• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Im not sure where you heard that they get paid all 3 months? My wife took her whole three months and about half of it was unpaid. She had to use up all of her vacation and then short term disabilty kicked in for about a 2 week period if i remeber correctly.

I know they don't get paid for FMLA leave.

Many think they should. I think it's absurd.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    What point are you arguing because I think you've taking both sides in this debate now.

Minimum wage was originally presented at a restrictive government intrusion into business. It impacts less then 3% of workers. I thought what I was attempting to point out was more clear. Sorry.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Uh oh. Let's not even discuss this or we're going to have whiny women complaining about how they deserve a 3 month paid vacation every time they get knocked up, and want the government to enforce it.

You don't think fmla eligible workers get paid for their time off do you? Perhaps I misunderstood your post.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Examples of minimum wage jobs being sent abroad? You are pretty good at ignoring specific points and questions.

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs - Forbes
    As a jobs program, raising the minimum wage is a real loser. Congress raised the minimum wage 10.6% in July, 2009 (know of anyone else getting a raise then?). In the ensuring 6 months, nearly 600,000 teen jobs disappeared, even with nearly 4% growth in the economy, this compared to a loss of 250,000 jobs in the first half of the year as GDP growth declined by 4% Why? When you raise the price of anything, people take less of it, including labor. The unemployment rate for teens remains unacceptably high. Workers of all ages that are relatively unskilled are adversely impacted by this policy.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I know they don't get paid for FMLA leave.

Many think they should. I think it's absurd.

I think it is absurd as well. I dont disagree with having a program as such though. It is abused by many though. I think that 3 months is to long for a child birth, but i didnt even bring it up to my wife in fear of getting my head ripped off. lol.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Minimum wage was originally presented at a restrictive government intrusion into business. It impacts less then 3% of workers. I thought what I was attempting to point out was more clear. Sorry.

But it impacts 100% of employers. How many businesses never hire anybody because they only need unskilled work but find the minimum wage restriction cost ineffective? :dunno: And it artificially raises the wage scale.

The point is that we should not evaluate legislation/government behavior based on how many people it affects, but on whether or not it is a role of government.

Is it your contention that government is a necessary player in price fixing?

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    This is so true, i work with several guys that have kids that are 16-18 and cannot find a part time job right now.

I know people (recent graduates) with masters degrees that can't find jobs right now. Imagine being six figures in debt with no reasonable expectation for employment. Living the dream....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think it is absurd as well. I dont disagree with having a program as such though. It is abused by many though. I think that 3 months is to long for a child birth, but i didnt even bring it up to my wife in fear of getting my head ripped off. lol.

Neither do I, as long as it ain't the feds mandating it.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013

Mine never went back to work. She did however enroll in a bachelors degree program in nursing.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I know people (recent graduates) with masters degrees that can't find jobs right now. Imagine being six figures in debt with no reasonable expectation for employment. Living the dream....

Question is though, are they reasonable about what their first job out of college should be? Also just because you have a masters doesnt mean any employer gives two ****es. There are plenty of people out there with MBAs that think they should be CEOs and VPs on there second day of work.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    But it impacts 100% of employers. How many businesses never hire anybody because they only need unskilled work but find the minimum wage restriction cost ineffective? :dunno: And it artificially raises the wage scale.

The point is that we should not evaluate legislation/government behavior based on how many people it affects, but on whether or not it is a role of government.

Is it your contention that government is a necessary player in price fixing?

Do you believe that establishing minimum wage is equal to price fixing? I don't think that is a completely fair comparison. While it may have an impact on the bottom line it's not the same as say... Government interjecting into something such as farming and paying one farmer to not grow corn so the price of corn (as a traded commodity no less!) is artificially in inflated. This is a practice that is often condemned, but would lead to chaos in the food markets without. So where do you draw the line? Where do you decide this is ok , this isn't?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Could a global recession at the same time have bad anything to do with these stats? Honestly?

Did you even read the article I posted? Jobs were disappearing, but they disappeared MUCH faster after the minimum wage hike.

Do you believe that establishing minimum wage is equal to price fixing? I don't think that is a completely fair comparison. While it may have an impact on the bottom line it's not the same as say... Government interjecting into something such as farming and paying one farmer to not grow corn so the price of corn (as a traded commodity no less!) is artificially in inflated. This is a practice that is often condemned, but would lead to chaos in the food markets without. So where do you draw the line? Where do you decide this is ok , this isn't?

Of course it is price fixing. Your labor has a price, and the government is fixing that price. Price fixing.

How do you figure there would be 'chaos' in the food market without price fixing?

All of this crosses the line. The government intervening in the marketplace except in the case of theft or fraud or contract violation crosses the line.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Neither do I, as long as it ain't the feds mandating it.

Then who would mandate it? State, local, employer? I have a decent benefits package so I believe I would be offered something reasonable without federal mandates. But would everyone? Should a person lose their job because they have cancer and need a few months in a calander year off for chemo? Or their spouse needs chemo?

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Question is though, are they reasonable about what their first job out of college should be? Also just because you have a masters doesnt mean any employer gives two ****es. There are plenty of people out there with MBAs that think they should be CEOs and VPs on there second day of work.

Fair point. My only point was the job market isn't stellar for anyone at the present time.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Then who would mandate it? State, local, employer?

Employer.

I have a decent benefits package so I believe I would be offered something reasonable without federal mandates. But would everyone?

No.

Should a person lose their job because they have cancer and need a few months in a calander year off for chemo? Or their spouse needs chemo?

Should you have the right to force someone to run a business with a missing employee for three months, when that may harm their business?

No.

Top Bottom