• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I put together the perfect .308 AR. I've posted a photo of if before, but I haven't explained the build yet.

Now keep in mind, when I say that it's the "perfect.308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me. I was looking to get into a .308 because I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round. What I didn't really need, was the increased range. This was to be a defensive combat carbine. As it was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area, and not that I would be able to justify any long distance shooting in any court... I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go really bad, the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

On the other hand, I've seen guys go way too far with the "smaller is better" theory too building 10" .308 pistols that though probably fun to play with, would pretty much cut the .308 off at the knees. I tried to make a decent compromise, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Receivers... Aero Precision with their LPK
    Barrel... BA Hanson 14" with pin-and-welded Warcomp
    Rail system... Midwest Industries
    Scope... Primary Arms 1-8 with the ACSS reticle
    BUIS... Troy with tritium
    BCG... Lantac enhanced
    Recoil system... JP Captured
    Trigger... Geissele SSA-E
    Furniture... Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, MVG M-LOK
    Weaponlight... Surefire M300 Scout Light
    Leftover ambidextrous safety that I can't remember where I got...
    Leftover scope mount... same deal... just happened to work out well.

Anyway, the end result is the rifle is a bit heavier that the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not as much as going crazy, and doing the full on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) with 28 years of Army experience, or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it. I really like the ACSS reticle.

VRiDcyr.jpg

Nice rifle. I have an armalite in .308 and it shoots very well. Everything being proprietary is a pain though. How do you like the PA 1-8 scope?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Nice rifle. I have an armalite in .308 and it shoots very well. Everything being proprietary is a pain though. How do you like the PA 1-8 scope?

I love it. I haven't had a chance to use it at distance yet. 100yds on the range... However, I do like it so far. Probably not as rugged as the $2,000 scopes out there, but for <$400 it's a very good deal.

Top Bottom