• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    What is the one prep that you wish you had, and which haven't been able to buy/make/arrange/store?

For me, I think it would be an earth-sheltered greenhouse.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    A wallapini? Isent that what those half earth sheltered green houses are? I am working on getting chickens next spring. And I hope the year after to get a green house. The wallapini style though is not very good for our region. It was designed for a area very close to the equator. If that is what you are talking about I would do some research before you waste time and money. The angle of the glass would have to be very steep in our region and that losses all the benefits that the design was for.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Earth bermed greenhouses can work well in cold climates but you are really talking about berming the North wall and running the building East-West.

We set up the foot print for a 10x12 green house with some free steel I scored and tested the configuration this year. In spring it gets the plastic. This week it gets a redneck milk can rocket stove that I am going to test all winter. A place to warm up and maybe even sleep out in during winter.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I was going to buy a really nice wood stove for the basement this year, until the dealer told me $6000 for installation. Six thousand.

I would really like to have the ability to warm the house without power or space heater...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was going to buy a really nice wood stove for the basement this year, until the dealer told me $6000 for installation. Six thousand.

I would really like to have the ability to warm the house without power or space heater...

We are blessed to have the skill sets to do anything we wish to do.
    I am amazed at how folks get by paying for everything to be done but in that vane we have made a fair living doing the work for them.....:)

We put in a wood stove 3 years ago. We love it.

Reminds me, we need more wood.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Years ago I saw a couple of Lister diesel engines on craigslist for just $100 and $150. Was dead broke at the time and could not manage getting them or transporting to the garage. They were local in the Louisville area. Would have made great generators. One of these days I will find a low RPM diesel for a few hundred bucks that will put out 220v for my house. One of these days dammit!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have most of the squares covered these days. Just need an extended supply of propane, diesel and gas.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Had 62 acres in Greene Co. Spring fed 2-3 acre pond and creek, 13 acre tillable meadow on top of property with woods surrounding the rest of it down to the bottom where the other creek ran. Lost it in the first divorce.

Bob

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've been wishing I knew how to convert our gas fireplace to wood. I've loved the convenience of the gas over the last 20 years but I doubt it will do any good over a long term situation.
    My other dream has always been a house built into the side of a steep hill with most of the living space inside the hill. That is something I always thought would be cool before any kind of prepping entered my mind. Sadly way out of my price range and not many hills in central IN like this.

Matt

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You must not be trying to hard because that exists up here in Northern WI.

I left WI because of the politics. Well, the politics and winter. Well, the politics, winter, and taxes. The taxes in WI only looked reasonable glassed through my moving there from NY. Moving to A tax hell from THE tax hell is just moving up Dante's circles of taxation.

Sen Baldwin? No thanks. Like MN the state periodically devolves into fits of mindless progressivism.

Top Bottom