• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't see what the big deal is.

If you love someone, be with them. I don't care who my neighbor loves, whether it be a man or a woman. At the end of the day it has zero impact on my life.

When I say that I 'support' gay marriage, it doesn't mean I'll go hold up signs and protest with them. It just means I really, literally, actually, do not care what two men or two women do or feel about each other. You're straight? Awesome. You're gay? Awesome. How does this impact me? It doesn't? Awesome.

Why this is an issue, I really don't know. Government shouldn't be involved in marriage to begin with.

I'm not religious but I judge people based on character and merit and not on whatever differences that I do not understand that may exist between me and them.

There's no way around it. Property puts it in the govts wheelhouse. If govt doesn't regulate marriage, we would create a bigger headache for ourselves in disputes over property.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There's no way around it. Property puts it in the govts wheelhouse. If govt doesn't regulate marriage, we would create a bigger headache for ourselves in disputes over property.

Yeah...forget the fact that marriage has been around for thousands of years longer than the government.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah...forget the fact that marriage has been around for thousands of years longer than the government.

Has it? I'm doubtful. Of which period are you talking about? Default "govt" I would think either predates or arose the same time as the concept of marriage, either through custom, rules, religion or govt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are many inequalities levied on us because one group is given the higher moral credibility than the other, these are just a few that come off the top of my head without any effort. I am sure that the smarter guys here can come up with even more egregious ones if they put in the effort. Its what we do, its ingrained into every aspect of American culture. Some people bemoan this fact, others rejoice in it. It's pretty hard to refute it though.

As for the jab at Muslems, does it still qualify as a jab if it's true? It's a mute point here in the USA because we prosecute violence against minorities harsher than others (is this another legal inequality?) But there are several so called civilized countries where it is not a jab but rather it is sharia law.

"Further and continuing erosion of my traditional American culture"

At least you're honest about it instead of pretending it cost you something or you'll be forced to participate. Kudos, even if I disagree. American culture is pretty much a "you suck, we hate you...ok you're one of us" over and over and over. Pick a minority. They weren't real popular up front. Then they get integrated into society and we wonder what all the fuss was about.

...and yes, its a jab. Rape is normalized in any Muslim country? How does it compare to, say, India? Or Rwanda? Right. Just a jab.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Rape certainly isn't normalised in Egypt. A teenaged American girl and her boyfriend were assaulted and raped when I lived there. The perpetrators were caught, tried and hanged in short order. That's the norm for rape in a muslim country.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Rape certainly isn't normalised in Egypt. A teenaged American girl and her boyfriend were assaulted and raped when I lived there. The perpetrators were caught, tried and hanged in short order. That's the norm for rape in a muslim country.
    In a Muslim country it's not rape if you give her family a goat first.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In a Muslim country it's not rape if you give her family a goat first.

If a goat was all it took there would be a lot more young married couples in muslim countries. Dowries are often quite large and take quite a while for the average guy to come up with. If you're talking about age of marriage, that's been different in many cultures and states around the world, regardless of religion. Up until the late 80's the age of consent in Mississippi was 12. Lots of good, upstanding christian folks down there and nit a lot of muslims.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Heterosexual couples have been around longer than any type of government. Why is it the government's business? The only think I can think of is money. If gay marriage gets legalized it's just another pointless law, if you change the rights same-sex couples have and call it something like a romantic partnership then we're getting somewhere because that's what they actually want right? I'm not sure it should be called marriage because once it gets to that what is stopping Churches that don't believe in gay marriage from being "discriminists"? ALL people are open to enter into a marriage between a man and women, there is nothing discriminatory if gay persons are not interested in that.

Last edited:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Gay people have the right to marry. To deny them that right goes against everything this country stands for.

Your opinion, & likely others, but not mine.

It's fairly simple, again in my opinion.

Those that I know, that are against gay marriage believe marriage is a union sanctified by God. Most of those, maybe all don't hate gay people, but we do hate homosexuality, same as we do adultery. The people that hate the people as well must read a different book than I read.

Call it gay unions & most, again maybe all, would likely then ignore the issue.

We can argue marriage being "religious" vs not until this thread hits 5,678,456 & beyond, I doubt any of us are going to change our own views on marriage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom