• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Very good read. I have always maintained that a rifle in the car is impractical. I stand by that. SHTF is the only practical reason to have a rifle in the car, and I am a believer in packing accordingly. I have a three day (realistically, 1.5-2 day) bag for my commute, and I add a larger bag for trips farther from home. Sometimes the larger includes a rifle of some sort. What I have been meaning to do is get an AR7 type .22 to keep full time.

I hope people take the time to think about this a bit. I have talked to numerous people who seem to think that a rifle in the trunk is a reasonable replacement for a pistol (no LTCH) or that it is a "practical" compliment for an active shooter situation. My vote is that if you can get to your vehicle, you should NOT be reentering the danger zone. I would understand an exception for family left inside, but in that case, why did you leave them, especially if they are unarmed? It just makes no sense.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I'm trying to figure out how to mount a Rem 870 in my Reg. Cab truck. I'd like to be able to stand it vertical, in the drivers corner with a lock. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

AJB

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    I have thought a bought this many times but I am worried about it being stolen. I drive a single cab truck and all it would take is a smash and grab. Like AJ above said, something that you could lock up standing upright(for his 870) would be a good idea.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Chris Upchurch revisits an oft argued concept.

He makes some great points, especially about the practical uses for a trunk gun, versus what we'd all like to use one for (being the hero :D).

I think INGOer techres has the right idea-- he found an old used 12ga shotgun for cheap, and tossed it in the trunk with a simple sling and a big bandoleer of shells. His setup would be ideal for leaving your vehicle to get home during a SHTF event.

Although an SBR would be sexier, I'm not gonna leave my $3k rifle in the trunk while I go about my day.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I'm surprised that no one has the real reason for a trunk rifle...to arm the trunk monkey
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUBxgdKZ_Y[/ame]

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I think INGOer techres has the right idea-- he found an old used 12ga shotgun for cheap, and tossed it in the trunk with a simple sling and a big bandoleer of shells. His setup would be ideal for leaving your vehicle to get home during a SHTF event.

This. It's in my spare tire cubby just like the jack. An infrequently used tool that, when you really need it, is indispensable.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Here is my truck/trunk gun. $150 Maverick88 with a short barrel, light, sling, and extra ammo.
    IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

Garrett72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Granger, In
    keeping a rifle in your trunk serves one purpose: preventing your spouse from finding out about it. :)

Ha Ha! Thats awesome, I carried a rifle in my trunk/cargo area for a couple of days after I bought it one time because I didn't want her to know I had bought it. I had to wait for the "right time" to spring that purchase on her!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm trying to figure out how to mount a Rem 870 in my Reg. Cab truck. I'd like to be able to stand it vertical, in the drivers corner with a lock. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

AJB

I can't find pictures of one but every Jeep, Blazer and Hummer I drove while in the military came equipped with a weapon holder that held the rifle vertically that could easily be modified to hold an 870 and be lockable. I had two but sold both of them.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen

AJB

Not to thread jack but,

I have the same quandry, and my project for the summer is to replace the the seat backing on my bench seat with reinforced diamond plate and mount a 12v electronic locking gun rack like the ones in cop cars horizontally on my seat back. These racks allow you to mount a timed button switch somwhere in the vehicle which when pushed unlocks the rack for a certain amount of time (10-30 seconds) and then the rack relocks it's self. It also has a discreet manual lock that takes a hancuff key incase their power system dies. This is'nt ideal for fast access to the shotgun, but it keeps it out of sight and if somebody does break in, they would have to know about the switch and where it is. Also, if you dont have a bench seat you could mount it to the back cab wall.

Hope this helps.

gunrunner0

Top Bottom