefore, an object of fear, especially those who may "look" a little different than the child & parents.

Without support from others outside the family unit we are reduced to being fairly uncivilized "clans" constantly in a state of struggle against those who are not "us".

It's the "village" that teaches our children how to get along in a civilized society. Without the "village" then the children are completely reliant on the parents (& their ignorance & bigotry) to form their ideas about others.

The largest indicator of a childs eventual bigotry & narrowmindedness is the parents influence. The largest indicator of a child eventually being accepting & open minded is the amount of positive interactions with those who are "different".

Good rant. God did not create a village. He created two parents. As a professor used to say to my class, "That'll preach!."

Then who exactly did Adam & Eve's children marry to have children of their own? There had to be at least one other woman around (unrelated by blood of course) so if you actually believe that God created Adam & Eve then you HAVE TO believe that he created others for their offspring to marry/reproduce with. Once he had created more than one "family" then he had created a "village".

Maybe people from your church group, lifelong friends, and neighbors who might have helped keep an eye on your kids when playing in the neighborhood. THESE are the communities that are needed to raise the young of our society, and if more people were active in this kind of 'village' we might see less and less government handout programs and children turning to gangs for support.

While I may not share your exact feelings where "church groups" are necessarily concerned but I agree with the gist of your statement.

I believe he wasn't saying that it could not be done. But on average...look at the inner city single mother rates (>70% I believe)...then look at the rate of incarceration for said children. Case closed.

The "village" has become overtaken with evil and poor role models and pressures that these children aren't able to resist. Having a single parent off trying to make ends meat leaves the children to be raised and mentored by others on the streets, from similar situations(fathers incarcerated or involved in crime), that are up to no good. It's a vicious cycle.

I believe the breakdown of the family structure in this country is one of the worst(if not THE worst) downfalls of our society.

Let's re-open the case for a minute.

How do you know that single parent families, specifically, are the cause of the higher than average prison population among inner city kids?

Could it be that there are more poor people living in the inner city? Could it be that there are less educated people living in the inner city? Are you saying that you "know" that those social ills were caused by broken families? OR could it be that more broken families are caused by poverty, poor education, gangs, illegal drugs & prison?

Did the typical "black family" start out as a single unwed mother & a father who was in prison for being in a gang? Or is it possible that the "system" that was the racist south (& even the racist north, as well) provided very little economic opportunity for the newly freed slaves which in turn bred a feeling of hopelessness & anger toward their oppressors?

I can't accept that black people are inherently as the stereo-type portrays. There are too many examples otherwise so I am left with the fact that there had to be "something else" that started them down that path. That "something else", to me, was racism & poverty.

There have been many nationalities that have overcome racism to lift themselves out of poverty. But if you look carefully, you'll see that many of those were white. Which nationalities still suffer the worst when it comes to poverty? Any with significantly different skin color & facial features than the typical "European".

I don't see how it could be any other reason. More racism against minorities = more poverty & less education among those minorities = more crime & more drug use (including alcohol - look at the Native American tribes) = more prison = more broken families.

Unless you think that the propensity for minorities to just be "that way" is inborn then I think THAT is the meaning of "racism"...

With that the case is reclosed.

Jackson said this during some remarks at Operation PUSH Headquarters in November of 1993. There was lots of talk about profiling at the time. I believe he was talking about the harm that black street crime does to black society in general. He later said that his remarks were taken out of context, and that the correct context was that violence is the inevitable byproduct of poor education and health care.

Oh-- Edited to add-- It was also in this speech that he made another famous comment:

". . . We've got the power right now to stop killing each other. . . . There is a code of silence, based upon fear. Our silence is a sanctuary for killers and drug dealers. There must be a market revolt. The victim has to rise up."

Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search

Look out, Elsie...

Your closeted liberalism is showing through. ;) I like it. :D

Many here already have their minds made up about others & don't want to have their beliefs shaken by mere facts.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While I may not share your exact feelings where "church groups" are necessarily concerned but I agree with the gist of your statement.

I was just throwing out random examples. I'm not at all religious, but I know church groups are important to a lot of people.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Look out, Elsie...

Your closeted liberalism is showing through. ;) I like it. :D

Many here already have their minds made up about others & don't want to have their beliefs shaken by mere facts.

LOL, finity! I missed this the other day :) Ssshhhhhhhh!! The funny thing is, I got a PM praising my conservatism not long ago! :D

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Id rather be guilty of stereotyping and profiling then end up dead because I suddenly decided to trust strangers.

Top Bottom