• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Everyone that spent some time around him has stories. It was apparent at the funeral. I think everyone could have got up to tell a story.

Sometimes when im a little down I hear that voice say...."it'll be fine" or "quit being a #$$$?"

And how can we forget when someone complained about a stage being a "typical indiana hoser stage"

We knew that made him a little mad and I was around helping with other stages..when we returned, it was tight shots with more no shoots than shoot targets. I believe the high hit factor was like a 4.3

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Everyone that spent some time around him has stories. It was apparent at the funeral. I think everyone could have got up to tell a story.

Sometimes when im a little down I hear that voice say...."it'll be fine" or "quit being a #$$$?"

And bow can we forget when someone complained about a stage being a "typical indiana hose stage"

We knew that made him a little mad and I was around helping with other stages..when we returned, it was tight shots with more no shoots than shoot targets. I believe the high hit factor was like a 4.3
    Definitely enjoyed screwing with people on a stage as much as driving a dump truck through a stages “intention” when we went to other matches

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Lol. Yep.

"That wasn't the intent of the stage"

I learned a little bit of that one year when we traveled to MO. I saw a "shortcut" between two barrels but it was borderline to close to shoot the steel" I asked the CRO. He said "we just had the best shooter at the club not take that option" I said about half my squad will take that shot from here if it's legal(risky for a prod shooter, but saved about 3 seconds)

It ended up being made a forbidden action. I should have shot it and borrowed $100 to arbitrate it before telling CRO

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    A few of the excerpts from some of the articles. These are what we could print; every article there was something he tried to sneak in to see if Val would catch it or how she would change it.

Jake logged a time of 11.38 seconds and pulled the trigger a great deal faster than me, but reloaded with even less grace. I have seen monkeys at the Indianapolis Zoo juggle nerf balls while sitting on a tree limb with more grace than we demonstrated on these reloads. However, our lack of skill is not a gun problem.

Sitting here writing this, I am still a bit amused about full-grown men talking about the recoil of a 9mm carbine as though it were something fierce. I must hang around a bigger group of delicate flowers than I realized.

I do not know why finding the magazine was so tough; getting the magazine from my belt felt like Ray Charles looking for an ink pen on a coffee table full of nick-nacks. It was a mess. The RO made a comment that the reload took a long while. He was right.

Steve Wright, local legend and PCC shooter, said that is common when dealing with skeletonized guns. Being an authority on “normal” is outside my wheelhouse but I trust Steve’s experience, and the reality was smacking me in the face on each trigger press.

Leveling harassment at PCC shooters is a favorite hobby of mine, so actually shooting PCC in public created a great opportunity for payback, and even some piling on by folks who do not even shoot PCC. It is not really a match without some good-natured harassment.

Royce pulled off five decent attempts with times of 0.64, 0.60, 0.56, 0.54 and 0.50 seconds. (If his draw was as fast as his mouth, we would have something.)

Being middle-aged, I don’t talk about feelings and I am not going to talk about the feel of this gun any more.

Some people would say the P-10 F is too big for carry, because the grip is so long and it would be hard to conceal. That might be true on “little” people, but there are plenty of plus-size folks out there who could conceal this pistol; the number of XXXL shirts at a USPSA match proves my point.

He also had a smoking fast run of 3.07 seconds; however, lead and steel did not collide very much on that run.

For this shooting, we were using steel USPSA targets so that we did not have to paste targets, which made for an efficient session. On this occasion Jake pasted as many targets as I did, making this a unique experience.

My wonder and amazement at this development was similar to when a tree-hugging, save the whales, vegetarian teaching colleague of mine makes a logical and reasonable statement in conversation. It is a possibility but does not normally happen. This is weird stuff, indeed.

The first run was 4.49 seconds but with a paltry 3 points on target; Captain Obvious commented that the hit factor was going to be small.

Jake did not have the gun ahead of the match in order to be familiar with it. As a point of full disclosure Jake was not at a disadvantage due to not being familiar with the gun; there was one time he bought a gun the night before a match and placed very high in the match with it. (I actually bought it on the way to the match)

We have both proven our ability to shoot deltas,

Helen Keller and Ray Charles may miss the beauty of this pistol, but it is obvious to everyone else.

This is no wonder nine polymer pistol; this is a steel-frame handgun with a little bit of heft, but it doesn’t need to go on a diet like many of us after being stuck in the house for several months.

Jake has the ability to hit magazine releases when he does not mean to do so.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    A few of the excerpts from some of the articles. These are what we could print; every article there was something he tried to sneak in to see if Val would catch it or how she would change it.

Jake logged a time of 11.38 seconds and pulled the trigger a great deal faster than me, but reloaded with even less grace. I have seen monkeys at the Indianapolis Zoo juggle nerf balls while sitting on a tree limb with more grace than we demonstrated on these reloads. However, our lack of skill is not a gun problem.

Sitting here writing this, I am still a bit amused about full-grown men talking about the recoil of a 9mm carbine as though it were something fierce. I must hang around a bigger group of delicate flowers than I realized.

I do not know why finding the magazine was so tough; getting the magazine from my belt felt like Ray Charles looking for an ink pen on a coffee table full of nick-nacks. It was a mess. The RO made a comment that the reload took a long while. He was right.

Steve Wright, local legend and PCC shooter, said that is common when dealing with skeletonized guns. Being an authority on “normal” is outside my wheelhouse but I trust Steve’s experience, and the reality was smacking me in the face on each trigger press.

Leveling harassment at PCC shooters is a favorite hobby of mine, so actually shooting PCC in public created a great opportunity for payback, and even some piling on by folks who do not even shoot PCC. It is not really a match without some good-natured harassment.

Royce pulled off five decent attempts with times of 0.64, 0.60, 0.56, 0.54 and 0.50 seconds. (If his draw was as fast as his mouth, we would have something.)

Being middle-aged, I don’t talk about feelings and I am not going to talk about the feel of this gun any more.

Some people would say the P-10 F is too big for carry, because the grip is so long and it would be hard to conceal. That might be true on “little” people, but there are plenty of plus-size folks out there who could conceal this pistol; the number of XXXL shirts at a USPSA match proves my point.

He also had a smoking fast run of 3.07 seconds; however, lead and steel did not collide very much on that run.

For this shooting, we were using steel USPSA targets so that we did not have to paste targets, which made for an efficient session. On this occasion Jake pasted as many targets as I did, making this a unique experience.

My wonder and amazement at this development was similar to when a tree-hugging, save the whales, vegetarian teaching colleague of mine makes a logical and reasonable statement in conversation. It is a possibility but does not normally happen. This is weird stuff, indeed.

The first run was 4.49 seconds but with a paltry 3 points on target; Captain Obvious commented that the hit factor was going to be small.

Jake did not have the gun ahead of the match in order to be familiar with it. As a point of full disclosure Jake was not at a disadvantage due to not being familiar with the gun; there was one time he bought a gun the night before a match and placed very high in the match with it. (I actually bought it on the way to the match)

We have both proven our ability to shoot deltas,

Helen Keller and Ray Charles may miss the beauty of this pistol, but it is obvious to everyone else.

This is no wonder nine polymer pistol; this is a steel-frame handgun with a little bit of heft, but it doesn’t need to go on a diet like many of us after being stuck in the house for several months.

Jake has the ability to hit magazine releases when he does not mean to do so.
    AHHH, the memories. Never a dull moment.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    A link to the reviews that Coach wrote for the USPSA magazine

What an amazing tribute Jake. You showed him great honor in this. I'm sorry for your loss but I am also sorry for our loss. From the ones who never got to meet or train with him, to those who wish they had trained more with him (me) we all lose. Rest In Peace Coach. A man to be respected on many levels.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom