• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Not a release date yet for this rifle model number 11173 to be used for Appleseed. Just wondering how many people will purchase this rifle?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    11173.jpg

That is awesome, and the MSRP says $379.

For what it is that seems like a heck of a deal, considering my tactical heavy barrel model didn't even come with sights for $550.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Does it come with an Appleseed certificate like the Marlin did at that $379 price?
    if it came with the certificate at that price, I would be buying as soon as available. I am very happy with my Appleseed Marlin.

Matt

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Does it come with an Appleseed certificate like the Marlin did at that $379 price?
    if it came with the certificate at that price, I would be buying as soon as available. I am very happy with my Appleseed Marlin.

Matt

No it does not have a certificate

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Just got mine out to the range today and was thinking of doing a short write-up once I can get a few better pics, but overall I am very happy with it. Other than points generally associated with the 10/22, I did find a few things good and back that seemed specific to this model

The good:

- Stock feels good in my hands
    - Sights are fantastic to use (IMO, notably easier on the eyes than the Tech-Sights I have tried and sold)
    - Showed the capability for decent groups with virtually no upgrades
    - Comes with standard LoP stock pieces w/ & w/o cheek riser (youth LoP stock pieces can be ordered)

The not so good:

- back of receiver moved up and down (<1/8", but it was enough that I felt it might cause issues) with slight pressure on barrel even after tightening the action screw (I took care of it with a 1/2" wide strip of 1/32" gasket material under the action/barrel retainer just in front of the action screw)
    - sight adjustment is temperamental and requires an allen wrench (mine shot slightly high @ 25yds and I didn't have the correct size with me)

(I shot the 5-shot group in the center first with a 6 O'clock hold. The five in the upper left where next and, as you can see, the group was OK but the hold was off. Last group was a sub-6 hold and I had some issued finding a consistent offset from the 6 O'clock.)

_f30ecee689d146d29e2ef0c6571e0f97

I really like the rifle as it ships and, while the Tech-Sights haven't worked for me, I think the sights on it are good enough that I am going to go without a scope for a bit. I will make a few changes, but they are changes I like to make to almost any 10/22:

- Kidd bolt buffer
    - Kidd auto bolt release
    - Tactical Solutions extended mag release
    - trigger pull upgrade (probably the Kidd "trigger job" kit, but I have a Volquartsen target hammer kit sitting around that I may try first)
    - or I may just take care of the last three things all at once and get a complete single-stage trigger assembly (Kidd or otherwise)

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Just got mine out to the range today and was thinking of doing a short write-up once I can get a few better pics, but overall I am very happy with it. Other than points generally associated with the 10/22, I did find a few things good and back that seemed specific to this model

The good:

- Stock feels good in my hands
    - Sights are fantastic to use (IMO, notably easier on the eyes than the Tech-Sights I have tried and sold)
    - Showed the capability for decent groups with virtually no upgrades
    - Comes with standard LoP stock pieces w/ & w/o cheek riser (youth LoP stock pieces can be ordered)

The not so good:

- back of receiver moved up and down (<1/8", but it was enough that I felt it might cause issues) with slight pressure on barrel even after tightening the action screw (I took care of it with a 1/2" wide strip of 1/32" gasket material under the action/barrel retainer just in front of the action screw)
    - sight adjustment is temperamental and requires an allen wrench (mine shot slightly high @ 25yds and I didn't have the correct size with me)

(I shot the 5-shot group in the center first with a 6 O'clock hold. The five in the upper left where next and, as you can see, the group was OK but the hold was off. Last group was a sub-6 hold and I had some issued finding a consistent offset from the 6 O'clock.)

_f30ecee689d146d29e2ef0c6571e0f97

I really like the rifle as it ships and, while the Tech-Sights haven't worked for me, I think the sights on it are good enough that I am going to go without a scope for a bit. I will make a few changes, but they are changes I like to make to almost any 10/22:

- Kidd bolt buffer
    - Kidd auto bolt release
    - Tactical Solutions extended mag release
    - trigger pull upgrade (probably the Kidd "trigger job" kit, but I have a Volquartsen target hammer kit sitting around that I may try first)
    - or I may just take care of the last three things all at once and get a complete single-stage trigger assembly (Kidd or otherwise)

Thanks for the review.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You can read more first hand reviews about this rifle on the Appleseed forum ... Login (you'll have to create a free account to view this information).

From what I've been able to glean reading all sorts of reports on this rifle, it will get the job done out of the box. But it's a 10/22, so everybody thinks it needs some tweaking ... maybe that should be stated ... it's a rifle, so everybody thinks it needs some tweaking.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    You can read more first hand reviews about this rifle on the Appleseed forum ... Login (you'll have to create a free account to view this information).

From what I've been able to glean reading all sorts of reports on this rifle, it will get the job done out of the box. But it's a 10/22, so everybody thinks it needs some tweaking ... maybe that should be stated ... it's a rifle, so everybody thinks it needs some tweaking.
    To make it their own new and improved model.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Thank you. Just signed up.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Sweet ... have you attended an Appleseed yet? If not, you'd be hard pressed to find a better opportunity than 16-17 August in Seelyville ... 40 shooters MAX and 10 awesome Vortex scopes guaranteed to be given away.

Here's a link to more info on this event ... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-appleseed-2-seelyville-august-16th-17th.html

Thanks for the invitation to attend. There's a group in the Northwest Indiana INGO group that has the Appleseed events in Lake Village, Indiana. Have bought a scope and P.E.P.R. mount from A&A Optics. Just need to find time to attend an Appleseed.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Total thread hi-jack coming up ... oh well, stuff happens.

I help with the instruction/story telling at Lake Village (hell, I help with the instructing/story telling every chance I get all around Indiana). Lake Village is an outstanding facility that even allows tent camping on the property during an Appleseed. Get a group of your NWI buddies together and make the next Lake Village Appleseed a party. If I'm working that event, there is guaranteed to be a box of Mary Lou's donuts on Saturday morning (I stop by on my way to the event so they're as fresh as possible).

Do me a favor and get that lazy Pinkie Pie dude back on the line! He's only (3) good shots away from earning his Rifleman status.

Back to the original thread content now ...

Top Bottom