• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Lester If I understand your point correctly you are saying why buy ammo and such for a 6 month ordeal if you only have enough food and water for 3.

Purchasing preps in stages as you mentioned that you should keep everything in check. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, etc. worth of food, water and ammo then move to aquire the next level.

Good Point..

TJ

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I like the idea but it is based on the idea that one cannot obtain goods when a society breaks down. Example. I can get food, water, clothing off the land a lot easier than I can bullets, fuel, tools to live off the land.

I like the concept but it is very general and does not take into account self sufficiency. Now before you say you have accounted for that with the homesteading idea, it will be to late to homestead if your 3 weeks turns into 3 years and your supplies dwindle and you are left with hostess wrappers and wet powder.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Many posters in this thread are completely correct. TEOTWAWKI will consume a significant amount of ammunition. You are going to need a lot. Get it now because there isn't going to be a blue light special after the lights go out. I whole-heartedly agree that ammo is going to be very important.

I would like to point out that I am an advocate of the ammo fort. I have a nice one. What I do not advocate is for anyone person to buy buy buy ammo but not have other preps on-hand. The rule of threes is a guide that helps prioritize well-balanced preparations, instead of spending disposable income on guns/ammo and then saying to yourself, "Someday. I hope I can afford a wheat grinder." Use the rule of threes to avoid falling into the trap of all ammo/no food or all food/no ammo.

Let's apply the rule backwards -- I do not buy more food until I have ammo for three seconds/minutes/weeks/months/etc. If I don't have ammo to last three months, I have no use for a three month food supply because I can't protect it.

Balance. Rule of threes helps achieve this.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Many posters in this thread are completely correct. TEOTWAWKI will consume a significant amount of ammunition. You are going to need a lot. Get it now because there isn't going to be a blue light special after the lights go out. I whole-heartedly agree that ammo is going to be very important.

I would like to point out that I am an advocate of the ammo fort. I have a nice one. What I do not advocate is for anyone person to buy buy buy ammo but not have other preps on-hand. The rule of threes is a guide that helps prioritize well-balanced preparations, instead of spending disposable income on guns/ammo and then saying to yourself, "Someday. I hope I can afford a wheat grinder." Use the rule of threes to avoid falling into the trap of all ammo/no food or all food/no ammo.

Let's apply the rule backwards -- I do not buy more food until I have ammo for three seconds/minutes/weeks/months/etc. If I don't have ammo to last three months, I have no use for a three month food supply because I can't protect it.

Balance. Rule of threes helps achieve this.

:yesway:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    We've been thinking about prepping for awhile and have some basics, but I like this idea as a general prepping strategy. Just "prepping" is a really huge concept and tough to get your head around. We've found it hard to find the line between crazy and prepared and where to allocate funds. Thinking in terms of get what you need for three days before you start thinking about 3 weeks makes sense. I feel like although I can't seem to get a list of supplies together for "prepping" I can get a list of supplies for 3 days. I can do that, and work towards completing it. Then I can make a list for 3 weeks. It's never gotten so clear for me. Thanks a bunch for the idea. I'm not worried about ammo as I'm at the years mark...but the rest is a huge difficult thing to plan and this process has crystallized it for me.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest

I don't like that idea, not that it matters. Between ammunition and food, only one is a physical requirement for life. But the idea of your post, balance, is spot on.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    ...raw materials to make ammunition. Don't stock cartridges, stock thousands of bullets, casings, powder, and reloading equipment to allow yourself to survive an indefinite period. .

The concept of balance is a good one. However I have to take exception with the above quoted comments about relying on reloading.

When is having components better than loaded ammo? NEVER! They are a means to an end, not the end itself. Powder and primers are more susceptible when not assembled. If you choose to reload because its cheaper or you like your pet load, then buy the components and load it all up, while you have time/things are peaceful/the lights are on. When TSHTF is not to time to begin reloading.

As others have said, reloaded ammo is best left for use as practice ammo, the need for which the OP did not mention. One must train to maintain competence...without skills you may not survive to need more than one magazine in a "hostile encounter". So plan to invest the necessary time/money/ammo in professional gunfighting training.

To quote Jeff Cooper, “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Same applies to your ammo stash, no more how large or small.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The concept of balance is a good one. However I have to take exception with the above quoted comments about relying on reloading.

When is having components better than loaded ammo? NEVER! They are a means to an end, not the end itself. Powder and primers are more susceptible when not assembled. If you choose to reload because its cheaper or you like your pet load, then buy the components and load it all up, while you have time/things are peaceful/the lights are on. When TSHTF is not to time to begin reloading.

As others have said, reloaded ammo is best left for use as practice ammo, the need for which the OP did not mention. One must train to maintain competence...without skills you may not survive to need more than one magazine in a "hostile encounter". So plan to invest the necessary time/money/ammo in professional gunfighting training.

To quote Jeff Cooper, “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Same applies to your ammo stash, no more how large or small.

There are many good thoughts and ideas posted in this thread about ammo.
    We lean towards the side of "Enough...what is that" and it is different for everyone based on budget, space and what you are prepping for. We continually train with our firearms to remain competent and confident with them.
    Actually, when do you really have enough if you are prepping. We can not say what will happen, when and how long an event will last.
    Having any real skills is always a plus. I would count reloading as one of the plus skills to have. We do not reload due to time, space and other limitations. We do have some in our circle that do have this skill.
    Once things settled in during a long term SHTF scenario being able to reload all that spent brass would be a positive thing. JMHO

Top Bottom