• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A young colleague sent this article to me recently. She seemed surprised at the constant surveillance that was going on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/...gXKwXM_KAROZzyB4-H_B320ibp_leVf_C0IwXlH-GS-c8

We got into a good conversation regarding another article I pulled at random from many on the topic and shared with her.

It turned into an interesting discussion that will likely continue for some time.

What do you think of the right to be left alone?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The article was written 19ish years ago and the author never imagined what things would look like in 2021, but still pretty telling.

To me, being left alone is pretty much at the center of my existence, kinda always has been. Even if your not wired as a loner or extremely independent, you should be able to choose your interactions.
    I, like most others today, also find myself with an addiction/dependence to this powerful little $1000 piece of glass. I’d like to get over that.
    In a perfect world, we would be able to access the info we wanted and not be watched. Is this what they meant by “the Information Age”? Even that, right there, self-capitalized with spell check. The age of info is not free, we are paying dearly for it.
    I’m in the process of considering how to break this addiction and still live and do business in the modern world. Jumped on board with supposedly more private messaging apps and secure emails, but don’t really have a lot of confidence. Looking into online privacy stuff, but it’s probably way to late.
    We are reaping the fruits of the capitalism we sowed, IMHO. It won’t be stopped, without pain.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think that when most of us chose it we had no idea what we were choosing between.
    We were at least mislead if not lied to when they gave us "free" apps and the like. As much as they push getting apps on the phones and making using the browser difficult I suspect they get even more from them. Terms of service should not be page upon page of legalese that even attorneys struggle to decipher.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    We were at least mislead if not lied to when they gave us "free" apps and the like. As much as they push getting apps on the phones and making using the browser difficult I suspect they get even more from them. Terms of service should not be page upon page of legalese that even attorneys struggle to decipher.
    I would just like to add, today the thought crossed my mind that even if it took an EMP to stop the ‘agree to cookies’ and ‘sign up for 10% off’ pop ups, I’m all for it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A young colleague sent this article to me recently. She seemed surprised at the constant surveillance that was going on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/...gXKwXM_KAROZzyB4-H_B320ibp_leVf_C0IwXlH-GS-c8

We got into a good conversation regarding another article I pulled at random from many on the topic and shared with her.

It turned into an interesting discussion that will likely continue for some time.

What do you think of the right to be left alone?

I think technology has also ruined the right to be left alone. Read many reports that FB has data on millions of non-users and has them identified with photo tagging. These are folks that have never been on FB.

So I will just say it here, technology has helped many things. BUT, has not made a true thinking mans life better. There is no time to think, phones mean we are always accessible and always connected. When I was a kid I had an uncle that complained there was never any quiet back then, if he was alive now he would be insane.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I think technology has also ruined the right to be left alone. Read many reports that FB has data on millions of non-users and has them identified with photo tagging. These are folks that have never been on FB.

So I will just say it here, technology has helped many things. BUT, has not made a true thinking mans life better. There is no time to think, phones mean we are always accessible and always connected. When I was a kid I had an uncle that complained there was never any quiet back then, if he was alive now he would be insane.

Time is what you make of it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Not sure how this relates to my post?

"So I will just say it here, technology has helped many things. BUT, has not made a true thinking mans life better. There is no time to think, phones mean we are always accessible and always connected. When I was a kid I had an uncle that complained there was never any quiet back then, if he was alive now he would be insane."

Choices.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "So I will just say it here, technology has helped many things. BUT, has not made a true thinking mans life better. There is no time to think, phones mean we are always accessible and always connected. When I was a kid I had an uncle that complained there was never any quiet back then, if he was alive now he would be insane."

Choices.
    I remember when my boss gave me my 1st Tone only pager. It toned and I called the shop. I grew to hate it.

Then we got the "Dual" tone pager. 1st tone call this number. 2nd tone this number.

Then came voice pagers. We actually had some fun with those.

Today accessibility is an addiction. A serious one at that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Choices.

There are fewer and fewer career choices that even allow for the choice...

Top Bottom