• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It takes a lot of force to break a decapping pin. But I thought you were using Lee dies. It should have just pushed it up into the die. If so, it easily fixed. If it is broke, you need to buy some parts.

Lesson learned?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It takes a lot of force to break a decapping pin. But I thought you were using Lee dies. It should have just pushed it up into the die. If so, it easily fixed. If it is broke, you need to buy some parts.

Lesson learned?

I'm am using Lee dies, but it did not push it up into the die, it snapped. I ordered a new die, and I'll make sure I always check the stamping on the case. All part of the learning pains I suppose.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You don't need to buy the whole die. Just the decapping pin. Usually if you send the die back to them, they will replce the broken parts at no charge.

Well poop, I kept the other die, I did not see the pin on Midway. I'll contact Lee and see what they say. All part of the learning pains I suppose.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well poop, I kept the other die, I did not see the pin on Midway. I'll contact Lee and see what they say. All part of the learning pains I suppose.

Being you would be paying more for shipping than the part itself, I would consider ordering a few. If I remember right, they are universal. Looks like it will work for dies using both large and small primers.

MidwayUSA does have them. Just kinda hard to find.

Click here: Lee Decapping Rod for Handgun Dies - MidwayUSA

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I will not make that mistake again. I got my perfect powder measure figured out. I kept playing with it until I got the charge I wanted. I got 50 cases charged. Now I just need to load and crimp them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here are some tips for anyone wanting to get into reloading.

#1 If you are using the Lee perfect powder measure. Do not mess with trying to covert cc's to grains. Just experiment with the meter until you get the charge you want. Here is a couple of helpful videos. If you do it right, you will get the same charge every time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXb1Bb61iAw&feature=related[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVpjAO5T-0&feature=related[/ame]

#2 Make sure you take the time to properly zero your Lee safety scale. Here is a helpful video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAiekOEOg0&feature=related[/ame]

#3 I picked up 115 Winchester bullets. I just loaded 50 rounds, and there is a variance in OAL. It's because the mold of the bullets are different. Some have a notable point, some have a flat tip, so do not worry about it. As long as you do not go over or under the max. and min. specs.

#4 Make sure you check the stamping on the cases. I broke the de-priming pin because I did not do so. I tried to de-prime a 9x17 case with Burden primer.

#5 Once you get a round with no primer or powder loaded. Cycle it through a pistol 2-3 times and measure the OAL again. Make sure it's not setting back into the case.

#6 When you load primers, make sure they are facing in the right direction and not sitting sideways on the priming pin. If you are using a hand primer.

I'm no pro but I'm learning as I go, and I'm feeling more confident as I go. Hope my tips help you along the way. I should have these loads ready to go for testing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom