• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I am by no means a political science scholar. Well educated in many disciplines, however, poly sci was something I breezed past when in the registrars office in the days of yore. It is my feeble understanding, that the p\President has the authority to authorize short term military action. Longer term action tantamount to war, and the declaration there of requires the permission of the Senate.

Lets assume for a minute that effective trade sanctions provoke Iran into attacking Israel, with whom we have a long history of friendship. Our current President has been less willing to publicly stand with Israel than his predecessors. Is the Senate capable of declaring war in defense of an ally without the consent of the Commander in Chief?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    US Constitution
    The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
    Article I, Section 8 - Powers of Congress:
    To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Article II, Section 2 - Civilian Power over the Military, Cabinet, Pardon Power, Appointments
    The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

So, only the Congress can declare war. Once declared, the President is Commander in Cheif, so calls the shots from there.

How the heck we can get into so many "military actions" without Congressional approval is beyond me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

So, only the Congress can declare war. Once declared, the President is Commander in Cheif, so calls the shots from there.

How the heck we can get into so many "military actions" without Congressional approval is beyond me.

Because Congressional approval isn't required for military action.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Not to be 'that guy' but I'm kinda glad Obama doesn't pander to Israel like everyone else. In the past everyone has acted like they are a huge ally, when in fact they are only an ally because we pay them to be. They don't like us any more than any of the other countries around that area and do what they want regardless of what we say. Screw them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not to be 'that guy' but I'm kinda glad Obama doesn't pander to Israel like everyone else. In the past everyone has acted like they are a huge ally, when in fact they are only an ally because we pay them to be. They don't like us any more than any of the other countries around that area and do what they want regardless of what we say. Screw them.

There's a difference between not catering to and flat out throwing them under the bus. He's reversed 20-30 years of U.S. policy towards Israel for personal reasons. I'm fine with policy changes warranted by circumstances or intel. But because the CiC has a personal dislike for them?

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    There's a difference between not catering to and flat out throwing them under the bus. He's reversed 20-30 years of U.S. policy towards Israel for personal reasons. I'm fine with policy changes warranted by circumstances or intel. But because the CiC has a personal dislike for them?

Israel doesn't need our help. But if you feel so strongly about helping Israel you should move over there and help them out rather than trying to convince us to police the world. Btw, what taxes should we raise or what country should we borrow from to expand your globalist views?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYaZ3C5e5g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Israel doesn't need our help. But if you feel so strongly about helping Israel you should move over there and help them out rather than trying to convince us to police the world. Btw, what taxes should we raise or what country should we borrow from to expand your globalist views?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYaZ3C5e5g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I never said they did. In fact, I think they don't. But why bother sticking to the subject? It doesn't make for a good chance to play internet badass and put someone in his place, does it?

And you find that where in the Constitution? (Just wondering.)

It's not there. Which given the way the Constitution is written, speaks volumes.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    ... It doesn't make for a good chance to play internet badass and put someone in his place, does it?

Beep. Click. Beep. Click. Beep. Click. Beep. Click.

It's not there. Which given the way the Constitution is written, speaks volumes.

I didn't think I'd seen it there. Which given the way the Constitution is written, means it's unconstitutional.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I didn't think I'd seen it there. Which given the way the Constitution is written, means it's unconstitutional.

Not for POTUS. Section 2 of Article 2 simply names POTUS as Commander in Chief of the armed forces, including the militia. It does not limit in any manner his means of commanding, only that he may not use them capriciously for declaring war.

By your logic, his hands would be tied from doing anything since there are no permissions for any actions involving his role as CiC. If you believe the Constitution limits how he fulfills his role as CiC, how do you explain the lack of verbiage so limiting him?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The Constitution doesn't specify some magic words for declaring war, either. I've never understood the distinction some people make between the words, "We declare war on X," and "The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary in order to...."

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Israel is not our friend. Remember the U. S. S. Liberty! The jewish people do not control the government of Israel. It is totally controlled by the Zionists. The Zionists are false Jews. Jesus threw the money changers out of his temple. They were the banksters of that day. They hide behind the cloak of being Jewish today, but they are definitely the banksters we have worldwide, now.....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Israel is not our friend. Remember the U. S. S. Liberty! The jewish people do not control the government of Israel. It is totally controlled by the Zionists. The Zionists are false Jews. Jesus threw the money changers out of his temple. They were the banksters of that day. They hide behind the cloak of being Jewish today, but they are definitely the banksters we have worldwide, now.....

Sieg Heil much?

Got the Protocols of the Elders of Zion on your nightstand? Lampshades made from exotic leather?

Arbeit macht frei, that's what I always say.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom