• Status
    Not open for further replies.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Does anyone have any theories as to why Indiana is taking such heat over this bill and the other 18 states that have passed identical or similar bills without so much of a whisper about them?

Maybe because the Lavendar Mafia has more power and street cred than they did when Clinton signed the Federal bill into law some 20 years ago? Not sure what the timing on the individual states' versions of religious protection was, but at this point, their lobby is strong and may be trying to flex their muscle while they perceive they have an advantage.

Or it could be a case somewhat similar to Wisconsin's union ordeal a couple of years back. They feel they have to strike now or risk losing ground, which really isn't that lobby's thing. (Is it any lobby's thing?) Many people I know don't care if someone is gay, I think the page has truly turned on that "taboo" for most of America, even conservatives. Green is still more important than white, brown, black, yellow or pink. That said, seeing some of the, "You won't make me a cake so you're going to be driven out of business as a penalty!" reports that have been in the news recently may be making conservatives want to put up a yellow light for posterity's sake.

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    They've just made a special class of people in Indiana with special made up rights.

Oh you mean like Blacks, Hispanics and Woman right... I mean because they are a special class of people with special made up rights... I am a Christian, and I dont hate gays, but I despise their lifestyle because it is a SIN, an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. If I was a baker, I wouldnt bake gay marriage cakes because it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a gay marriage, the definition of a marriage is the union of a single man and a single woman before the Lord. I have morals, and my morals will not be broken by some government bureaucrat. Oh and I still dont understand why we even need a bill like this because we do have that little thing called the Bill of Rights and in that List of RIGHTS, we have the First Amendment which specifies that we have the freedom to practice religion WITHOUT governmental intrusion.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Oh you mean like Blacks, Hispanics and Woman right... I mean because they are a special class of people with special made up rights... I am a Christian, and I dont hate gays, but I despise their lifestyle because it is a SIN, an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. If I was a baker, I wouldnt bake gay marriage cakes because it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a gay marriage, the definition of a marriage is the union of a single man and a single woman before the Lord. I have morals, and my morals will not be broken by some government bureaucrat. Oh and I still dont understand why we even need a bill like this because we do have that little thing called the Bill of Rights and in that List of RIGHTS, we have the First Amendment which specifies that we have the freedom to practice religion WITHOUT governmental intrusion.

Marriage pre-dates Christianity btw. Sorry to burst that bubble on you. Christianity doesn't "own" the term marriage so go find another one.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

The legislature and governor felt the need to stomp their feet like a child in protest of gay marriage becoming legal. That's my theory anyway. Simple political pandering.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The legislature and governor felt the need to stomp their feet like a child in protest of gay marriage becoming legal. That's my theory anyway. Simple political pandering.

Please quote what part of the Bill that makes gay marriage illegal.

If anybody is stomping their feet like little children it's the vast majority spewing forth ignorance & lies about this Bill.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Please quote what part of the Bill that makes gay marriage illegal.

If anybody is stomping their feet like little children it's the vast majority spewing forth ignorance & lies about this Bill.

It doesn't and that's not the point, though I agree with your last point.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Gee, I guess that means you don't think any other citizens in Indiana might have thought that RFRA was a good idea? That the legislature and the Gov just dreamed that statute up on their own? Nice theory - a bit short-sighted, but . . . nice theory.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Gee, I guess that means you don't think any other citizens in Indiana might have thought that RFRA was a good idea? That the legislature and the Gov just dreamed that statute up on their own? Nice theory - a bit short-sighted, but . . . nice theory.

I can't think of anything else. I had no idea it was even an issue. Was it? I mean, not a single business I've walked into ever in Indiana had mentioned in any way "gee, we would really like this bill." There wasn't even a lobbying group of business owners asking for it. That is the confusing part. Like I said, the GOP was angry about gay marriage and wanted to whine like a bunch of babies.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I can't think of anything else. I had no idea it was even an issue. Was it? I mean, not a single business I've walked into ever in Indiana had mentioned in any way "gee, we would really like this bill." There wasn't even a lobbying group of business owners asking for it. That is the confusing part. Like I said, the GOP was angry about gay marriage and wanted to whine like a bunch of babies.

I'm pretty sure this was explained upthread, but I'll try again: According to Governor Pence and other lawyers, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal RFRA only applied in states which had similar state statutes. In effect, Indiana's RFRA simply enables the federal RFRA. Of course, I suppose the people of Indiana who had gay marriage laws forced on them by a federal court are just "whiners" because they had no say in the matter of how marriage should be defined in their state. Funny how that sounds worse than 3% of the population "whining" about how they should have a "right" that hadn't existed throughout most of the world for most of its history, doesn't it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Does anyone have any theories as to why Indiana is taking such heat over this bill and the other 18 states that have passed identical or similar bills without so much of a whisper about them?
    Timing.... Gay marriage, gay rights, have never been so hotly as is currently is. It is the most hotly debated social issue of this decade.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe because the Lavendar Mafia has more power and street cred than they did when Clinton signed the Federal bill into law some 20 years ago? Not sure what the timing on the individual states' versions of religious protection was, but at this point, their lobby is strong and may be trying to flex their muscle while they perceive they have an advantage.

Or it could be a case somewhat similar to Wisconsin's union ordeal a couple of years back. They feel they have to strike now or risk losing ground, which really isn't that lobby's thing. (Is it any lobby's thing?) Many people I know don't care if someone is gay, I think the page has truly turned on that "taboo" for most of America, even conservatives. Green is still more important than white, brown, black, yellow or pink. That said, seeing some of the, "You won't make me a cake so you're going to be driven out of business as a penalty!" reports that have been in the news recently may be making conservatives want to put up a yellow light for posterity's sake.
    I think you are dead on with timing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom