• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I went to MCFG today to site in my rifle for Appleseed next Saturday. I've not seen that busy in the three years I've been going there. The bays were taken with one large group in one and two guys in the other, who believed they needed the entire bay to themselves. Even the rifle side was full, at first. The pistol side was packed with a younger crowd, which I tend to avoid.

Well, after the range went cold and everyone got their targets set up, we started the procedure to go "hot!" Everyone on the line (approximately 20 people), raised their right arm to signify the range was hot and then the resounding calls of "THE RANGE IS HOT!" started to be heard. Right at that point, some nut down on the pistol side decided to run out onto the range to straighten his paper! :n00b: Of course people started yelling, "THE RANGE IS COLD! THE RANGE IS COLD! THE RANGE IS COLD!" which was not proper, but it kept the guy from getting shot...this time. :xmad:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I went to MCFG today to site in my rifle for Appleseed next Saturday. I've not seen that busy in the three years I've been going there. The bays were taken with one large group in one and two guys in the other, who believed they needed the entire bay to themselves. Even the rifle side was full, at first. The pistol side was packed with a younger crowd, which I tend to avoid.

Well, after the range went cold and everyone got their targets set up, we started the procedure to go "hot!" Everyone on the line (approximately 20 people), raised their right arm to signify the range was hot and then the resounding calls of "THE RANGE IS HOT!" started to be heard. Right at that point, some nut down on the pistol side decided to run out onto the range to straighten his paper! :n00b: Of course people started yelling, "THE RANGE IS COLD! THE RANGE IS COLD! THE RANGE IS COLD!" which was not proper, but it kept the guy from getting shot...this time. :xmad:
    Darwin award.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Never on Sunday!

That is why I avoid going to the range (any range) on weekends unless it is for a organized competition or event. One of the real perks of being retired is being able to shoot in the early mornings during the week when I am usually alone or with just a few others at MCF&G. :rolleyes: :D

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I was there next to Que when it happened...unbelievable. All we could do was shake our heads.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have the luxury of being able to safely shoot on my own property, so I don't run into that a whole lot. However I have been to MCFG several times with a buddy that lives in Marion county and I have NEVER seen anything like that. The range safety protocols always work great! However, it only takes one idiot to throw a wrench into any well-oiled machine. I hope that person was removed from the range.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The range safety protocols always work great!

Unless you're at one end, and the only other person one the range is at the opposite end. Then it's a colossal PITA to 1) yell and hope you get noticed, or 2) walk all the way down the range every time you need to go cold. Oh, for a loudspeaker or an intercom system...

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I go to MCFG tuesday mornings before work. Im almost always the only one there. Its great to shoot in the bay and have your own range. There is a real nice six point wide and tall walking around out there. Anyone else see him

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I take responsibility for not going down there and getting the card number of the member he was with and reported it to the board. ***I'm HOPING he was a visitor*** I, along with everyone else at our end, was stunned that it happened and didn't do what what we should have done.

It's the responsibility of the members to watch each other and I know that. It's just that I never imagined someone (a grown man) would actually run onto a hot range. I won't make that mistake again.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I take responsibility for not going down there and getting the card number of the member he was with and reported it to the board. ***I'm HOPING he was a visitor*** I, along with everyone else at our end, was stunned that it happened and didn't do what what we should have done.

It's the responsibility of the members to watch each other and I know that. It's just that I never imagined someone (a grown man) would actually run onto a hot range. I won't make that mistake again.

Take Aim? :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Unless you're at one end, and the only other person one the range is at the opposite end. Then it's a colossal PITA to 1) yell and hope you get noticed, or 2) walk all the way down the range every time you need to go cold. Oh, for a loudspeaker or an intercom system...

It would be nice, but maybe some handheld flags would be a somewhat useful workaround.

Everyone just needs to look down the line at some fairly regular interval to keep up with what is going on.

The thing that always gives me a bit of a startle is when the line is cold and you are downrange placing a target and then you hear a shot from one of the bays. Takes a moment to realize the sound came from one of the bays.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It would be nice, but maybe some handheld flags would be a somewhat useful workaround.

Everyone just needs to look down the line at some fairly regular interval to keep up with what is going on.

The thing that always gives me a bit of a startle is when the line is cold and you are downrange placing a target and then you hear a shot from one of the bays. Takes a moment to realize the sound came from one of the bays.

The first week the bays were opened, I was in the field setting up targets and heard a shot. I immediately looked at the guy behind me and he held up his hands, letting me know it wasn't him. When we realized what was going on we both got a good laugh out of it.

I guess with the increase in membership (~800 members), there will be times when the range is very busy. Long-time members must be diligent to protect what we have in order to keep it. That means being "that guy" when newer members, visitors, and even other long-time members are creating safety issues.

Top Bottom