• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My observation is that members of specialized law enforcement organizations are a far greater threat to our rights and freedom than local departments. I would probably die of shock if Denny or Frank appeared at my door or anyonecelse's trick-or-treating for guns. By contrast, I could see the David Chipmans of the world doing so with maniacal glee.

One might wonder why this is. I have entertained some possible explanations.

1. The love of power. I do not see Chipman as someone who would run toward danger. I see him as someone who glories in being one of the "special ones" who deem themselves worthy of arbitrary authority and access to instruments that should not be available to mere plebeians, Constitution be damned.

2. The specialized LE agencies seem to have each developed its own philosophically inbred agency culture. In some cases, they look upon those who are the recipients of their enforcing the same way the members of our local PDs look at common criminals. I feel this with motor carrier enforcement. They are there to find and bill for violations rather than to facilitate proper operation of an industry. Similarly, ATF is there to nail people, not to facilitate legal operation of the 2A. Darker yet, we turn to the FBI and ask how in the universe people like Strzok and Page dare presume to take it upon themselves to presume to attempt to throw an election. In the end, a corrupt agency culture begets a corrupt pattern of behavior by people who think themselves above the law.

3. They are too far removed from the people and too close to the grossly corrupt centers of political power at both the state and federal levels. In a manner reminiscent of the viable argument that most people in the Chicago machine are so acclimated to corruption that they don't recognize anything wrong with it, many of these people are clingers on in these dens of corruption such that they don't see anything wrong with usurping arbitrary and capricious power or abusing their authority to effect impacts squarely outside the realm of their rightful places.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Yep...I witnessed this syndrome within specialized units of my own agency.

One year one of our local breweries made a delivery of a new beer they were introducing to our FOP Hall as a gift for the troops. They brought enough for one case per man.

The lieutenant in charge of vice, the only friend of our blue-nose psycho chief, cited a state law that made it illegal to give away alcoholic beverages, raided the FOP Hall and seized the beer. Seriously.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not sure I like it when they refer to anyone not LEO as "civilians".

They are not military.

Don
    Media pushes that term just as much as the officers...if not more. It's an easy word to use thus it gets used a lot without a second thought given to the larger implications. 99.9% of the time, its use is nothing more than an innocent way to talk about 2 groups of people.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm curious about what differences there are in pay and benefits between these types of law enforcement. How much does say an FBI agent make as opposed to a large city police officer? Do you make more if you are in the FBI and stationed in dc as opposed to other places?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you make more if you are in the FBI and stationed in dc as opposed to other places?
    I'm going to take a wild stab at this, but I know that federal civilians are paid an additional "location pay" based on where they work. By additional, I mean it's broken out from their total pay. I don't know for sure, but I think there are multiple factors that play into how that's calculated, but I'm sure that cost of living in a given area is taken into account.

But that's really no different than private industry. A given IT job in Indianapolis doesn't pay as well as the same job in Chicago or NYC for example.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not sure I like it when they refer to anyone not LEO as "civilians".

They are not military.

Don

I don't know why people get worked up over this.
    Context.

Military members are 'civilians' on a fire scene, as is anybody not a firefighter.
    In police matters, anybody not sworn is "civilian", including non-sworn police employees.
    In military matters, anyone not a military member is a civilian.

It's not pejorative, it's simply the definition of the word in different contexts. POTUS is a civilian...

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Context.

Military members are 'civilians' on a fire scene, as is anybody not a firefighter.
    In police matters, anybody not sworn is "civilian", including non-sworn police employees.

It's not pejorative, it's simply the definition of the word in different contexts. POTUS is a civilian...
    Well written, I am in no way disparaging Law Enforcement, very much a supporter.
    In my lexicon civilian is defined as non-military, which is what Police are. My concern is it separates them from the people they are sworn to protect. In an all out military environment this psychological separation is necessary.

I can accept your use of it in the stated context.

Don

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Context.

Anybody not behind the counter flipping burgers at McDonalds is a civilian.

Top Bottom