The Roberts Court Will Not Defend the Second Amendment, Ever!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't know why anyone is holding out a lot of hope for a Trump replacement to Ginsburg to be an originalist.

Kavanaugh certainly isn't. He never was before being put in either. I never understood the huge amount of political capital put in to get him sworn in. There was a whole list of judges proposed for that slot and I'm sure most would have been better.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Gorsuch, though. But that just gives Trump a 1 out of 2 rating on his appointments (and the same for Bush).

Flat out, Republicans can't be trusted to actually defend the constitution, at least not since they sold their soul with the Southern strategy and pandering to the religious right.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know why anyone is holding out a lot of hope for a Trump replacement to Ginsburg to be an originalist.

Kavanaugh certainly isn't. He never was before being put in either. I never understood the huge amount of political capital put in to get him sworn in. There was a whole list of judges proposed for that slot and I'm sure most would have been better.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Gorsuch, though. But that just gives Trump a 1 out of 2 rating on his appointments (and the same for Bush).

Flat out, Republicans can't be trusted to actually defend the constitution, at least not since they sold their soul with the Southern strategy and pandering to the religious right.

You are actually correct! We need to elect Biden and after he commits suicide Hillary can nominate Ginsberg's replacement.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You are actually correct! We need to elect Biden and after he commits suicide Hillary can nominate Ginsberg's replacement.

See, maybe instead, we need to get out of the R & D duopoly paradigm we've been stuck in. Maybe, instead of having to choose between two senile, old rapists, we can put someone in office that actually will defend the constitution.

But hey, that's just a dream. I guess back to picking the lesser of two evils and furthering the decline of our nation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In your dreams, that is unless you run as a third party candidate. You could get maybe .000001% of the vote.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, given 3rd party candidates are typically getting several million times the percentage you just gave, clearly they are on their way.

But go ahead and keep voting lockstep with a party that routinely ignores what you want. I’m sure if you wait patiently enough, never speaking up, they’ll totally come around to your side of things. :rolleyes:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And you are welcome to throw your vote away as long as you like and it is just as likely that your candidate will be elected.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    And you are welcome to throw your vote away as long as you like and it is just as likely that your candidate will be elected.

Well, I guess you'll be able to console yourself when we further lose our rights that at least you got a nifty red hat out of the deal. :dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I believe the opposition research arm of the Democratic party have something on him. Many of his rulings have been suspect, for a conservative.

IMNSHO

I'm starting to think Roberts has a few boys in his closet; nothing else can explain his consistent 5-4 rulings on key issues.

The theory I heard recently was that he and his wife recently adopted two young children, and as hard as it is to do, they got two young White children (that look like them, in other words) without any so-called handicaps.
    The idea was that during the process, neither he nor his wife was aware of any irregularity, and so they are both blameless and all is well, but the two children, whom they have come to love and care for as their own, and who have a pretty nice life as the children of the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, if it turned out that they were trafficked (ETA: or if their adoption was in some way irregular,) would be taken from him and put into the foster system. And their parents might actually be found and they could be reunited, but it is unlikely that the children would have the life they'll have with the last name Roberts. (ETA: It seems the children were infants when adopted circa 2000; that leverage if it ever existed may have run out now, I don't know.)

Very tinfoil hat, I know, and as low a move as any I've ever heard of, but I would not put this past some on the Left.

Similar could be applied to AJ Kavanaugh or any other unsuspecting Conservative they chose to rope in.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Interesting interview with John Lott on the Derek Hunter Podcast today. (I listen to it on Apple, suppose it's other places if you want to check it out). Lott commented that he's been told by Supreme Court clerks that Roberts does not want to preside over any controversial cases, including gun control, and will "punish" any justices who grant cert to cases he doesn't think they should hear. That was one reason why none of ten gun rights cases were heard this session, and Lott implied that's why Roberts has voted with the left on significant cases.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That's as valid a theory (if not moreso) than the one I mentioned.... but the question I'd ask would be WHY he doesn't want the controversial cases.

Interesting interview with John Lott on the Derek Hunter Podcast today. (I listen to it on Apple, suppose it's other places if you want to check it out). Lott commented that he's been told by Supreme Court clerks that Roberts does not want to preside over any controversial cases, including gun control, and will "punish" any justices who grant cert to cases he doesn't think they should hear. That was one reason why none of ten gun rights cases were heard this session, and Lott implied that's why Roberts has voted with the left on significant cases.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Is one of the kids name Jared and very smart and the girls name Parker?

Top Bottom