• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Just finished loading my first 10 rounds ever! This all started at least 8 months ago...reading...reading...buying...reading...more buying... more reading until I was finally competent enough and confident enough to reload these first 10 rounds of 30-06.
    I used IMR 4320 in various grains for ladder test; Hornady 180 gr. projectiles; and Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers. I wasn't sure what to deduct for magnum primers. Book was 41.0 grains - 46.3 with LR primers. So I just went 41.0 - 44.5. Is that about right?
    The OAL is shorter than the book listed oal, but the measurement from the case head to the Ogive is the same as the factory I was using. So, that should be good until I decide to measure my rifle's chamber and start all over again, right?
    If you don't hear back from me you'll know what happened.
    (phone pic a little blurry)

0518131933_zpsea6d0c49.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Nice loads..

Just finished loading my first 10 rounds ever! This all started at least 8 months ago...reading...reading...buying...reading...more buying... more reading until I was finally competent enough and confident enough to reload these first 10 rounds of 30-06.
    I used IMR 4320 in various grains for ladder test; Hornady 180 gr. projectiles; and Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers. I wasn't sure what to deduct for magnum primers. Book was 41.0 grains - 46.3 with LR primers. So I just went 41.0 - 44.5. Is that about right?
    The OAL is shorter than the book listed oal, but the measurement from the case head to the Ogive is the same as the factory I was using. So, that should be good until I decide to measure my rifle's chamber and start all over again, right?
    If you don't hear back from me you'll know what happened.
    (phone pic a little blurry)

0518131933_zpsea6d0c49.jpg

You MAY?? try loading 3-5 rounds of each charge wt. to see what load your rifle likes best. You want to find the best (tightest) group. Kind of hard to do on 1-2 loads of each. For ME, I hardly ever use cannelured bullets in a bolt gun--BUT--That's each to his own..Bill.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Congrats!! You are off to a great start. I would only recommend that you do up 10 rounds each for every gn level that you are working with. The goal is to test to see which your rifle likes the most and 1 round won't do that for you.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    You MAY?? try loading 3-5 rounds of each charge wt. to see what load your rifle likes best. You want to find the best (tightest) group. Kind of hard to do on 1-2 loads of each. For ME, I hardly ever use cannelured bullets in a bolt gun--BUT--That's each to his own..Bill.

Agree:ar15:

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Test your powder charges first, then test your seating depths. Welcome to a whole new world of OCD!!!! You will love it, hate it, love to hate it and hate it that you love it. LOL

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    You are light-years ahead of me. I haven't taken the plunge yet. I am hoping my buddy will let me witness his reloading in action this summer.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Those are fine-looking loads for your first time pullin' the handle. Enjoy shooting them and make sure to inspect each case individually, so you can glean information from them. :)

The next time around, you'll know to load 5-10 of each charge weight and to disregard the cannelure, unless your gun just happens to shoot well with bullets seated to that depth. It can be a little daunting when you are loading, and especially when shooting, your first hand loads. It looks like you're doing fine though and are well on your way to having high-quality, accurate ammo whenever you want it. :ingo:

Top Bottom