• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Not sure I see anything too different from a standard SR9 , except they done away with that stupid poking up load-chamber indicator; which is a huge plus in my book. :yesway:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    The SR9 and SR9c are my carry guns. I love them. That said, reading the description of the 9E is like reading the description of the SR9. I must be missing something. When they said, "Everything you need and nothing you don't" I automatically thought, no safety, no mag disconnect, no chamber indicator, no engraved safety warnings. I guess I was wrong.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The SR9 and SR9c are my carry guns. I love them. That said, reading the description of the 9E is like reading the description of the SR9. I must be missing something. When they said, "Everything you need and nothing you don't" I automatically thought, no safety, no mag disconnect, no chamber indicator, no engraved safety warnings. I guess I was wrong.

There is a $100 difference in MSRP. I found the comparison sheet which is pretty well hidden. They've gone the Kahr PM9/CM9 route where they cut some non-critical corners to create a cheaper version. Differences:
    • Fixed vs. adjustable 3-dot sights
    • 1 magazine vs. 2 magazines
    • Blued vs. Black Nitride finish
    • Only rear slide serations vs. front + rear
    • Doesn't include a mag loader
    • Doesn't include the hard plastic case
    • No obnoxious loaded chamber indicator

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The largest difference is dovetailed sights, which means the gun is opened up a bit more for aftermarket night sights. I'm curious as well which change they think warrants a $100 price difference.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Biggest price difference, according to the manufacturer's literature, was in the savings of not having to do the extra milling for the front serrations. This also accounts for the slightly higher weight when compared to the SR9. Of course, the cheaper finish, sights, and the elimination of the extra work for the loaded chamber indicator all add to cost reduction.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Biggest price difference, according to the manufacturer's literature, was in the savings of not having to do the extra milling for the front serrations. This also accounts for the slightly higher weight when compared to the SR9. Of course, the cheaper finish, sights, and the elimination of the extra work for the loaded chamber indicator all add to cost reduction.

SR9( full size) doesn't have front serrations, so no weight gain or cost savings to be had there.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    There is a $100 difference in MSRP. I found the comparison sheet which is pretty well hidden. They've gone the Kahr PM9/CM9 route where they cut some non-critical corners to create a cheaper version. Differences:
    • Fixed vs. adjustable 3-dot sights
    • 1 magazine vs. 2 magazines
    • Blued vs. Black Nitride finish
    • Only rear slide serations vs. front + rear
    • Doesn't include a mag loader
    • Doesn't include the hard plastic case
    • No obnoxious loaded chamber indicator
    Touche. That is all.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Why do so many people hate the loaded chamber indicator tab? It hasn't really been a problem for me.

Because they way they made it a huge bar that sticks up is a) obnoxious as hell to look at but more importantly, that I found on my SR40c anyway, is that it prevented the loaded arm to be inserted in the holster positively every time.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    First saw the news about the 9E last night. Figures. Got my SR9 about 5 months ago. Great handgun. This new pistol has less finesse, but the same performance with less price. I would've seriously looked at this had I known it was coming out.

I have a friend who loves my SR9 and wants one of his own, but is married to a woman who says, "no money in the budget" for a new pistol. I'll make sure he finds out about the 9E and it's cheaper price tag. (A rule in my relationship with my wife is, "If I make money, I get to spend it too.")

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Because if you don't know if your firearm is loaded them maybe you shouldn't be handling it. I call them idiot indicators.

Actually I've found it valuable when I'm letting family and friends shoot my LC9 and SR9. Sometimes they'll hit the magazine release while shooting, then wonder why the gun is not firing. I can tell what happened before they did when I see the indicator isn't popped up.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm with most folks. Don't see a big difference between this and the SR9.

I'm glad to see Ruger coming out with new stuff though. I like buying new guns!:shoot:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Love my SR9C, it's my EDC, and with the sights adjusted to my taste (and the mag disconnect removed), it's a bull's-eye machine if I do my part. The LCI doesn't bother me much, but I don't disagree that putting it back in the holster can be catchy with that LCI sticking up. It can easily be removed by knocking out the pin, but it's a little Helen Keller-ish... they could have done it more subtly like Springfield.

I like that I can adjust the elevation of the rear sights on the SR9C. I'm kind of wishy washy on the 9E, but I applaud Ruger for making a simpler gun that more shooters can easily afford.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    $429 MSRP. That means street price of about $350 OTD. I am interested in one. I am a fan of the SR9 series of guns. My only wish is that they would have gotten rid of the manual safeties as well. The 1 magazine is kinda of a bummer as well.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    .....The 1 magazine is kinda of a bummer as well.

I agree, but Ruger had to cut somewhere. You can buy a spare mag from Bud's Guns for $29.97

Ruger 90326 SR9/SR9c Magazine 17RD 9mm $29.97

About $10 shipping. Still cheaper that shopruger.com, LGS or Rural King.

Give it a year or so and this Ruger 9E could really be a good buy on sites like slickguns and Bud's Guns.

In addition, those of us who already took the SR9 plunge may take a hit on our pistol's worth as we compete against Ruger and their budget offering.

Top Bottom