"The Road" - post movie get together/discussion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Same here I had to expand my search to theaters out to 250 miles away. Chicago, St. Louis, Evansville, and as you said OH has it but nothing in the Indy area? What is up with that?

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I read the book and just saw the trailer. It looks like it follows the storyline of the book fairly well. Typically you don't see that. I don't remember a woman (aka Charlize Theron) in the book though but it's been awhile...

In the book, the woman was a minor character, and appeared only sporadically in the man's memories. She had wanted the man to kill her, then the boy, then himself. His refusal to go through with that was a moot point, since he only had two rounds for his revolver (not enough to go around). She deserted the man and the boy early, leaving them behind as she wandered off into the ash. The movie trailers show her more prominently than she appeared in the book.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Same here I had to expand my search to theaters out to 250 miles away. Chicago, St. Louis, Evansville, and as you said OH has it but nothing in the Indy area? What is up with that?

Sounds like a limited release or something.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The book was fantastic, IMHO.

Certainly a story about "THE" SHTF scenario. I agree that it is more about the relationship between the man and the boy, it is just set after SHTF. It did talk a little about how it happened (about one paragraph). The man saw a flash of light and looked out his windows and saw three mushroom clouds, then he started filling his tub with water. That was it.

I recommend this book for a quick read (unless you like to read a chapter at a time, because there aren't any chapters... p.s. I like to read a chapter at a time!)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    In the book, the woman was a minor character, and appeared only sporadically in the man's memories. She had wanted the man to kill her, then the boy, then himself. His refusal to go through with that was a moot point, since he only had two rounds for his revolver (not enough to go around). She deserted the man and the boy early, leaving them behind as she wandered off into the ash. The movie trailers show her more prominently than she appeared in the book.
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't she walk away from the father and boy and slit her wrists or something? I thought she committed suicide because she couldn't stand to live like they were living anymore. She wanted to end it all for the 3 of them, but the father wouldn't go through with that plan.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't she walk away from the father and boy and slit her wrists or something? I thought she committed suicide because she couldn't stand to live like they were living anymore. She wanted to end it all for the 3 of them, but the father wouldn't go through with that plan.

It was presented that walking away (in and of itself) was suicide. The whordes of rapists and canibles of the world were sure to take and kill her once she exposed herself to the world.

Rogue42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    McCordsville
    Well its a shame that this isn't playing anywhere nearby. So few movies nowadays worth watching. I guess I will have to just get the book and wait for video.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Here's a movie review. It looks good.

'The Road' traverses bleak, yet hopeful, terrainUpdated 1d 9h ago | Comments 72 | Recommend 31E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

clear.gif
    EnlargeBy Macall Polay, AP
    clear.gif
    Against all odds: Viggo Mortensen, right, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are a father and son on the run in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY
    If civilization were obliterated, what shreds of humanity would remain in those who survived?
    The Road probes the meaning of human connection. Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning, lyrical novel presents an intimate portrait of a father and son struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.
    INTERVIEW: On 'The Road' and off, Viggo Mortensen walks the walk

The film adaptation is grimly faithful to the book, even as it adds heft to lesser characters.
    At the heart of this bleak story are two astounding performances. Viggo Mortensen is superb as the father, blending a weathered demeanor with indefatigable determination and tenderness. His son is played by 11-year-old Kodi Smit-McPhee, whose sweet voice and innocence are ideally suited to the role.

The father and son (unnamed, as in the book) are refugees, pushing a rickety cart with their belongings, forced to scrounge for food and water, taking shelter wherever they can in the devastated landscape. Amid the ruins of buildings and abandoned cars, fires flare and dead trees topple. The world is as ragged as their spirits, though we never learn what caused this tragedy.
    They make their exhausted way among the flattened, barren landscape and charred remains, dodging cannibals and thieves in their quest to reach a warmer climate by the sea.
    The father reads to his son, especially about courageous heroes. He assures him that they are the good guys, and must be ever wary of the bad.
    When the father shoots a man who threatens them, his son is badly shaken. "I'll kill anyone who touches you because that's my job," he explains simply. The dead man's blood and bits of his brain are splattered on the boy. His father gently washes his son's hair as the boy whimpers like a baby animal. The haunting scene pierces the heart.
    The film is beautifully shot, with an evocative score that offsets the stark terrain. The role of the boy's mother, played by Charlize Theron, is amplified from her bare-bones presence in the book.
    While the film is not as resonant as the novel, it is an honorable adaptation, capturing the essence of the bond between father and son.
    Their efforts to hold on to their better natures amid soul-killing conditions is stirring and life-affirming.

'The Road' traverses bleak, yet hopeful, terrain - USATODAY.com

Top Bottom