The Rumors of MY LCP's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As the proverbial Phoenix from the ashes, so too has my LCP been given a second life.

It was just over a year ago that our family home experienced a house fire, and along with many other valuables, a few guns were lost as well. (No injuries to the family, just stuff.) When going through the items to pitch or keep, I nearly tossed the LCP in the trash bin, as it had some frame blistering around the trigger guard and trigger. I thought better of it and decided to keep it for a future project gun, and I sure am glad now that I did. After some frame repair, a new trigger and a custom cerakote job, she looks better than ever. I can also say with complete certainty that she shoots 100% of the time and just as well as before her sunburn.

Work done:
    • Frame bondo job around trigger guard (JB Weld), and sanded to match original contours.
    • Grip areas re-textured (My own texture method done to most of my polymer handguns.)
    • Trigger replaced with the Sweet Pea III adjustable trigger
    • Cerakoted Slide (Tungsten & grahite Black)
    • Cerakoted Frame (Grahite Black)

I hope you like her as much as I do... She's a keeper!

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Thanks Pudly,

Anyone who owns an LCP really should invest in the Sweet Pea III trigger. It changes the super long trigger pull down to a total travel ov about 1/3" or less. My only complaint about the LCP since it was introduced was the long trigger pull, but I have no reason to complain now.

The Sweet Pea III trigger could not be easier to install. It takes only 2 pins to be removed and the steel inner body to be taken out of the polymer frame. With the center pin removed from the trigger, it drops out and the new trigger inserted with its own stainless pin. The rest is just adjusting the set screws for pre-travel and over-travel. Once complete, the trigger is not necessarily lighter, but it feels like it is due to the much reduced travel and the increased leverage of the straighter trigger.

If you own an LCP, do not hesitate getting a Sweet Pea III trigger. You will only kick yourself for having waited as long as you did.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Ajeandy,

The total cost of the repair was far less than buying a new one, even at today's reduced LCP prices.

With the $45 trigger, I would say that the total cost was less than $60 bucks. JB Weld and PC7 epoxy do not cost much and I already invested in the Cerakote for all of my gun projects... And, it takes very little Cerakote on such a small gun.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Just curious, any before pics? Would be cool to see before and after. Nice job.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Although I don't have a pic the LCP at its worst, I do have one at the halfway point when the bondo job was done and the before the grips were re-textured. You can still see the OEM trigger is melted though.

New Pic with the Trigger properly colored and finished.

It has been a fun project. Thanks for looking.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I found another "before" picture that shows how much area that was affected by the heat and required bondo. This pic was from midway through the process, and the grips are already textured.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'll finish this thread with a bang!

This is a pair of groups from today's outing with the refurbished LCP. I have always loved how accurate these little pistols can be, and I love shooting it even more with the Sweet Pea trigger.

Top Bottom